Apr 21st, 2011, 06:43 PM
how about that revolution knows as the Playstation Network ? nice outage - junk

MrScott101
Apr 21st, 2011, 07:02 PM
good thing I'm stuck at work then!!

Hellbringer
Apr 21st, 2011, 07:30 PM

Heard about that and then read about it on gamespot. Before the article, I figured it was ANONYMOUS doing a DOS attack on Sony... again. If that's the case, I should be glad Microsoft isn't doing anything like Sony to piss off some hackers.

Rumor going around is that PSN may be down through the weekend, which doesn't bode well for anyone.

Craneses
Apr 21st, 2011, 09:13 PM
Outage sucks, and yeah sony said itll take a couple days to fix. They did say its caused by a third party.

Stuck to my offline games atm, like mass effect 2. haha. this game is epicc.

cycogod
Apr 22nd, 2011, 10:35 AM
it's gotta be a pissed hacker cell , man i can't get the epic glory of my new bronze trophy

Luna Guardian
Apr 22nd, 2011, 11:04 AM
If this originates from 4chan, it's yet another reason to hate that website. Still, whatever the cause, this sucks (not so much for me personally, as I'm busy busy studying and renovating. It's been more than a week since I even powered up my PS3)

Craneses
Apr 22nd, 2011, 08:03 PM
Well an update is that Anonymous wasn't behind it, it was someone who got into the their systems, so they had to shut down everything to deal with it without any problems.

White_Crow05
Apr 23rd, 2011, 10:14 AM
I would be much more upset if i was paying 60 bucks a year. Given that i'm not actually losing anything with the network being down i just play off line and deal with it.

Luna Guardian
Apr 23rd, 2011, 11:22 AM
I would be much more upset if i was paying 60 bucks a year. Given that i'm not actually losing anything with the network being down i just play off line and deal with it.

Well said. + Rep

Ra1th
Apr 23rd, 2011, 06:24 PM
So apparently this was the message anonymous sent to sony the day before the attack

http://vghq.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Anonymous-Sony.png

Craneses
Apr 23rd, 2011, 07:13 PM
So apparently this was the message anonymous sent to sony the day before the attack

Anonymous' letter: http://vghq.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Anonymous-Sony.png

That was a different attack, about one or two weeks ago, they did get some sites down. But this is what they posted today.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldtNivuSxoQ

cycogod
Apr 23rd, 2011, 07:25 PM
this is a black eye to sony, too bad the attack hurts the user the most.

riskbreaker23
Apr 25th, 2011, 12:13 PM

Please don't turn this into a fanboy post. PS3 doesn't suck, and neither does the Xbox. Apparently you haven't heard of the many times Xbox live gets hacked/outages. It isn't even in the news as much anymore because it happens so often.

I could actually point to a story on Joystiq about 2 weeks ago (but I'm lazy) about one of the top Xbox Live managers having his live account hacked. The Infamous Major Nelson has had his Live account hacked as well.

What you should be doing, Cycogod is railing against these hackers. We're all gamers and we should be united. I don't have a 360 simply because Time does not permit it and money does not permit it. But if I could have one, you're damn right I'd buy one. If you got a PS3 for free with its best games on the system, you'd enjoy it. Just be honest with yourself about that.

Ra1th
Apr 25th, 2011, 01:19 PM
Please don't turn this into a fanboy post. PS3 doesn't suck, and neither does the Xbox. Apparently you haven't heard of the many times Xbox live gets hacked/outages. It isn't even in the news as much anymore because it happens so often.

I could actually point to a story on Joystiq about 2 weeks ago (but I'm lazy) about one of the top Xbox Live managers having his live account hacked. The Infamous Major Nelson has had his Live account hacked as well.

What you should be doing, Cycogod is railing against these hackers. We're all gamers and we should be united. I don't have a 360 simply because Time does not permit it and money does not permit it. But if I could have one, you're damn right I'd buy one. If you got a PS3 for free with its best games on the system, you'd enjoy it. Just be honest with yourself about that.

this isnt a troll thread about the ps3 sucking, it's about the hack on psn

riskbreaker23
Apr 25th, 2011, 02:05 PM
I gotcha, but the opening words are "Ps3 suks". Sorry, I just had to point out that the hacking on PSN isn't because the PSN is inherently insecure. It's hackers abilities to do what they want to do. Everyone gets attacked by hackers. Heck, the US Depertment of defense gets hacked. And Xbox Live is hacked on a daily basis, I assure you.

Ra1th
Apr 25th, 2011, 02:29 PM
I gotcha, but the opening words are "Ps3 suks". Sorry, I just had to point out that the hacking on PSN isn't because the PSN is inherently insecure. It's hackers abilities to do what they want to do. Everyone gets attacked by hackers. Heck, the US Depertment of defense gets hacked. And Xbox Live is hacked on a daily basis, I assure you.

Cool, just makin sure things don't spiral into a flame war

cycogod
Apr 25th, 2011, 09:20 PM
it's a great space heater... my ps3's have lasted longer than my xbox's - 2 rrod

j0be
Apr 26th, 2011, 02:06 PM
Just for reference, Sony released what was causing this. Basically, with one of the mods someone made for the rooted consoles allowed some modded units to log into the developer's version of the PSN store and purchase things without credit card validation. (EG: get anything from the store for free.)

Mikeyd2tall
Apr 26th, 2011, 02:07 PM
i think it can be solved. sony should just buy everyone with a PS3 a really good gaming laptop or an xbox 360 lol. no but really i think this shows how ill prepared sony is for being a gaming industry.

j0be
Apr 26th, 2011, 02:35 PM
i think it can be solved. sony should just buy everyone with a PS3 a really good gaming laptop or an xbox 360 lol. no but really i think this shows how ill prepared sony is for being a gaming industry.

I wouldn't say they were ill prepared for hacking. They were actually the last pillar to fall, but they didn't ever expect their pillar to fall, and thus were hit hard when it did.

Mikeyd2tall
Apr 26th, 2011, 02:35 PM
I wouldn't say they were ill prepared for hacking. They were actually the last pillar to fall, but they didn't ever expect their pillar to fall, and thus were hit hard when it did.
well said. but the psp was hacked also. i do belive that was one of the first with the wii.

j0be
Apr 26th, 2011, 02:51 PM
Yeah. They learned a lot from the PSP, but they've now got even more experience with this now.

cycogod
Apr 26th, 2011, 02:54 PM
the xbox and xbox 360 were both cracked wide open fairly early in their lifecycle. you could softmod or chip an original xbox (Jtag for xbox360) , pretty easy stuff but log in with a cracked xbox360 and the ban hammer comes pretty swift. . the ps3 was busted open and sony freaked out and then pissed the wrong people off. better check your credit cards and info... the ps3 was just starting to get good. if it's software based ,it's gonna get cracked- end of line.

Ra1th
Apr 26th, 2011, 06:14 PM
so the plot thickens

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/116/1164186p1.html

sony just cant catch a break lately

MrScott101
Apr 26th, 2011, 06:48 PM
already in the process of changing stuff around passwords and cards, this bites!! Not only do I not get to use my ps3 but now I have to change all my stuff. I had a ton of saved passwords for several sites on the ps3!

Luna Guardian
Apr 26th, 2011, 10:41 PM
Luckily I only have to change my PSN password, still, this sucks

j0be
Apr 27th, 2011, 10:02 AM
Just to kind of keep this in check, your saved browser passwords would not have been compromised. However, if you use the same password for your psn login and the email address associated with your account I would advise you to change your email password. Really, I would advise everyone to do regular password changes, but that's just me.

Also, there was no evidence that the perpetrators obtained credit card info, but they said it was possible.

My biggest disappointment in this is actually that Sony left people's passwords unsalted. That's just irresponsible.

Luna Guardian
May 2nd, 2011, 11:34 PM
So, the PSN should be up thiis week. Your thoughts?

Personally, I'm happy, but I still don't have the time to play :(

cycogod
May 3rd, 2011, 09:32 AM
I wonder how much has changed or been redesigned? I bet this is gonna be a secure sight, maybe even a pain to manage. There gonna be gun shy about this stuff from now on. Happiness more bronze trophies...

j0be
May 4th, 2011, 08:56 AM
About the attack <br />
<br />
Not related to Anonymous, although they did bring up that they were being attacked by them for the past few months (repeatedly stated it was limited to DDoS). <br />
This intrusion was...