PDA

View Full Version : Game of Thrones

Luna Guardian
Apr 19th, 2011, 09:28 AM
Well, the new series has gone underway and from what I can judge by the first episode, it's going to be good. Like, really good.
I've never read the books so I can't say how the series compares. What I can say however is, that the acting's top-notch and the story has me hooked. I'm very interested in learning more about this world and seeing where this series will go to, having no knowledge about the books what so ever. Although from what I can tell, the Lannisters are bad.

Anyone else seen it yet?

StepLaugh
Apr 19th, 2011, 09:33 AM
No I havent seen it yet, going to check it out today. This might make me finally start reading the books. They are huge and kinda daunting.

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Apr 19th, 2011, 09:40 AM
What the heck are you two waiting for? Read the gosh darned series! Sheesh! Best Adult fantasy series ever! Just don't get attached to any one character!
The first episode was pretty damn good. I loved the "White Walkers" look. They need to CGI the wolves a bit later because of their size.
The sucky part is knowing who gets it, how, when and why. It's one thing to read it, but now it's going to be up close and personal.

StepLaugh
Apr 19th, 2011, 09:43 AM
OK OK I'll pick it up next time I go to the book store! haha

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Apr 19th, 2011, 09:51 AM
LOL.. dammit, that's why they have Amazon!
um, be prepared for a massive volume though. The reading is very good and it flows well. You don't have to worry about any Robert Jordanist extended descriptions of cloth or tree bark!

Luna Guardian
Apr 19th, 2011, 10:51 AM
Hehe, if I ever get the time to read books unrelated to economics, marketing or other business-related subjects, I promise I will read the series :D. For now though, I have a bazillion books kindly asking me to read them, but I have to say no to each one. No time :( .

I also liked to look of the White Walkers, whatever the hell they were (I'm thinking some kind of undead/demon/cursed folk, but can't say for sure. And I ain't about to ruin anything by reading about anything from anywhere)

COsurvivor
Apr 19th, 2011, 03:06 PM
This series looks great... I saw the specials HBO created for each family and even specials on behind the scenes and much more... I love that Sean Bean is the Lead Actor of the series!

j0be
Apr 20th, 2011, 07:03 AM
I guess this will have to be added to my Queue. Anyone know if the book series has an audiobook format?

COsurvivor
Apr 20th, 2011, 10:08 PM
I guess this will have to be added to my Queue. Anyone know if the book series has an audiobook format?

look that up on amazon...

janet963
Jun 1st, 2011, 02:45 AM
Very nice tv series this is, I really love to have this one with me.

shric debar
Jun 4th, 2011, 11:13 AM
i am loving GoT so far

Death to the Lannisters

Ctatyk Frost
Jun 5th, 2011, 06:15 PM
I'm going to avoid reading the books until after each is brought into the series. I know that HBO has opted for book 2 after the first episode. So, once they complete book one, I'll read it. I don't want to know who is going to die & the like. This is one of the few series that I've not read or at least attempted to read (can't force myself to read more than about 50 pages of Tolkien before I'm sick of his writing style...).

Ctatyk Frost
Jun 5th, 2011, 06:16 PM
LOL.. dammit, that's why they have Amazon!
um, be prepared for a massive volume though. The reading is very good and it flows well. You don't have to worry about any Robert Jordanist extended descriptions of cloth or tree bark!

Are you sure that you don't have Jordan confused with Tolkien? I had no problem reading the entire Wheel of Time series by Jordan....

Magrat
Jun 6th, 2011, 11:45 PM
Most shows I watch, after an episode or two I skip the opening credits. With GOT I've been loving the hell out of the opening credits each episode. It helps that the thing changes depending on what's in the episode. Awesome stuff.

Tandem25
Jun 15th, 2011, 07:28 AM
I recently caught the first episode. It was pretty good. I shall be adding this to my list of shows to watch.

shric debar
Jun 16th, 2011, 08:27 AM
after watching the latest episode i have one thing to say.

GEOFFREY MUST DIE!!!!!!

badhead
Aug 10th, 2011, 02:45 PM
just got into it. Great stuff

Lavitz
Aug 10th, 2011, 02:49 PM
I watched it over my last break, I really love it.
I've heard it doesn't compare to the books, which is awesome cause I'll have to check them out when I'm done with the show.

Grognaurd
Aug 19th, 2011, 06:33 AM
Hmmm....

Maybe Baldiing Fat Guys over 40 are not the target audience. (8 I can not remember seeing any commercials.

Bullethead
Jun 5th, 2012, 06:59 AM
Not sure if anyone is going to bring this back up but who saw the finale!?

ClearSights
Jun 5th, 2012, 07:42 AM
I just watched the microsoft E3 press conference and am going to start watching this now

Bullethead
Jun 5th, 2012, 08:15 AM
Season 2 won't disappoint. Was an epic final 2 episodes imho. I won't reveal any spoilers I guess. Perhaps someone can make a GoT Spoiler thread or in the future I'll preceed my comments with a spoiler alert

Litmaster
Apr 21st, 2013, 06:10 AM
Hi Guys,

I was going to start a "Game of Thrones" thread, but saw there were already several so I'm reviving this older thread instead. Being a fantasy enthusiast in general (most recently with Joe Abercrombie's First Law series), I have known about the reputation of George R.R. Martin and the Song of Fire and Ice series, but have avoided it until now because I generally don't like to read a series that isn't finished (I'm doing enough waiting around for the final installment with We're Alive; I don't need to do it in my reading as well).

But recently I had some time available and decided, "Screw it." I'm currently about halfway through Game of Thrones, which I am enjoying. I have purposely avoided any spoilers so I have no knowledge of what happens later in the plot, but it mainly strikes me as a political thriller blown through a fantasy lens. I also know that HBO has a series based on the book series, which I also haven't seen because I don't have HBO and always choose to read the book before the movie/tv upon which it is based.

Quick question for those of you who have been watching Game of Thrones on HBO:
1. Does it follow closely with the plot of the books, or does it take liberties?
2. Does it follow the chronology of the books, or does it re-arrange events for television?
3. It is worth watching?

I'm not sure yet whether I should start on the TV series, so anyone that can give me some input would be appreciated in the form of a Lit-REP.
Oh, and no spoilers, please. :)

Bullethead
Apr 4th, 2014, 07:57 AM
Lit,

I am sorry to take a full year to respond. I have not read the books, I am as they say "Unsullied". My girlfriend however, has read all of the books. She loves the books (hates the wait for R.R. Martin).

Have asked all the questions you had and I will answer them on her behalf.
1. Season 1 and 2 may as well had the Books as their scripts. It is almost Word for Word by the book.
2. It does follow the chronology, which becomes rather tricky with books 4 + 5, even book 3 as Dany Targaryen's story pretty much comes to a hault. Not a spoiler, Martin just focus' more on other story lines. He writes word for word, meaning if he's wrapped up in one story line that is where he spends most of his time. Ever the more present with books 4+5.
3.YES! YES! Why are you still reading this? YES! Simply the best show on television bar none.

Shall we continue this thread for us *Unsullied* or shall we make a new thread for Show watchers only ? I am so Amped for sunday, picking up the new Game of Thrones Beer after work today.

http://agentsofgeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Ommegang-Fire-Blood-Red-Ale-top.png

Elisa
Apr 4th, 2014, 05:45 PM
1) It tries to follow the books and it does a decent job but it can't put everything into the series so it does cut and change some, but not in critical areas.
2) Yes it does follow the chronology for the most part but sometimes it will move things around so that Dany has something to do or Arya. But nothing negatively reflects the story.
3) OH HELL YES! Best TV on television. Great acting. Fabulous scenery and directing. The books come to life with joy.

Winter is coming! Fire and Blood!

PS I only buy HBO for the 3 months of GOT each year. :D

And if you want to talk books - I am so there :yay:

tonyhind86
Apr 5th, 2014, 01:06 PM
And if you want to talk books - I am so there :yay:

I'm still super excited for the release of Winds of Winter; Dance With Dragons ended on too many cliffhangers!

Winds of Winter is Coming. Soon hopefully :yay:

Gooer
Apr 5th, 2014, 02:43 PM
Monday: going to be a good day. Game of thrones returns AND We're Alive. What could be better?

tonyhind86
Apr 6th, 2014, 03:50 AM
Mondays are going to be double exciting for the next 10 weeks :D

Bullethead
Apr 7th, 2014, 03:26 AM
My girlfriend was not happy with the episode last night. But she was expecting something big to happen. Said it was all filler. But I rather enjoyed it. Reintroduced us viewers to the cast and the story lines.

I'm very curious as to what Littlefinger's reception was like up at the Vale. I'm liking Arya and the Hounds future of destruction. And really excited to see who Oberlyn kills first. Tywin or Joffery. He's for sure in town to skin a cat. Please let me know if you are going to talk book with a Spoiler tag or something!

Gooer
Apr 7th, 2014, 04:23 AM
My girlfriend was not happy with the episode last night. But she was expecting something big to happen. Said it was all filler. But I rather enjoyed it. Reintroduced us viewers to the cast and the story lines.

I'm very curious as to what Littlefinger's reception was like up at the Vale. I'm liking Arya and the Hounds future of destruction. And really excited to see who Oberlyn kills first. Tywin or Joffery. He's for sure in town to skin a cat. Please let me know if you are going to talk book with a Spoiler tag or something!

Heh, you're going to be one of those people that doesn't expect what will actually happen.... *huehuehue*.......

Merlin1274
Apr 7th, 2014, 05:42 AM
I normally read the books ahead of anything. But I like this series so much I do not want the future books to ruin it for me..

With the WD gone till Oct, I am thankful for GoT for my Sunday night entertainment.

Elisa
Apr 10th, 2014, 04:26 PM
I loved the first episode of this season. Of course they had to do a lot of setup and it was a bit Lannister heavy but some great moments and Oberyn is officially a BAMF. It's gonna be an awesome season.

Tony, it will be a looooooooong wait for Winds of Winter still when GRRM releases chapters, I gobble them up and we got two this month. He also is going to release a Princess and the Queen prequel short story in another collection and hopefully another Dunk and Egg novella set in the North. But the big kahuna will be the release of the World of Ice and Fire right around this Xmas. I can't wait.

tonyhind86
Apr 11th, 2014, 06:40 AM
I loved the first episode of this season. Of course they had to do a lot of setup and it was a bit Lannister heavy but some great moments and Oberyn is officially a BAMF. It's gonna be an awesome season.

Tony, it will be a looooooooong wait for Winds of Winter still when GRRM releases chapters, I gobble them up and we got two this month. He also is going to release a Princess and the Queen prequel short story in another collection and hopefully another Dunk and Egg novella set in the North. But the big kahuna will be the release of the World of Ice and Fire right around this Xmas. I can't wait.

If it comes out this year, I will be very happy indeed. Ive heard rumours about a 2016 release, by which time the TV show will have caught up to the books, if not passed them.

Gooer
Apr 11th, 2014, 07:11 AM
One thing I've wondered, will HBO stop and wait for the next books when they reach the end of A Dance with Dragons, or will they make up their own ending for the series?

tonyhind86
Apr 11th, 2014, 08:36 AM
GRRM has already told the producers the end of the story incase he dies before finishing the books

Merlin1274
Apr 11th, 2014, 08:59 AM
I have read a few series of Books where the Author has died before he finished them..
Roger Zelazany and Robert Jordan.. Shame I will never know if Shadow Jack was caught when he went off the cliff.. Roger may have finished it one day. Would have liked to seen more from the Amber Series.
Least Robert Jordan had someone there to finish the WoT..

Jannit
Apr 11th, 2014, 09:52 AM

What is this about GRRM releasing chapters?! Where does he release them to? I've never heard of this before and am feeling quite deprived now.

tonyhind86
Apr 11th, 2014, 10:34 AM
What is this about GRRM releasing chapters?! Where does he release them to? I've never heard of this before and am feeling quite deprived now.

Search them in google, he released a few on his blog, and they are seriously wetting the apetites of GoT fans around the world :D

Elisa
Apr 11th, 2014, 08:47 PM

There is a new Arya chapter on his not a blog. There is a new Tyrion chapter on the world of ice and fire app for iPhone and android. If you google or go to westeros.org forums you can find another Tyrion, 2 Arriane's, 2 Barristan's and a Victarion and a Theon. Google winds of winter chapters. I think the Barristan's is also on the Dance with Dragons paperback. GRRM reads them at conventions too.

Bullethead
Apr 14th, 2014, 04:08 AM
Since all I knows is the show I'm going to drop a seemingly off topic thread here following last nights episode. If you have not seen it please stop reading HERE.

:yay: Huzzah!!!! :yay:
So long Joffrey, you evil twisted insestial spawn.

The episode of course left me with questions, please discuss with me without spoiling as I again will state I am Unsullied and have not read. Everyone thinks Tyrion did it...Um did EVERYONE at the wedding see something I didn't? Wouldn't common sense say it was the freaking pie? O_o

Me thinks it was a joint effort assassination by Tywin and Old Lady Tyrell. Way to many hints to it, she yells at her son that her and Tywin are talking and to leave them, she approaches Sansa and offers her condolences about her brother. Mentions how horrible it is to see someone die at a wedding, and I'm not putting it past Tywin to have his grandson offed. He probably believes the rumors of Cersei and Jamie. Kill Joffrey and hope everyone forgets the rumors, save the family name. Time to step up Tomin.

The fallout:
Very curious as to (if my theory is correct) what happens with the Tyrell + Lannister super pact. I know Cersei is to wed Lorras but we'll see if that goes through now. WHERE THE EFF is little finger? He told Lady Tyrell she would be queen, hows he gonna react to the news of the Purple Wedding?
So much more but thats the most of whats running around up there in my cranium. Thanks for your time heh.

Merlin1274
Apr 15th, 2014, 05:52 AM
Little Finger was shipped off to Wed elsewhere.. It was not Tyrion. I too have not read the books but the dumbfounded look he had picking up the Goblet said he did not..

I believe it was the pie.. It started making him have dry mouth and the Wine Maybe sped along the poison.

tonyhind86
Apr 15th, 2014, 07:57 AM
Little Finger was shipped off to Wed elsewhere.. It was not Tyrion. I too have not read the books but the dumbfounded look he had picking up the Goblet said he did not..

I believe it was the pie.. It started making him have dry mouth and the Wine Maybe sped along the poison.

Littlefinger is on his way to the Eyrie to marry Lysa Arryn.

Bullethead
Apr 15th, 2014, 08:42 AM
I should have rephrased that, I knew where Littlefinger went, just wondering where he is in the show, if we're going to see him anymore or if that storyline is now done.

Gooer
Apr 15th, 2014, 09:36 AM
Since all I knows is the show I'm going to drop a seemingly off topic thread here following last nights episode. If you have not seen it please stop reading HERE.

:yay: Huzzah!!!! :yay:
So long Joffrey, you evil twisted insestial spawn.

The episode of course left me with questions, please discuss with me without spoiling as I again will state I am Unsullied and have not read. Everyone thinks Tyrion did it...Um did EVERYONE at the wedding see something I didn't? Wouldn't common sense say it was the freaking pie? O_o

Me thinks it was a joint effort assassination by Tywin and Old Lady Tyrell. Way to many hints to it, she yells at her son that her and Tywin are talking and to leave them, she approaches Sansa and offers her condolences about her brother. Mentions how horrible it is to see someone die at a wedding, and I'm not putting it past Tywin to have his grandson offed. He probably believes the rumors of Cersei and Jamie. Kill Joffrey and hope everyone forgets the rumors, save the family name. Time to step up Tomin.

The fallout:
Very curious as to (if my theory is correct) what happens with the Tyrell + Lannister super pact. I know Cersei is to wed Lorras but we'll see if that goes through now. WHERE THE EFF is little finger? He told Lady Tyrell she would be queen, hows he gonna react to the news of the Purple Wedding?
So much more but thats the most of whats running around up there in my cranium. Thanks for your time heh.

Won't say if you're right or wrong on who killed Joffery, but as for Littlefinger, his story still isn't done........

Elisa
Apr 15th, 2014, 11:11 AM
There are screen shots on the internet that tell you who dunnit. You can also watch the ending several times and possibly figure it out. :nik:

tonyhind86
Apr 15th, 2014, 12:26 PM
I'm still curious as to what happened to Benjen Stark. The books made a subtle suggestion, but nothing confirmed as of yet...

Gooer
Apr 15th, 2014, 01:18 PM
I'm still curious as to what happened to Benjen Stark. The books made a subtle suggestion, but nothing confirmed as of yet...

Think he's just been off'ed. But maybe good old GRRM will surprise us some how.....

tonyhind86
Apr 15th, 2014, 01:26 PM
Think he's just been off'ed. But maybe good old GRRM will surprise us some how.....

I'm thinking Coldhands...

Gooer
Apr 15th, 2014, 01:33 PM
I'm thinking Coldhands...

Ooh yea......but how would he know about the the greenseer, and wouldn't Bran recognise his voice?

P.S: not sure how you add spoiler titles to text....is it just [spoiler]?

tonyhind86
Apr 15th, 2014, 02:04 PM
Ooh yea......but how would he know about the the greenseer, and wouldn't Bran recognise his voice?

P.S: not sure how you add spoiler titles to text....is it just [spoiler]?

Not sure how to add the spoiler tag, I'm on the iphone app. Would Bran recognise his voice though, he was very young at the beginning of the story...

Elisa
Apr 15th, 2014, 03:54 PM

My guess is that Benjen will reappear. I don't think he's Coldhands. I think he might be stuck in the Lands of Always Winter where the White Walkers come from. :squint:

tonyhind86
Apr 15th, 2014, 04:31 PM
My guess is that Benjen will reappear. I don't think he's Coldhands. I think he might be stuck in the Lands of Always Winter where the White Walkers come from. :squint:

GRRM has confirmed that the Lands of Always Winter will be explored in the next book; perhaps we may yet see not only Benjen, but the Great Other (and hopefully Rh'llor aswell)

Gooer
Apr 15th, 2014, 04:40 PM
Not sure how to add the spoiler tag, I'm on the iphone app. Would Bran recognise his voice though, he was very young at the beginning of the story...

It's been two years since they last met. Surely you'd recognise the voice of an relative, even after that long?

Bullethead
Apr 16th, 2014, 05:48 AM
Fortunately I don't know what ya'll are talking about other then the name Benjen. I guess if you are about to drop a spoiler just maybe caps lock it and bold font it.

Can't wait for next sunday.

tonyhind86
Apr 16th, 2014, 01:23 PM
Fortunately I don't know what ya'll are talking about other then the name Benjen. I guess if you are about to drop a spoiler just maybe caps lock it and bold font it.

Can't wait for next sunday.

No worries, I'll refrain from posting spoilers, because there are too many exciting events coming up during this season - and it's gonna be the best one yet!

harry_potter
Sep 26th, 2020, 02:26 AM
Did you watch the last season?! Wasn't it disappointing?