PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy a new tv

Boomstick
May 3rd, 2011, 07:06 AM
Hey everyone, I wanted to pick yalls brain a little. As the title of the thread suggests I am shopping around for a new plasma TV. I found a great deal on a Samsung PN50C5000 but before I rush out to buy it I wanted to see if A.)If anybody knew anything about Samsung plasma TV's and B.)Any recommendations on a particular model? I look forward to hearing yalls feedback.

nikvoodoo
May 3rd, 2011, 07:29 AM
Imo, if its a samsung its worth buying. just saying.

itsallgoodie
May 3rd, 2011, 07:55 AM
well we have a samsung super thin tv. not sure exactly what its called, and it has trouble putting out one specific pitch of sound, it vibrates and sounds horrible. I had a smaller on that I did the same thing. My insignia doesnt do that. Its particularly noticeable when watching harry potter, not sure why.

Boomstick
May 3rd, 2011, 08:53 AM
itsallgoodie you wouldn't happen to know the model/year of your samsung?

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
May 3rd, 2011, 12:50 PM
Samsung makes some of the better HDTV's. You should check to make sure they have a PC/Monitor slot, at LEAST 2 rows of component cable hookups(older DVD players), and at least 3 HDMI ports for:
1. DVD/Blu Ray player
2. Game Console
3. Laptop (watch amazon.com movies, Hulu or Netflix)

The other thing you need to be aware of is the refresh rate. That's actually the most important thing. I'm not sure what size TV you're looking at or how much you want to spend.. anyway, 720p and 1080p all depends on the size tv and size room.

You won't be able to tell the diffrence between the two on anything 50' or smaller. If you go larger than 50' then you want roll with 1080p. Now, the refresh rate: Don't settle for anything lower than 120hz.
If you have to, go with 720p with 600hz. The higher the hz the better the refresh rate is.
Refresh is the amount of time the tv pixilates. You've seen digital broadcasts where you see something moving and the tv can't keep up with it and you get a pixilated blur running off to whatever side the object moved to.
The higher the refresh rate, the less blur you get.. or NO blur. I think 600hz is the max right now.

You want to look at how deep the BLACKS are too. I'm not sure why that's the best indicator of definition, but it is. The deeper the black the better picture you get. Also, before you buy, ask "them" to take it off store mode so you can really see what the picture will look like.

Crap! I forgot you'll need another HDMI port for your Cable or Dish box if you want to get Hi Def pictures with their Hi Def boxes.

Boomstick
May 3rd, 2011, 01:54 PM
Thanks for the info Crowbar, I am looking @ getting a Samsung PN50C5000, its a 50 inch plasma. it has 600hz refresh rate. I didn't think of having them switch from store mode to normal mode. Also the tv i am looking at is a display model, what is your take on that?

itsallgoodie
May 3rd, 2011, 01:59 PM
I am fairly certain that that is the one that we have. after googleing it. and i had a non-super thin one that had the same issue, while getting my insignia, doesnt have that problem, it seemed to me that the speaker systems may not be as high quality as some others, but who knows, maybe it was just our luck of the draw.

fraggot
May 3rd, 2011, 07:17 PM
Actually watch a HDTV running at a refresh rate higher then 60 before you buy it. It does give off a weird look that's not normal to you're usual viewing. Some people don't notice it or don't care about it, but I cannot stand it. If it makes any sense, it gives the appearance of real life on your TV which you'd think would look cool, but it doesn't to me. Movies should have a cinema like quality to them that real life can't replicate.

Also make sure you look at the Contrast Ratio, the higher the better. 1000:1 is utter crap, you want something at least like in the higher thousands or even millions(I believe only LED TVs can achieve currently). It'll make your blacks look much blacker and your other colors much more vivid. Wherever you buy your tv from they're going to try to sell you these super diamond ultra gold HDMI cables that are just $5 cables slapped with a $90 price tag. Check out www.monoprice.com, you can get really long cables for ANY need for almost pocket change in some cases and they're just as good as some ridiculously overpriced cable Best Buy is trying to sell you.

Actually watch something on the TV you're thinking of purchasing, don't just look at how thin it is or the cool video playing on it. Ask if you can play something on it, like a movie if they'll allow you to do so. I also recommend anything Sony, specifically the Bravia line. They pack in a lot of features especially if you buy other devices with the Sony name, they all sync together in a nice fashion. Basically, I can control anything Sony from any other Sony product with a Bravia tv.

I'm rambling, peace haha

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
May 4th, 2011, 07:05 AM
Bruce,

It seems that you're budgeting and a display model along with it probably being 720p should save you some serious cheese. I say go for it as long as the warranty is still there.
I think the Samsungs have USB/HDMI/Coax inputs on the side and the back. Fraggot brought up a good point.. DON'T let them talk you into $30.00 HDMI cables. I bought mine from Amazon with gold tips for 8 dead prez and they have built in ethernet as well.
The last thing I'll add is check out www.cnet.com then Bestbuy.com for reviews of the TV.

Crowbar out!

Boomstick
May 4th, 2011, 07:15 AM
Thanks yall for the input. One last thing do any of you have any recommendations on the brand of HDMI cables? What brand are your cables?

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
May 4th, 2011, 07:31 AM
These are the ones I have:

http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-High-Speed-Cable-Meters/dp/B003L1ZYYM/ref=pd_cp_e_2