PDA

View Full Version : ChatBox Input Bar

Ra1th
Apr 5th, 2011, 06:29 PM
Hey guys, the administrators/mods were discussing whether or not to change the location of the input bar for the ChatBox.

So we thought we'd let you guys decide

j0be
Apr 5th, 2011, 06:38 PM
I like being able to read from top to bottom oldest to newest.

yarri
Apr 5th, 2011, 07:05 PM
I don't like the scroll as it is now any time I change pages and go back I have to manually pull the bar down to see any new discussion.

Ra1th
Apr 5th, 2011, 07:17 PM
I prefer the second option because its a lot more like facebook chat, and I use that a lot, so I'm more used to it that way

itsallgoodie
Apr 5th, 2011, 09:00 PM
I would have thought I would like it on the bottom better but honestly i like it on the top. though i dont think its terrible on the bottom. someone is going to fix the height of the bar though right?

Teethingbiscuit
Apr 5th, 2011, 09:04 PM
Bar in the middle with weird comments scrolling up and mine scrolling down. :P
Bah, I am easy and will use the chatbox however it is decided. I just like the chatbox is there. Thanks tekkies
Teeth

ObamaCat
Apr 5th, 2011, 09:05 PM
I thought my chatbox was glitchin' out when I first saw the change, but after a while, I'm kinda digging it. I think I'll be fine the vote goes either way, but if I had to pick a preference, I still like it on the top better.

nikvoodoo
Apr 6th, 2011, 01:29 AM
Here's a major drawback to putting the most recent post at the bottom: i can't scroll to the bottom of the window on my iPad. 'Cause that's a problem everyone will have, you know...

Personally, I like the recent post on top (aside from the iPad thing) pretty much for the same reasons yarri brought up. It just makes more sense to me.

j0be
Apr 6th, 2011, 06:14 AM
So we are currently split on the poll, and I'm @yarri's concern about the scrollbar would be something we would fix, and I'm not quite sure what you mean about the iPad @voodoo

cPT.cAPSLOCK
Apr 6th, 2011, 06:25 AM
New on top is definitely more functional. Like that, you can directly see the latest shouts... it just makes more sense.
(In fact, the other way around - like it is now - doesn't make sense at all.)

j0be
Apr 6th, 2011, 06:54 AM
I updated the JS to start the box scrolled to the bottom. Test this, see if you like it. And then let me know.

MrScott101
Apr 6th, 2011, 08:11 AM
I like it much better with the scrollbar set right!!

cPT.cAPSLOCK
Apr 6th, 2011, 10:18 AM
It's better, but my opinion remains unchanged.
When the order is reverse-chronological, it puts the focus on whats NEW. That's the whole point of a shoutbox.

j0be
Apr 6th, 2011, 10:25 AM
I definitely understand your point cPT.cAPSLOCK. I know I think it's better the way you don't like, but that's my opinion. I wish this could be a per user setting, but unless I do some major re-engineering, that's just not feasible. The reason I like this is readability as well as it feels more like an IRC channel / FB chat.

cPT.cAPSLOCK
Apr 6th, 2011, 11:41 AM
Ah well. There are more important things in life to bitch about.
It works fine, so I'll rest my case ;)

j0be
Apr 6th, 2011, 11:54 AM
What's funny to me is that the poll is almost a dead split. It's ever-so-slightly one way at the moment, but it's a negligible difference. There are a couple outspoken members for each viewpoint. It's easy for me to toggle back, I just don't think we've really come to a consensus.
I almost think we should have had an option for "Don't care".