PDA

View Full Version : Message Board Game: Assassins!

Joosbawx
Apr 13th, 2011, 02:58 PM
As per the brief chat conversation with nikvoodoo and Ra1th, I will post this suggestion here to gauge interest is starting up a message board game thread for the game detailed below. If you'd be interested in playing or have suggestions or comments, please don't hesitate to reply!

Game Overview

After an open enrollment period the list of players is secretly assigned their role by the person running the game...usually referred to as the narrator. The game consists of two opposing teams: "Normals" and "Assassins". The goal of each team is to eliminate the other team completely before their own ranks are decimated. The Normals attempt to eliminate the Assassins by voting against who they think is a possible assassin and then executing that player. The Assassins hide among the Normals in secret, acting as normal as they can and participating in the voting; however, at night they collectively select a victim to be assassinated.

The Day phase (voting phase) lasts for 48 real-time hours in order to give everyone time to make cast their votes, defend themselves and spread whatever theories they have about who the assassins are. The Night phase lasts for 24 real-time hours in order to give the Assassins time to confer on their selected target and send it privately to the narrator, who will then make their choice known publicly in the thread.

The day and night phases continue until either the Normals have eliminated all the Assassins by voting them to be executed, or the Assassins successfully eliminate all of the Normals. The standard ratio of Assassins to Normals is one (1) Assassin for every five (5) Normals, so the Normals have strength in numbers and the Assassins have the benefit of stealth.

Description of "Normal" Roles:

Normal: You are a normal. Your job is to stay alive, and ferret out the assassins.

Mason: Your job is to ferret out the assassins, and to protect your fellow Mason(s). There will always be a minimum of 2 Masons in a game. The masons are told each other’s identities at the beginning of the game.

Investigator: Each night phase, you may message the narrator and to investigate the role one other player. When you select a player, the answer given to you will be normal or assassin.

Guard: Each night this player may protect one (1) player s/he believes is a normal from the Assassins.

Description of "Assassin" Roles:

Assassin: Each night phase the assassins a Normal they want to kill, and send this in to the narrator via private message.

Assassin Leader: Each night phase, you may message the narrator and to investigate the role one other player. When you select a player, the answer given to you will be the specific role of the selected player...i.e. normal, guard, mason, etc.

One of the great things about this game is that the roles can be tailored to fit the forum on which it is being played. For instance, instead of "Normals" we could use Survivors and instead of "Assassins" we could use "Rats" or "Moles" or "Mallers".

If you'd be interested in participating just post a reply and lets see how soon we can get a game rolling...as long as the Admins still give me the go ahead. The best games are with at least a dozen players or more.

TCM Revolver
Apr 13th, 2011, 03:23 PM
I'm on board man. My suggestion is to start a group. So we can keep the game contained to that specific area.

Luna Guardian
Apr 13th, 2011, 03:25 PM
I've been in games like this before and they were always great fun. I'm in

Wicked Sid
Apr 13th, 2011, 04:04 PM
Love the Concept. I'm in. Hopefully a lot of people join in.

Joosbawx
Apr 13th, 2011, 04:24 PM
We could certainly start a group for this, no problem. My only thought counter to doing that would be that something like this can increase the traffic and regular visits to the site by those involved in the game, and they'd probably be more likely to browse through the forum and participate in other discussions and threads there if the game was in a forum thread instead of outside in a group.

however, if the admins/mods thinks it'd be better in the group section then I am more than happy to put it there.

Ra1th
Apr 13th, 2011, 04:39 PM
No i'm with joosbawx on this, hiding this gem away in the groups section won't help us with our traffic problem, I think it's time we brought the "groups" icon back to the main forum page, but it will have to be modified.

It shouldnt be all of the groups, just specific ones, like the assassin's game, and the rpg, and along with that we can add in the fan fiction stories that have been popping up, and stuff like AdrienHD's blog, the battlegrounds one.

We have all this interesting member made content on the forum, but the problem is it's all spread apart, i think our best course of action is to bring it all together in one place and make it easily accessible

TCM Revolver
Apr 13th, 2011, 04:45 PM
We could certainly start a group for this, no problem. My only thought counter to doing that would be that something like this can increase the traffic and regular visits to the site by those involved in the game, and they'd probably be more likely to browse through the forum and participate in other discussions and threads there if the game was in a forum thread instead of outside in a group.

however, if the admins/mods thinks it'd be better in the group section then I am more than happy to put it there.

Do you have an example of this game played on another forum we could look at?

yarri
Apr 13th, 2011, 04:57 PM
Will this be locked down or can anyone watch it???

Joosbawx
Apr 13th, 2011, 05:18 PM
Do you have an example of this game played on another forum we could look at?

Absolutely...right here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=188948). This particular forum has many of these games running at the same time with different "flavors" to them all. One may be Dr. Who themed, and another kind of a film noir theme, etc. I would imagine this one would be WND themed. Each game runs in a specific thread and doesn't spill out onto any of the other threads...but it does help increase traffic to the forum in general if people tend to enjoy it.

Will this be locked down or can anyone watch it???

In the other forums that I have participated and narrated games like this on the threads are all public so anyone can observe the game. Normally it is played in a normal thread just like you would post anything else on, but just in a specific place on the forum...a thread created for the game.

TCM Revolver
Apr 13th, 2011, 06:06 PM
so this is pretty much an RPG if I understand correctly??

Joosbawx
Apr 13th, 2011, 06:09 PM
It doesn't really have to be that way. That forum is for a webcomic based on RPGs, so it tends to be that way; however, the game doesn't have to be anything more than the votes about who people think is an assassin, etc. That forum tends to set the games up and people tend to makeup characters based on the "theme" of the game and roleplay; however, there are a lot of players that just staight-up play the game without all the role play, too.

Ra1th
Apr 15th, 2011, 12:16 AM
hey when you get this thing up and running hit me up, i want in on this

Joosbawx
Apr 15th, 2011, 03:00 AM
excellent...I will take that last as approval and begin a recruitment thread form the game in the Everything Else/games section...unless there is objection.

looks like at least four players so far. once we hit a dozen or some will run the first game.