PDA

View Full Version : Ever been in a survival situation?

Tandem25
May 1st, 2011, 08:05 PM
Hurricanes Charley, Frances, and Jeanne hit Florida in the span of 2 months in 2004. I was livimg there with my fiance (who I later married). When the first hurricane was coming I sent her to her family in north GA and I stayed. I was tasked by my company with being on call in case of an emergency release of chemicals from any of our clients. I got caught working in south central FL and got to see real devastation. Long story short... At one point I was using the welder on my truck for power, Eating FEMA 's MRE's, waiting on sporatic deliveries of fuel from my company, and staying in a place with 3 walls... All this while still reporting to work. It sucked.
That experience really opened my eyes. I thought I was ready for anything. I made it though, no worse for wear, but it changed my attitude towards preparedness.

I didn't feel like I was in danger (except during the actual hurricanes) but I did deal with looters and having to help others a lot.
What are your experiences?

cycogod
May 2nd, 2011, 03:08 PM
tornado's in 1988. seen the entire sky rotating,scary stuff - we had like 6 or 8 that night. we went to the bar and drank alot, in a short amount of time. we ending up outside and watched them drop down into the park and grab giant old trees and pull them out of the ground and shread them.. the sounds were amazing. sirens still fascinate me

Tandem25
May 2nd, 2011, 03:15 PM
Wow. Scary stuff. I didn't grow up around tornado sirens. My wife did. She said that they practiced duck and cover in school with the sirens. Crazy. Must have been amazing to see the big trees shreaded.