PDA

View Full Version : Possible supply sources ...

kdalton
Apr 12th, 2011, 07:59 AM
Just thinking out loud here ...

Has our plucky band of survivors checked the freeways for delivery trucks? If you get up on the freeway, odds are in and area of that type there are probably dozens of eighteen wheelers loaded with food and other supplies that were stalled when the traffic stopped. The trucks are locked.

Nice to hear about the water truck. I am picturing maybe a water delivery truck with the big bottles? Got to be more than one of those around. Also, all the coca cola and pepsi trucks all carried bottled water as well.

VeritableHero
Apr 12th, 2011, 08:03 AM
Yeah. The mention of the water truck made me think of this, too. With all of the beverage delivery, vending machine suppliers, and distribution centers, it should be fairly easy to find some extra supplies if you send out a scout or two. Good thinking about Coke & Pepsi trucks. What about BEER trucks? Now we're talking!

nikvoodoo
Apr 12th, 2011, 09:47 AM
Yeah. The mention of the water truck made me think of this, too. With all of the beverage delivery, vending machine suppliers, and distribution centers, it should be fairly easy to find some extra supplies if you send out a scout or two. Good thinking about Coke & Pepsi trucks. What about BEER trucks? Now we're talking!

I'd imagine at this point most beer has gone skunky from baking in a hot truck for (at least) 3 months. Besides, I think the Tower is going to keep the drinking light as a consequence of the War.

I think in general, it seems like such a simple idea that it could have been overlooked (See: MRE) so something like this might come into play later on down the road. On the other hand, it could be one of those things that Kc thinks isn't necessary for us to hear and has been glossed over for that purpose. But that would be an untapped resource according to what we know in the script right now.

VeritableHero
Apr 12th, 2011, 10:36 AM
I'd imagine at this point most beer has gone skunky from baking in a hot truck for (at least) 3 months. Besides, I think the Tower is going to keep the drinking light as a consequence of the War. True, true.

Come to think of it, even Staples and other office supply stores will distribute food. We get snacks for our office (pretzels and the like) all of the time. Stuff like that could last for many, many months as long as it is properly sealed. Yet another vehicle they could spot. Even if they don't think about it in the story, I'm keeping this in mind for when Z-Day hits.

sickboy774
Apr 12th, 2011, 11:02 AM
I am surprised they have not tried to hit the Costco's, Smart & Final's, and Wal Mart's

nikvoodoo
Apr 12th, 2011, 11:44 AM
I am surprised they have not tried to hit the Costco's, Smart & Final's, and Wal Mart's

I'm sure they did on their first supply runs, but I'm also pretty certain that for trademark and copyright reasons you shouldn't mention stores like that by name. Generic is always safer. You never know which company has a bug up its butt and will sue for using their intellectual property without permission. Just find anyone that's used Hulk Hogan's image without his permission. Like this (http://tv.yahoo.com/blog/hulk-hogan-slams-cocoa-pebbles-maker-with-lawsuit--1276)

VeritableHero
Apr 12th, 2011, 12:38 PM
I'm sure they did on their first supply runs...(snip)
Agreed. Just like Greg (and guests) have repeatedly told Brit on We're Not Dead, those are the places most people would hit for supplies first. Additionally, the buildings aren't very secure so the zombies would have easily gained access to eat what food remained within a few weeks.

MrScott101
Apr 12th, 2011, 09:31 PM
might just be me but I'd hit the hard liquor! that doesn't really go bad and the stuff that sucks could be used for fire or weapons

Pikepaw
Apr 12th, 2011, 09:41 PM

They mention that all the stores have been raided by the Mallers, so I assume that includes the Costco's and Wal Mart's and such

Luna Guardian
Apr 13th, 2011, 12:33 AM
They mention that all the stores have been raided by the Mallers, so I assume that includes the Costco's and Wal Mart's and such

I may not know just how big those places are, but I'm making a wild guess that there's no way that less than a hundred prisoners could empty all the costcos and Wal Mart's etc in the vicinity. Heck, I doubt they could do it to our malls and supermarkets, which are a lot smaller

yarri
Apr 13th, 2011, 02:11 AM
Me I would go to all the small out of the way places Like a Mom and Pop corner mini market or gas stations. Smaller location less likely to have been raided by mallers. Fewer zombies to have to deal with..

Luna Guardian
Apr 13th, 2011, 03:08 AM
I'd start my raiding at a pharmacy and a gun shop. Food is surprisingly easier to come by than antibiotics, medicine and guns/ammo. Other useful stuff is salt (never can have enough in a situation like this), gas (both natural to use on grills etc. and for cars and stuff) and nails, screws and such.

yarri
Apr 13th, 2011, 03:24 AM
I'd start my raiding at a pharmacy and a gun shop. Food is surprisingly easier to come by than antibiotics, medicine and guns/ammo. Other useful stuff is salt (never can have enough in a situation like this), gas (both natural to use on grills etc. and for cars and stuff) and nails, screws and such.

Luna if the sh@t hits the fan and zombies rise up. If your in my neck of the woods I would follow you! I have been saying since Saul got hurt.. WHY aren't you guys going to the drug stores rather then the hospitals!!! why??? ( I would give you rep again but the machine won't let me good post!)

Luna Guardian
Apr 13th, 2011, 04:18 AM
Thanks yarri!

As a general rule of thumb, you should mark the two-three nearest pharmacys, foodstores, gun shops and gas stations on a map (a paper one. And laminate it. Your high tech GPS thingamajigs will fail and if you don't protect your maps they'll be ruined by water or wear'n'tear. Trust me on this). You might want to list a hunting good store or two as well. Unless you live in a very remote place or in a very defencive spot (Tower etc.), you'll have to get on the move. Either use as much money as you have to buy this stuff or raid it. It's not like money or law will have any meaning in a day or two.

yarri
Apr 13th, 2011, 04:24 AM
Thanks yarri!

As a general rule of thumb, you should mark the two-three nearest pharmacy, food stores, gun shops and gas stations. You might want to list a hunting good store or two as well. Unless you live in a very remote place or in a very defensive spot (Tower etc.), you'll have to get on the move. Either use as much money as you have to buy this stuff or raid it. It's not like money or law will have any meaning in a day or two.

Apparently we think alike.

VeritableHero
Apr 13th, 2011, 06:00 AM
As a general rule of thumb, you should mark the two-three nearest pharmacys, foodstores, gun shops and gas stations on a map (a paper one. And laminate it. Your high tech GPS thingamajigs will fail and if you don't protect your maps they'll be ruined by water or wear'n'tear. Trust me on this). You might want to list a hunting good store or two as well. Unless you live in a very remote place or in a very defencive spot (Tower etc.), you'll have to get on the move. Either use as much money as you have to buy this stuff or raid it. It's not like money or law will have any meaning in a day or two.You'll make a very smart zombie. Good plan. +rep

Luna Guardian
Apr 13th, 2011, 06:24 AM
You'll make a very smart zombie. Good plan. +rep

The whole point of my plan is not to become any kind of zombie!

But thanks :)

wooly
Apr 13th, 2011, 06:57 AM
I may not know just how big those places are, but I'm making a wild guess that there's no way that less than a hundred prisoners could empty all the costcos and Wal Mart's etc in the vicinity. Heck, I doubt they could do it to our malls and supermarkets, which are a lot smaller

I don't think it was just the Mallers. Not everyone died immediately. I'm sure there was a panicked crush on all the supply sites as the crisis expanded. (I imagine the panic at the grocery store when a hurricane or blizzard is coming multiplied by about a billion lol)

There has also been mention several times of other survivors, mostly in Season 1. There was the other tower, recently dead humans at the water pumping station, and a live girl being dragged by a zombie outside the Arena. I suspect there were/are quite a number of small holdouts in various basements and whatever around the city, each of them slowly chipping away at the remaining supplies.

Luna Guardian
Apr 13th, 2011, 07:16 AM
I don't think it was just the Mallers. Not everyone died immediately. I'm sure there was a panicked crush on all the supply sites as the crisis expanded. (I imagine the panic at the grocery store when a hurricane or blizzard is coming multiplied by about a billion lol)

Not really. Think about it, you know a hurricane is coming in advance (usually, maybe. We don't really have those here and blizzarda are so commonplace nobody cares) so everyone and their aunt has time to panic and prepare while the streets are reasonably safe. In the case of a zombie outbreak, people are dying left and right and the streets are deadly. There aren't that many people left before long and those who are are terrified.

Continuing with your hurricane example, would you go out DURING the hurricane to get supplies? Even if there were other survivors, I'm thinking they number maybe in the thousands in the vicinity of the Tower (vicinity being used very broadly here). Even these people wouldn't be able to empty everything from a super mall like you have in the States.

Now, the zombies, rats and other rodents (yup, zombies are rodents now) have chewed through whatever food there was and what they didn't get rotted away or otherwise went bad a long time ago. Still, I'm thinking there ought to be enough vacoom packed and canned stuff to last a long, long time. A person can survive on one can of tuna a day (it's stretching it, but trust me, even in combat situations in winter like you wouldn't believe it's possible). How many cans are there in an average Wal Mart? This isn't a rhethorical question, I really wanna know

wooly
Apr 13th, 2011, 07:40 AM
Actually, not that many. Just from memory I'm thinking maybe 100-150 on the shelf, dunno how many in the stock room. I believe they rely on a variation of "just-in-time" inventory. Basically you keep enough on the shelf to (hopefully) not run out and get resupplied frequently without tying up too much capital in items stored in the back. Same with the grocery stores. Both get daily deliveries, not weekly. When the trucks stop coming...

It's little enough that I have literally seen the shelves empty in a day just before a major storm or disaster.

I get what you're saying, but I'm thinking you're underestimating the power of human stupidity. People in a panic do wacky things - such as emptying grocery stores when they get scared by the weather forecast. Few people (at least in the temperate areas) plan that far ahead and lay in any substantial supplies. They would HAVE to go out or be hungry.

VeritableHero
Apr 13th, 2011, 07:44 AM
This isn't a rhethorical question, I really wanna knowYou sound like Burt. He used that line at one time.

I agree with you. There should be enough food around, but the problem would be finding it. "Smart Zombies" could have an idea of where to find large stockpiles of canned food; for that reason, it's possible that those larger supply places (and even smaller ones) have been hit in the 3.5 months since z-day. I think it would be easy to find food for a handful of survivors but to be be able to find enough to sustain 25+ could be more difficult.

In the real world, it's likely that enough food could be found. For the sake of drama, though, I would find some way to write out the majority of supplies. Otherwise, that would make for a very boring story.

Even if there were other survivors, I'm thinking they number maybe in the thousands in the vicinity of the Tower (vicinity being used very broadly here).

As far as other survivors are concerned, there are probably a few more than we expect and/or have encountered. But my theory on the number would be "not many" and nowhere near thousands. Maybe for a few days (or weeks even). But, the zombies are super sniffers and could get the majority of people based on that fact alone. People stink when we can't take showers and we have to get rid of human waste. Also, people make mistakes. That would have killed off a whole bunch more by now.

mem
Apr 13th, 2011, 10:37 AM
Supposedly you can survive long term at a Costco. Can't remember where i saw that but it'd be worth a shot. :p

aprilhw3
Apr 13th, 2011, 11:11 AM
As I said before, nursing homes are a good place to load up on supplies. I'm sure geriatric zombies would be slower and easier to kill off ;) There aren't normally doctors in the nursing homes. But there is a week's supply of enough food for 100+ residents, a month's supply of bottled water, tons of both over the counter and prescription meds, including pain meds and antibiotics. Flashlights, toilet paper, bathing and hygiene supplies, loads of linens, even generators. And if you were near a nursing home with a lock-down unit you could even possibly have a little short-term security. There are plenty of beds. The windows are non-breakable, and it can be locked securely.

Luna Guardian
Apr 13th, 2011, 11:29 AM
That's a very good idea April! Unfortunately, there aren't any nursing homes nearby to my knowledge, but I'll add them to my list of raidables if I run into any while I'm on the move. Another good side about those is that most people won't think about them when thinking of supplies. Heck, I sure didn't

nikvoodoo
Apr 13th, 2011, 11:33 AM
As I said before, nursing homes are a good place to load up on supplies. I'm sure geriatric zombies would be slower and easier to kill off ;) There aren't normally doctors in the nursing homes. But there is a week's supply of enough food for 100+ residents, a month's supply of bottled water, tons of both over the counter and prescription meds, including pain meds and antibiotics. Flashlights, toilet paper, bathing and hygiene supplies, loads of linens, even generators. And if you were near a nursing home with a lock-down unit you could even possibly have a little short-term security. There are plenty of beds. The windows are non-breakable, and it can be locked securely.

Great idea in principle, but I'd like to contend on a couple of your points.

We've seen zombies take extreme punishment and keep going. This is something to consider about the lethality of old formerly geriatric zombies. They might not be able to make it away from their initial attackers, but once they turn it may not matter that they originally had a broken hip.

And while there is currently no evidence to this fact, mental illness seems to produce smart zombies just like the hospitals and libraries that Skittles mentioned. So it could be that anyone with Alzheimer's might become a smart zombie. Again, no confirmation.

I really like the idea of raiding it for supplies especially for medical supplies. That would be a resource not too many survivors would think of immediately.

aprilhw3
Apr 13th, 2011, 11:40 AM
LOL...good point. I work as a nurse in a nursing home. I'm not making fun of my lovely residents, but I'm sitting here picturing some of them as zombies. YIKES! At least most of them are toothless ;)

VeritableHero
Apr 13th, 2011, 11:43 AM
YIKES! At least most of them are toothless ;)You just made me laugh. Thanks! :)

nikvoodoo
Apr 13th, 2011, 11:44 AM
YIKES! At least most of them are toothless ;)

You just made me laugh. Thanks! :)

I second that Hero! That was pretty damn funny :)
Toothless geriatric zombies would provide you a tactical advantage...if you had to punch one in the face you wouldn't have to worry about their teeth cutting you, but you would not get the satisfaction of knocking their teeth down their throat ;)

Bulldog711
Apr 13th, 2011, 11:48 AM
New to the forums....been listening from the start.....has anyone discussed a bank as a central location for a "Colony".......a large city safe would provide a temporary safehouse in case of a zombie blitz, just as saul, michael, and angel found shelter in the first chapter (The safe at the base....) I still dont understand why farms/greenhouses havent been mentioned as I am pretty sure zombies wont mess with plants so there is no need to keep them safe, just tended to from time to time? Most farms have their own water well and looking at the map a trip east could find a small farm

kdalton
Apr 13th, 2011, 12:22 PM
Most stores operate on a "just in time" delivery system. At most the average Wal-mart, etc. has a couple of days of stock on hand. As the last one is sold off the shelf the replacement is coming in the back door. Therefore, it would not take that much too empty one.

The best time to prepare for a hurricane is plenty of time beforehand. About a month before the season starts people I know potentially in harm's way grab bottled water, food, and prep their evac kits. That way, they just throw everything in the trunk or back seat and go. I know one person who keeps a tank's worth of extra gas stored and stabilized in an outbuilding. They have a hitch-mounted carrier and strap the cans to it once they are packed to take the gas. That way when SHF time comes and everyone is crowding into gas stations along the evac route they just stop at about a quarter tank and gas up.

If you never let your tank go below half full you are more prepared than 90 percent of Joe Public:

http://www.pbase.com/rickhodges/hurricane_rita

Luna Guardian
Apr 13th, 2011, 12:42 PM
Most stores operate on a "just in time" delivery system. At most the average Wal-mart, etc. has a couple of days of stock on hand. As the last one is sold off the shelf the replacement is coming in the back door. Therefore, it would not take that much too empty one.

The best time to prepare for a hurricane is plenty of time beforehand. About a month before the season starts people I know potentially in harm's way grab bottled water, food, and prep their evac kits. That way, they just throw everything in the trunk or back seat and go. I know one person who keeps a tank's worth of extra gas stored and stabilized in an outbuilding. They have a hitch-mounted carrier and strap the cans to it once they are packed to take the gas. That way when SHF time comes and everyone is crowding into gas stations along the evac route they just stop at about a quarter tank and gas up.

If you never let your tank go below half full you are more prepared than 90 percent of Joe Public:

http://www.pbase.com/rickhodges/hurricane_rita

Fair enough, but there is a hurricane season that people can start preparing for. Unless zombies are a seasonal weather phenomenon, people can't prepare for them (except for the few of us who are well versed in the threat of zombies). There won't be such a huge rush to these supermarkets, due to people either a) fleeing for their lives from the ravenous hordes or b) being the rampaging hordes.

And if someone has an extra tank of gas in an outhouse, that doesn't really limit the supply of canned food (or even gas) in case of an emergency, because these people won't rush to get the resources they already have. No need to risk your neck to get something you already have.

What you're saying makes perfect sense if the disaster can be foreseen and people have time to panic and rush to stockpile everything in sight. If the dead were to go after the living, there wouldn't be time for that. You heard how quickly the entire LA area was devoured, you make the decision wether the people managed to run for supplies or not.

cycogod
Apr 13th, 2011, 08:10 PM
when do people start to consider "Humans" as a food source? make some jerkey and your eatin good in the neighborhood.

cycogod
Apr 13th, 2011, 08:11 PM
maybe some Taco's?

Eviebae
Apr 13th, 2011, 08:50 PM
Something I've been wondering about is why they don't forage for food. In LA, there is food growing everywhere--fruit trees, nut trees, wild plants like blackberries.

Zombiehead
Apr 13th, 2011, 09:47 PM
Something I've been wondering about is why they don't forage for food. In LA, there is food growing everywhere--fruit trees, nut trees, wild plants like blackberries. That's a myth. Trees are extinct in LA. It's totally void of all edible greenery. If you want to find a real orange (or any farmland) you have to travel east or north.

Dr Janus
Apr 13th, 2011, 11:06 PM
Maybe visiting a warehousing district you could find storage areas filled with food and whatnot... those compounds are usually fairly hardy and generally have security cams, generators and all that good stuff etc.. you could also set up a few hydro farms, grow veggies like sprouts and other fast growing foods fairly easily and maybe even farm some fish, or even rats... Check out some local Chinese restaurants... they usually have a whole heap of critters in tanks swimming around for the choosing... me personally I'd board a navy ship or a cruiser.. I'm thinking that in most major cities with ports, there is usually a cruise liner or cargo ship of some sorts parked... awaiting... just pull up the ladder after you board and bobs your uncle.. relatively safe... got height, a moat, food, power (maybe even nuclear), dvd entertainment and a whole array of medical supplies and all that good stuff and maybe even weapons (battle ships definitely..a few 50 cals and rockets if nec) .. and most importantly a swimming pool...if your lucky, one with a slippery slide.. oh yeah and a karaoke bar. btw how high can those jumping z's jump ? ... id also consider setting up an electrified cable so anything thinking of climbing will get bbq'd i.e the anchor.

cycogod
Apr 14th, 2011, 08:55 AM
and you would be able to operate all of this? how do you load a rocket or activate it to shoot. dem critters sound tasty, yepum de does..

COsurvivor
Apr 14th, 2011, 11:33 AM
LA is set up in district for the industries...

If they need clothes, there is the Clothing District.
For food, there are several "Farmer Markets" and no it is not just fresh foods, there are frozen food in those places too.
For cars, umm any dealership and why not go to the gas station and pump out the tanks?

I am curious why they did not think of the Griffith Observatory, it is sounded by nothing but tress on the top of a hill. It has a great overlook of the LA basin and with only a couple roads that lead to it, they can control any hostile human intent... It also has big strong doors and great areas on the roof for armed patrols.

And why not think of stripping off Solar Panels and using them for power?

Bulldog711
Apr 14th, 2011, 11:59 AM
Datu has already done more than even he thought he could do technically...rigging up solar panels might be out of his ability....I agree, being able to have the higher ground is a major key to any battle. THe only problem I see with the observatory is that they would need to fortify multiple areas....the tower is great because its tall, but "skinny" not a lot of circumference to worry about. The Army base is really the best bet for supplies and fortification.......

Eviebae
Apr 16th, 2011, 10:27 AM
I was watching a documentary about the Knights Templar and their castle stronghold which was pretty advanced in its design. I spent the whole time trying to apply their design to retrofitting an area after a zombie apocalypse...

They used passive and active defenses, concentric circles and tunnels, and several highly equipped fall back positions.

Eviebae
Apr 16th, 2011, 10:52 AM
That's a myth. Trees are extinct in LA. It's totally void of all edible greenery. If you want to find a real orange (or any farmland) you have to travel east or north.

I used to live in CA and I have to say there are plenty of nuts....

Seriously though, we had a friend with a giant avocado tree in his backyard, my MIN had figs, lemons and asparagus. Wild anise grows everywhere (gag, I HATE the way it smells--like licorice).

COsurvivor
Apr 17th, 2011, 03:10 PM
Nuts in LA? they are on every corner...

GeneTwo
Nov 16th, 2011, 12:01 AM
I think you have to take into account the rolls everyone plays especially the ones in charge. Angel is a green Lieutenant, he orders people to do things, doesn't know much else. Saul is a...

nikvoodoo
Nov 16th, 2011, 12:43 AM
One thing bugged me about the garden on the roof. Why not convert some apartments or even a whole floor into a garden. Seriously they had power and water in the beginning but only grew food on the roof. Go to the hardware store get some lights pots and dirt and start an apartment garden.

The power needed to run lamps like that would be astronomical. That's why making a.....ahem...."garden".....in your own home usually requires people to by pass the usual power grid because the power drawn to grow marijuana is a tip off to authorities. And those that don't by pass consume an estimated 1% of America's power......What you're suggesting would be larger than most of the average...."gardens"....that people grow for uh medicinal purposes.

Also, the threat of fire from the heat would be one hell of a risk.

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Nov 16th, 2011, 05:11 AM
------------------------------------------------------------------------ <br />
<br />
- - Green and Lieutenant is redundant as hell! LOL <br />
<br />
- The roof is the better option because there was more space, air...

GeneTwo
Nov 16th, 2011, 08:37 PM
------------------------------------------------------------------------
- The roof is the better option because there was more space, air and a chance for rain. Another thing to consider would be the insects and rodents this would bring into the building. Infestations just waiting to get into the already dwindling food supply.

You make it sound like that's a bad thing. Insects and rodents are protein. Which gives me an idea: the should totally raid a pet shop and grab some of those cute bunnies and start breeding them for food. :)

Anhysbys
Nov 16th, 2011, 08:49 PM
That seasonal thing gave me a morbid thought that if maybe a zombie apocalypse happens it would just be a game by some upper power. Say the zombies "spawn" a.k.a. are picked randomly from the group at the beginning of zombie season. These zombies are picked in major areas of the world (e.g. capital cities or just generalized locations like centers of states). They then spread for a year or two then after all is dead and gone it just "reverts" back to just before the zombie apocalypse with no memories of what just happened. As if we are just a little computer game or toybox for some omnipotent little kid with an angry disposition. The Sims 4: Zombie Apocalypse.

Edit: How'd this get from Possible Supply Sources to seasonal occurences back to supply sources, and then why the tower didn't oversee some of these supply sources and now back to seasonal occurences.

GeneTwo
Nov 17th, 2011, 04:09 PM
------------------------------------------------------------------------
- I think the last thing to take into consideration is: How dangerous would it be to try to gather stuff (besides, the Mallers had basically cleaned out the entire area already)

I dont know, I think that getting supplies or raiding is way less dangerous than following the zombies home.

TASM
Jan 29th, 2012, 10:05 AM
There's this Goya (a huge maker and distributor of canned foods) processing plant in Miami that I used to pass by on my way to work. The place is freaking humongous! Upon a Zombie outbreak, this would be one of the first places I'd hit up for the most important resource... food. Think canned beans, vegetables, etc. Walmarts and big department stores are the most obvious places. But processing plants like these are not the first thing to come to peoples' minds.

Next stop? SportsAuthority. Check their page out: http://www.sportsauthority.com/category/index.jsp?categoryId=3085049&cp=3077577&clickid=topnav_Outdoor%20Gear_5
Think of the body protection and alternative (to guns) weaponry you could find there! I'd think of some sort of cleats for good traction (anyone who's played footbal, baseball or soccer knows what a HUGE difference cleats make when running).

Now... what would I hit up Walmarts and Target for? Vehicles! Think about it... car dealerships have amazing selections, but matching the keys to the cars becomes an issue unless you worked there and know where to look. But at a place like Walmart or Target? Go through the unturned, eaten up dead bodies and search their freakin pockets! Then all you do is walk out to the lot and hit the panic buttons.

TASM cheking out...