PDA

View Full Version : WND Revisits Chapter One!

Britt
Apr 10th, 2011, 12:01 PM
l shouldn't need to remind you that next Saturday is the We're Alive event at Meltdown Comics in LA, but I am anyway! I'll be attending, as will Greg and others from the forums.

To celebrate and pimp this awesome event, Nikvoodoo, Greg and I will be revisiting the very first chapter of We're Alive and dedicate an episode of WND to it. We'll be talking about our first impressions, things we missed, our favorite parts, etc.

I'd love to hear your thoughts about chapter one! If you have anything you want brought up or discussed, please leave a comment below, or send an email to our infamous email addy of WereNotDeadPodcast@gmail.com.

We'll be recording tomorrow evening. :)

Luna Guardian
Apr 10th, 2011, 12:16 PM
First of all, I'd like to say this is an awesome idea. To those of us with the awareness of a brick (and half the intelligence), it's great to have someone with keen senses of spotting the obvious point out glaring points that we missed.

Second, I loved the first Chapter. It had me hooked from the very beginning and I'm glad it did. Having recently relistened to the first season, I can remember why. I could immediately feel a connection with the three characters. Each of them had traits I recognised in myself and their actions were pretty much the same as my own "save myself in case of a zombie apocalypse" plans. We received a solid first impression about the characters that has shaped our opinions of them to this day (perhaps most strongly about Angel, who despite having led a number of succesful missions is still considered by some as incapable of command).

Love the podcast, keep on the air-waves

Pikepaw
Apr 10th, 2011, 12:29 PM
Oh Chapter One, how many times I listened to it as I worked to recreate the entire thing just for fun. There are a few things that I did differently, because there is just one of me.

Definitely need to talk about the "You swerved to hit him!" moment in Episode 2, one my favourite parts of the series. Good to hear NikVoodoo on the show, since he always has many interesting forum posts

nikvoodoo
Apr 10th, 2011, 12:43 PM
Uh oh....now there's pressure to not suck....

mem
Apr 10th, 2011, 12:50 PM
talk about the fact that nik is possibly the rat and has his hands in so many things. I even think global warming is because of him at this point. jk Looking forward to hearing you on the episode nik !

nikvoodoo
Apr 10th, 2011, 12:54 PM
talk about the fact that nik is possibly the rat and has his hands in so many things. I even think global warming is because of him at this point. jk Looking forward to hearing you on the episode nik !

I would like to state for the record, I have nothing to do with Global Climate change, but I will admit that I am responsible for the asteroid that is going to come hurdling towards Earth in December 2012. I've got a Voodoo Globe with a needle sticking right in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean and a off shore bank account. Donate to the "Pull out the Pin" fund, and I'll spare the world.

Ra1th
Apr 10th, 2011, 12:57 PM
l shouldn't need to remind you that next Friday is the We're Alive event at Meltdown Comics in LA

I think you mean Saturday the 16th is a Saturday

Britt
Apr 10th, 2011, 01:18 PM
i think you mean saturday the 16th is a saturday

way to make me look stupid.

nikvoodoo
Apr 10th, 2011, 01:19 PM

If you want to make it up, you can insult Angel and then send him to Crowbar. ;)

I mean....uh...nothin'. who said...wait what?

Ra1th
Apr 10th, 2011, 01:19 PM

ahh sorry, I just panicked for a second I was like its on a friday??!?!?? nooooooooo I cant make it on friday haha

BruceBonsai
Apr 10th, 2011, 01:20 PM

What happened to your "Just because I dumb doesn't mean I'm blonde" signature? or something like that.

TKid
Apr 10th, 2011, 01:40 PM
is it me or does the girl Michael is talking to at the college sound a lot like Pegs? they did make the link in the tower that they went to the same college

nikvoodoo
Apr 10th, 2011, 01:45 PM
is it me or does the girl Michael is talking to at the college sound a lot like Pegs? they did make the link in the tower that they went to the same college

Pegs went there when Michael was deployed. She may sound the same, but I think it's coincidental. Much like Tardust and Gatekeeper have similar vocal qualities and performances I think the same thing happened with that girl and Pegs.

Ra1th
Apr 10th, 2011, 02:16 PM
If you want to make it up, you can insult Angel and then send him to Crowbar. ;)

I mean....uh...nothin'. who said...wait what?

hmph if your name isnt nikvoodoo or crowbar, I'll still eat you alive, I haven't fallen THAT far

Luna Guardian
Apr 10th, 2011, 11:02 PM
What happened to your "Just because I dumb doesn't mean I'm blonde" signature? or something like that.

Guess she finally faced the truth :p

Britt
Apr 11th, 2011, 12:25 PM
Guess she finally faced the truth :p

What? I have absolutely no idea what the heck you people are talking about.

(Ignorance is bliss)

Adventureless_Hero
Apr 11th, 2011, 02:11 PM
I knew I was going to be a loyal follower of this podcast when I heard the very first explosion. Chills
ran down my spine and the hair on the back of my neck stood on end because I knew...it had begun.

I think in the first hours of the outbreak, if I was fortunate enough to learn about it before a horde was upon me, I think I'd like to hole up in my apartment. Gather supplies to travel to my parents house, collect all the weapons my father has in his safe (nothing like Burt's supply, but close to Burts Gummer's supply from Tremors) then head to the coast to try and get by living on an oil rig. Of course all that is pretty iffy.

Anyway, regarding chapter one, one thing I found interesting was how in 1-2 Riley says that people were turning when they got blood on them. Later we find out that as long as it doesn't touch broken skin that you are okay. I'm wondering if the people in Riley's restaurant that were turning from the contact with blood were getting it in thier eyes or mouth. Also, that was a pretty stupid thing for Saul to keep that bloody knife. He could have in advertantly infect himself or someone else. Which may bring to question whether or not Tink is immune to the virus? He's had quite a bit of zombie blood contact over the chapters.

In 1-1 the description of the zombies being covered in scars does throw me off a bit. I can understand why thier eyes would be glazed over and they would have a number of bruises, but scarring results from the body healing. With the outbreak occuring so quickly I don't think any "fresh" zombies would have any scars. So this is a good mystery.

Finally I did want to point out that the television broadcast Michael watches on campus states that reports of "riots" have come in for the Los Angeles and downtown San Diego area. So far, in this chapter, nothing has been mentioned that it is a international or even national occurance.

Ra1th
Apr 11th, 2011, 02:21 PM
Finally I did want to point out that the television broadcast Michael watches on campus states that reports of "riots" have come in for the Los Angeles and downtown San Diego area. So far, in this chapter, nothing has been mentioned that it is a international or even national occurance.

the tivo recording that lizzy finds later says differently, its states that there have been riots in major cities throughout the world

Adventureless_Hero
Apr 11th, 2011, 06:16 PM
the tivo recording that lizzy finds later says differently, its states that there have been riots in major cities throughout the world

Sweet! I wasn't quite sure if it did as I only listened to Chapter 1 again today. It's funny, I've heard the entire thing at least 4 times through now and I still forget so much. See what habitually binge drinking on the weekends does to a once great brain? Well Ra1th, at least you gave me hope that the theory in my signature still holds water.

MrScott101
Apr 11th, 2011, 09:21 PM
It's pretty amazing to go back through and re listen to them all again. Especially when trying to take notes on key things more so for topic debate on the forums. I found myself pausing and backtracking to make sure I was hearing things right. Or taking notes on things I could bring up in the right threads. Just listening again after all the different topic debates makes it even more interesting all over again!

This should be pretty good since nik is a wealth of guru-WA-knowledge-debator!

Ra1th
Apr 11th, 2011, 09:27 PM
So I hear nik totally shat on Angel's life so that's great...

nikvoodoo
Apr 11th, 2011, 09:35 PM
It's not as bad as I made it sound when I spoke to you earlier. Just wait till friday :)

yarri
Apr 12th, 2011, 05:20 AM

Angel is awesome. His life is good. He is growing up nicely into a excellent future leader..We love Angel. Flaws and all.!
Oh.. I agree with you. He and Riley had to hook up.

Adventureless_Hero
Apr 12th, 2011, 08:53 AM
Crap. Why didn't I listen to the first Chapter for a 5th time! This morning I noticed how Riley caught on to Michael being torn up about something when they shot Cindy in 1-3. I didn't think this was that big a deal and played it off as though Michael was just being frustrated with having to take command the way he was. I thought maybe he was like the hero thrust into his position despite the fact that he would rather not have to take up that responisibility. But now I'm thinking that Michael needed a moment for different reasons. Maybe Riley hit the nail on the head when she said, "Something back there hurt you as much as Angel is hurting...". I'm thinking this could be a tiny reference to the mysterious Randy/Randi character whose name Michael muttered while under anesthesia for the resetting of his broken bones. Now I'm led further to believe that Randy/Randi is someone from Michaels 3 tours over seas rather than someone he briefly encountered while escaping from the Water Pumping Station.

nikvoodoo
Apr 12th, 2011, 09:39 AM
Crap. Why didn't I listen to the first Chapter for a 5th time! This morning I noticed how Riley caught on to Michael being torn up about something when they shot Cindy in 1-3. I didn't think this was that big a deal and played it off as though Michael was just being frustrated with having to take command the way he was. I thought maybe he was like the hero thrust into his position despite the fact that he would rather not have to take up that responisibility. But now I'm thinking that Michael needed a moment for different reasons. Maybe Riley hit the nail on the head when she said, "Something back there hurt you as much as Angel is hurting...". I'm thinking this could be a tiny reference to the mysterious Randy/Randi character whose name Michael muttered while under anesthesia for the resetting of his broken bones. Now I'm led further to believe that Randy/Randi is someone from Michaels 3 tours over seas rather than someone he briefly encountered while escaping from the Water Pumping Station.

We actually didn't cover this in the episode. It's completely speculation at this point what was breaking him up because as we all know if its about something emotional, you can't take what Michael says at face value because he's lying about it. Pegs is the only way we're going to see into Michael's true raw emotional state (that isn't anger or rage...he shows those just fine).

However, I think its a pretty good assumption that Michael's mysterious Randy/i might be something he's thinking about once Angel forces him to by breaking down. It's the only thing we know about his past that he might be dwelling on and if that's the case, Randy/i isn't someone he met in the Water Station.

mem
Apr 15th, 2011, 06:02 AM
I would like to state for the record, I have nothing to do with Global Climate change, but I will admit that I am responsible for the asteroid that is going to come hurdling towards Earth in December 2012. I've got a Voodoo Globe with a needle sticking right in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean and a off shore bank account. Donate to the "Pull out the Pin" fund, and I'll spare the world.

lol you made mention of this at the end of the episode. made me laugh ! great job on the podcast.

j0be
Apr 15th, 2011, 07:19 AM
We actually didn't cover this in the episode. It's completely speculation at this point what was breaking him up because as we all know if its about something emotional, you can't take what Michael says at face value because he's lying about it. Pegs is the only way we're going to see into Michael's true raw emotional state (that isn't anger or rage...he shows those just fine).

However, I think its a pretty good assumption that Michael's mysterious Randy/i might be something he's thinking about once Angel forces him to by breaking down. It's the only thing we know about his past that he might be dwelling on and if that's the case, Randy/i isn't someone he met in the Water Station.

Since we have no idea who Randy is, we can't assume that it isn't someone he met while off the grid in the water station.
<devilsadvocate>However, maybe it was the same person Bill was talking about... (Sandy)</devilsadvocate> :D

nikvoodoo
Apr 15th, 2011, 08:44 AM
lol you made mention of this at the end of the episode. made me laugh ! great job on the podcast.

I actually made full mention of the theory in there, but it got edited out. ;)