mem
Apr 22nd, 2011, 08:10 AM
my son called squirrels "Squirters"
the fridge was the "Fridgey"
I call my blackberry a "Blackcherry"
usb cables are "US-Bahs"
my boss and I do not format a hard drive we "Floormat" it
being southern of course it's "Winders 7" not Windows 7

And to always remember a good friend of mine from high school who was a Scottish exchange student. I still say "petrol", "boot" and "windscreen".

nikvoodoo
Apr 22nd, 2011, 08:36 AM
The way theater folk attach schedule 40 pipe to each other is with a clamp called a cheeseborough.

I've never heard it called by its proper name. We always call them cheeseburgers

ObamaCat
Apr 22nd, 2011, 08:57 AM
Well I'm Canadian, so "eh" is a part of everyday conversation. Other than that I don't have a lot of odd words, my friends occasionally call things "minty", meaning smooth, fresh and/or awesome (it applies to things like bike/ski jumps).

lkiam
Apr 28th, 2011, 01:19 PM
As a Scotsman, there's a lot of words used commonly here which aren't used anywhere else. Words such as glaikit. Words are also often pronounced and spelled differently here than anywhere else, fae being an example.

itsallgoodie
Apr 28th, 2011, 01:24 PM
so in lost there is a part where he yells, "we gotta go back" but my friend heard "we gobba go back" so we always replace the word gotta with gobba. we also call the xbox an xbax. sounds funnier.

Luna Guardian
Apr 28th, 2011, 01:35 PM
One of my friends in the Uni says "What the grandma?" when she finds something baffling

Rock Daddy
Apr 28th, 2011, 02:14 PM
Hmm. Well, I'd like to think I use the same vernacular as most Americans. However, I'm from NJ, so it's chock-full of little verbal treasures, some of you may not be familiar with. For one, speech is a little more nasaly with more emphasis on dragging out the "A"s in words, especially the closer to New York you go. Here's a few from my neck of the woods...

1) Parkway & Turnpike Exits: the staples of NJ driving navigation.
2) Jug-Handle: A "U" turn which most of the time is never a U shape. It's a turn-off to a traffic light that crosses the highway.
3) Circles (a NJ roundabout)
4) Soda (NOT pop)
5) Subs (NOT heroes or hoagies)
6) Pork Roll: the most delicious breakfast sandwich in the world.
7) Bennies: Slang used by locals to describe summer tourists from North Jersey or NY that vacation on... sigh... the NJ shore
8) East Bumble-Fuck (the middle of nowhere)

Some words I personally use a lot. "Awesome", "Sick", "Man", "Dude", "Ya Know", "Probly" instead of probably, "Sumpin" instead of something, "Nuthin" instead of nothing... and oh yeah... curse words. Not cuss words or swears.

Craneses
Apr 28th, 2011, 02:39 PM
Growing up with Trinidadian parents in Canada, i have a lot of odd words that bug me.

Slow down the volume = Turn down the volume.
Axe = Ask
Ting = Thing
Take off the lights = Turn off the lights
I'll lick ya up = I'll beat the shit out of you lmao.
Steups = Apparently my friends didn't know it when you suck ur teeth.

And just a lot of other words combined together.

Whappen = What happened.

Haha i either got corrected or made fun of for talking like that, eventually i learned. =P My family didn't. =P

mem
Apr 28th, 2011, 03:21 PM
All these are great. i think the unique words like in the above examples are what make our language that much more colorful. Imagine the poor soul learning english around a bunch of folks like us that have our own unique way of saying things. : ) Keep 'em coming !

Ra1th
Apr 28th, 2011, 03:41 PM
When I was a kid like really really young, like learning to talk young I'd call things that ended in cket, teck. so I'd call jacket, jatecks stuff like that

Teethingbiscuit
Apr 28th, 2011, 04:31 PM
Well I'm Canadian, so "eh" is a part of everyday conversation. Other than that I don't have a lot of odd words, my friends occasionally call things "minty", meaning smooth, fresh and/or awesome (it applies to things like bike/ski jumps).

What aboot "peelers" neighbor to the north?

OC have you ever heard how your country got its name? a few folk walked up to an alphabet pile and the first grabbed a "C", ehe? the second grabbed an "N", ehe? and the third grabbed a "D", ehe?

Daughter threw up in a trash can and said she scoobied!

Tooth
(peelers are strippers) Never been to see a stripping...mmm entertainment establishment.

Eitri
Apr 28th, 2011, 05:57 PM
I have my own made up language that i use, compriesed of the combination of random words.

Bushbach (boosh-bach): whatever/ a curse.

Ayne (eye-ine): ok/ yes
and some others i cant remember.
I rest my case