PDA

View Full Version : Physical supplies to survive

j0be
Apr 30th, 2011, 02:05 PM
I was thinking back to when they were trying to grow food to help supply the tower. I started doing some research and found this amazing info graphic. From my estimated count the tower was at about 30-40 residents. This means to me that there was no way they were self sustaining. Thoughts?

http://1bog.org/files/2011/01/backyard_farm.jpg (http://1bog.org/blog/live-off-the-land-2/)

COsurvivor
Apr 30th, 2011, 03:28 PM
Question: How much water is enough during a disaster?

Answer:

Most authorities suggest keeping at least a 3-day supply of water on hand in case of a disaster. The common definition of a 3-day supply is 3 gallons per person: half to drink and half to use for cooking and sanitation. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) even recommends drinking your half gallon every day during an emergency, no matter what. In hot weather, or for special cases like pregnancy or illness, the CDC recommends drinking closer to a gallon per day.

Most experts, including the CDC, warn against rationing. Drink it and more will come, they say. I agree that we shouldn't ration water supplies, but I'm not sure we should force ourselves to drink. There's a difference between depriving yourself of water in order to save it for later, and just not drinking all of it because you're not thirsty.

While not expressly stated, the suggestion to drink at least 64 ounces of water every day during a disaster comes from a longstanding myth that people need to drink 8 glasses of water. In reality, thirst is a good indicator for how much each person needs to drink and 64 ounces is an estimate of the total fluid intake the average person needs -- from all sources (tea, coffee, soda, fruit, water, clam chowder, baked beans...you get the picture).

Obey your thirst. Don't be afraid to drink water during an emergency. Indeed, you'll need to stay hydrated to stay healthy, but you don't need to force yourself to drink simply for the sake of drinking. Common sense suggests that you'll need the same amount of water during a disaster that you would need any other time.

If you follow the official recommendations for storing water -- a gallon per day per person -- and drink what you need, you should have more than enough to get by.

Source:

Valtin, H. "'Drink at least eight glasses of water a day.' Really? Is there scientific evidence for '8 x 8'?." American journal of physiology. Regulatory, integrative, and comparative physiology. Nov 2002.

fairyfartz
May 1st, 2011, 06:57 AM
I read years ago that a 6x6 foot garden would supply enough produce for a family of 4 per year. But I doubt that took into account all the nutritional needs. I think it was more about cutting produce costs.
http://lifehacker.com/#!5202849/grow-100-lbs-of-potatoes-in-4-square-feet
This could also offer a little insight into different growing methods.

Eviebae
May 1st, 2011, 08:59 AM
Fire good (http://www.grannysstore.com/Wilderness_Survival/Swedish_Fire_Steel.htm)

Luna Guardian
May 1st, 2011, 01:34 PM
Fire good (http://www.grannysstore.com/Wilderness_Survival/Swedish_Fire_Steel.htm)

Fire good, but you'll do much better with something other than that. I've had very bad experiences with that particular product. A decent supply of matches, if stored properly, will last you a long time. When you run out, good old flint and steel will work fine. You should also learn a few other tricks if you find yourself deprived of these essentials.

As for the land: goshdarnit! Well, I'm fairly sure my escape plans are still valid, due to the massive amounts of fish, but I better make a few calculations. I also will have to double check that information, but not right now. It's bedtime for me :p

Tandem25
May 1st, 2011, 06:03 PM
Great graphic Thanks Jobe! I've always thought that 5 acres of good land with a well would be perfect. Nice to know that you could do it with less than 2.
BTW I come from a family of farmers (and LEO's... for whatever that matters) and I know that it takes a lot of time and hard work to get any kind of garden going. You could eat up all of your livestock waiting for an ear of corn. You would need to have an esablished gardening system or hella supplies to get you through.

Eviebae
May 1st, 2011, 06:52 PM
Fire good, but you'll do much better with something other than that. I've had very bad experiences with that particular product.

What were your experiences?
This is what I have (http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/tools/754d/)

Maybe the Maya Dust helps, but a char cloth (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Char_cloth) is also effective.
what about a pocket Fresnel Lens?

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
May 2nd, 2011, 07:41 AM
What they teach us in the military is that by the time you feel thirst, it's too late.. you're dehydrated. Stay hydrated. You're urine color is the indicator for hydration levels. Dark color.. drink. The lighter the color, less water is needed. It happens very quickly though.

I also did some research on potatos and it said that it could take up to 90 days them to grow. That's a long ass time!

Eviebae
May 2nd, 2011, 01:10 PM
What they teach us in the military is that by the time you feel thirst, it's too late.. you're dehydrated.

That's what I heard too. Also, that people sometimes mistake thirst for hunger and eat when they are thirsty.

You can get very intensive with gardening--including the tops of buildings--using raised beds and hanging growers. Lot's of weeds are edible.

Teethingbiscuit
May 2nd, 2011, 05:59 PM
90 days is a long ass time Bar! That is under ideal conditions too. What if there is no sun due to fallout or heavens forbid too much sun because of climate change. (It was a cold assed winter here).
And if this is how the apocolypse comes then, my dear Luna, the fish may be gone as well. We don't know that the infection doesn't extend to animals. Just one bite (either way? fish on decaying corpse? or corpse on lingering fish. Then we have to worry about blood thirsty Zombie Sharks.)(And don't even get me started on fish mutations cause if anyone starts talking about flying zombie sharks we are F***ed!)
Teeth Chattering

double post.
I keep thinking about it because they are viable source of protein and have a quick turnaround time if you can find them and rear them. I am of course talking bugs.
Still ticking, but bugs in my Teeth

Luna Guardian
May 2nd, 2011, 11:41 PM
90 days is a long ass time Bar! That is under ideal conditions too. What if there is no sun due to fallout or heavens forbid too much sun because of climate change. (It was a cold assed winter here).
And if this is how the apocolypse comes then, my dear Luna, the fish may be gone as well. We don't know that the infection doesn't extend to animals. Just one bite (either way? fish on decaying corpse? or corpse on lingering fish. Then we have to worry about blood thirsty Zombie Sharks.)(And don't even get me started on fish mutations cause if anyone starts talking about flying zombie sharks we are F***ed!)
Teeth Chattering

double post.
I keep thinking about it because they are viable source of protein and have a quick turnaround time if you can find them and rear them. I am of course talking bugs.
Fair enough, but if the infection can jump species, then there's no plan that'll help us. Birds and mosquitoes, bees and spiders will get everyone pretty quickly.

And if Finland runs out of fish, then I'm pretty much fucked, since we can't really grow more than one crop a year here, maybe two if we're lucky.

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
May 3rd, 2011, 07:01 AM
Teeth Chattering

double post.

As far as plants and growing things.. I know that potatos can be grown in the dark and just need soil. What I read is that a lot of people use old tires to grow them. There are lots of ways to grow viable food sources, BUTTTT, you'd need someone hella experienced at it or access to the books.
Actually we do know that the infection is human specific. Marcus stated that dogs are immune and it's one of the reasons he kept them as guards..besides being loyal.

Teethingbiscuit
May 3rd, 2011, 07:02 AM
touche my friend touche
even if the bugs only become carriers instead of the infected (i.e. eating infected flesh) then the spread is much farther and deeper than any bunker can handle. *hangs head to weep*
we just can't battle the bugs too... unless they are huge and ravenous, but that is a different story.
noTeeth

edit: thanks for remembering that tidbit Bar. I feel better already. I hear you on the books. still wonder if I should be downloading the internet onto a portable, or at least part of it. Think it is brilliant of KC to keep the survivors away from the Libraries on account of the Smarties. books are forever unless they burn or unless they are guarded by army of deadly undead.
biscuits

Luna Guardian
May 3rd, 2011, 07:04 AM
touche my friend touche
even if the bugs only become carriers instead of the infected (i.e. eating infected flesh) then the spread is much farther and deeper than any bunker can handle. *hangs head to weep*
we just can't battle the bugs too... unless they are huge and ravenous, but that is a different story.
noTeeth
Yet another reason to hate ants and mosquitoes...

@ Corwbar: You can never be too careful :p