PDA

View Full Version : How Reputation works Q/A

MrScott101
Apr 4th, 2011, 09:24 AM
Since I am unfamiliar as to how this works I'm sure other members may have questions too, I figure I would start a thread where we can ask questions and the admins could answer them.

I understand that we can award rep to users. Can anyone award rep to anyone?

When you award rep does it take from yours to award someone else?

In the Experience section under rankings I had more rep a week ago than I do now, is this a weekly average or is it showing current awarding of rep?

What is some of the ways a person can lose rep?

TCM Revolver
Apr 4th, 2011, 09:28 AM
I understand that we can award rep to users. Can anyone award rep to anyone?
* yes, you can award points to anyone that you deem worthy, it has to come from a post though. There isn't a generic way to give points

When you award rep does it take from yours to award someone else?
* No, you have an endless amount of points to give away and they do not subtract from your total.

In the Experience section under rankings I had more rep a week ago than I do now, is this a weekly average or is it showing current awarding of rep?
* You may have lost rep points, look under your "settings" and the who gave you what and why will be displayed there. If that's not they case we may need a bit more info.

What is some of the ways a person can lose rep?
* Yes, Points can be taken away from other users that feel you did something wrong. Also by infractions given by mods or admins.

MrScott101
Apr 4th, 2011, 09:34 AM
under the reputation column in the rankings tab, last week I thought it said 224, this week it shows 157, but under earn points it shows 314. I am a bit unclear why I have thee different numbers or at the very least why the two tabs show different numbers.

Thanks for clarification.

TCM Revolver
Apr 4th, 2011, 09:40 AM
Let me do some research on this and I will get back to you.

TCM Revolver
Apr 4th, 2011, 04:53 PM
under the reputation column in the rankings tab, last week I thought it said 224, this week it shows 157, but under earn points it shows 314. I am a bit unclear why I have thee different numbers or at the very least why the two tabs show different numbers.

Thanks for clarification.

Alright man, here we go... :p

Last week you didn't see 224, I think you saw 254 and that would have been under you experience for rep.
The way the experience works is it takes your rep * 2. (127*2=254) (that is for last week)
On April 1st, both nikvoodoo and KC gave you a rep bump. When an admin or KC gives you points you get not just 1 but 15.
So that put you at 157 (157*2=314)
*phew
Hope this helps.

MrScott101
Apr 4th, 2011, 06:39 PM
lol I was just about to reply with a DUH I just noticed the x2 hence why the other number was bigger.

Thanks, although from time to time I'll have a duh moment or two.

Either way I think this info will help other members as to how/what rep is and the inner workings. So despite my brain leaving my head for half a day this will be helpful.

nikvoodoo
Apr 5th, 2011, 01:20 AM
Hey speaking of this rep system, is there any way to get the rep system to show up in the mobile template? I think it'd be nice to have it here.

cPT.cAPSLOCK
Apr 5th, 2011, 05:31 AM
Yea, it's possible.
I'm mostly structuring the wiki for now though, as I personally think that's a higher priority for now.

However, what you basically need to do is copy the code for the reputation button from the desktop template, to the (correct place in the) mobile style.

One thing to keep in mind is that the CSS might not match (not sure if it will). In that case, you'll have to change it to text instead of a button, or add the required CSS to the mobile template.
I have no experience with vB templates, so someone else could do this much easier than I.

wooly
Apr 22nd, 2011, 05:04 PM
Where can the reputation comments (from the giver) be viewed? I know I've seen them before somewhere but can't find them again.

TCM Revolver
Apr 22nd, 2011, 05:13 PM
Where can the reputation comments (from the giver) be viewed? I know I've seen them before somewhere but can't find them again.

Top right hand corner of the screen, under the options. Should be on the first screen it takes you to. Let me know if you have nay more trouble.

wooly
Apr 22nd, 2011, 05:18 PM
Thanks! That's what I was looking for.

Solanine
Aug 22nd, 2011, 09:40 AM
Can anyone think of a way that users could be encouraged to use the rep system, it may be my limited view point but the only people I see with more than one bars are moderators and admins. Does giving people rep give you xp? Could this happened.

nikvoodoo
Aug 22nd, 2011, 09:54 AM
The best way to insure that other users utilize the Reputation System is to use it yourself. People tend to return positive rep in kind to those who have given it.

And it's not just admins and mods with more than one bar. Admins and Mods tend to be the most visible members of a forum so you'll catch us more often than others, but other users have more than one bar. Some of them have be relatively inactive since the end of the season though.

Hellbringer
Aug 22nd, 2011, 06:05 PM
The best way to insure that other users utilize the Reputation System is to use it yourself. People tend to return positive rep in kind to those who have given it.

And it's not just admins and mods with more than one bar. Admins and Mods tend to be the most visible members of a forum so you'll catch us more often than others, but other users have more than one bar. Some of them have be relatively inactive since the end of the season though.

I give out rep points, but I cannot see who gives it to me. I can only guess who does it; does everyone else get to see who gave out rep to them? I do go to the settings tab and it shows which posts earned me rep points, as well as what was commented with the points, but it doesn't show who said it.

Creem_Filling
Aug 22nd, 2011, 06:15 PM
I give out rep points, but I cannot see who gives it to me. I can only guess who does it; does everyone else get to see who gave out rep to them? I do go to the settings tab and it shows which posts earned me rep points, as well as what was commented with the points, but it doesn't show who said it.

As far as I can tell, only admins can see who gave points. Because in Nik's little pictures showing how it worked, there was a name by the rep points. And I don't have those names there. So I concluded that it is an admin special thing. I guess it's to protect privacy or something.

nikvoodootest
Aug 22nd, 2011, 06:19 PM
test

cupcakezombie
Aug 22nd, 2011, 06:20 PM
As far as I can tell, only admins can see who gave points. Because in Nik's little pictures showing how it worked, there was a name by the rep points. And I don't have those names there. So I concluded that it is an admin special thing. I guess it's to protect privacy or something.

I used to be able to see names (before I was a mod), but I hadn't looked for a while. Not sure if that is a desired change or not. One of the big guns may have to check it out.

nikvoodoo
Aug 22nd, 2011, 06:22 PM
used to be different. I don't know when that changed. I'll look into it.

cupcakezombie
Aug 22nd, 2011, 06:23 PM
used to be different. I don't know when that changed. I'll look into it.
Thanks big gun!

nikvoodoo
Aug 22nd, 2011, 08:16 PM
*sigh* I know it's possible but I can't find the option for it. I'm on another VB forum and I can see all my rep comments along with who gave it to me and I'm just a lowly registered user there....

Creem_Filling
Aug 22nd, 2011, 08:33 PM
*sigh* I know it's possible but I can't find the option for it. I'm on another VB forum and I can see all my rep comments along with who gave it to me and I'm just a lowly registered user there....

What did you just call me!?! Lowly... *mumbles to himself*
But seriously, I've never been able to see it. And I'm the biggest user of the rep system, so it's always been something I checked up on.

nikvoodoo
Aug 22nd, 2011, 08:41 PM
What did you just call me!?! Lowly... *mumbles to himself*
But seriously, I've never been able to see it. And I'm the biggest user of the rep system, so it's always been something I checked up on.

Yes. I called you and you alone lowly. Now you sit there, and you just let that sink in. ;)

nikvoodoo
Aug 22nd, 2011, 11:21 PM
Ok, so now every user on this forum should be able to see the identity of those who left them rep. If you can't let me know.

Solanine
Aug 22nd, 2011, 11:45 PM
K thanks.

GD_Elite
Aug 23rd, 2011, 03:52 AM
Ok, so now every user on this forum should be able to see the identity of those who left them rep. If you can't let me know.

Awesome.

Just wondering, is it possible to see more than just the last 5 people that I have got rep from?

nikvoodoo
Aug 23rd, 2011, 09:10 AM
Awesome.

Just wondering, is it possible to see more than just the last 5 people that I have got rep from?

Sure it's possible.....but what do I get in return? ;)

The last 15 user reps given are now visible.

Hellbringer
Aug 23rd, 2011, 06:57 PM
Yep, I see names and up to 15 rep comments. thanks much!

Solanine
Sep 15th, 2011, 10:34 AM
What formula is used to work out how many bars you have? Is it just an amount per bar or amount/time?

j0be
Sep 15th, 2011, 10:48 AM
I forget how the bars go, but I know they are based on you're rep level. Here is what the text is based on:

User has been turned (-100)
User is a Maller... (-50)
User is starting to side with the Mallers... (-10)
User just moved into the tower (0)
User has killed 1 zombie (10)
User has killed 2 zombies (50)
User has killed 3 zombies (150)
User has killed 5 zombies (250)
User has killed 8 zombies (350)
User has killed 14 zombies (450)
User has killed 25 zombies (550)
User has killed 40 zombies (650)
User has killed a runner (750)
User has killed a jumper (850)
User has killed a behemoth (950)
User Is One Bad Mutha... Shut your Mouth! (1050)

Solanine
Sep 15th, 2011, 11:27 AM
So how does that convert to Bars next to your name?

nikvoodoo
Sep 15th, 2011, 11:42 AM
So how does that convert to Bars next to your name?

I'm pretty sure it's every 100 points you get gives you a new bar. Everyone starts with 1 bar and 10 points. So when you get to 100 points, you get your second bar. 200 points gets your third and so on.

Your reputation power is more of a calculation of amount of time on the forum, your post total, reputation received etc etc. That doesn't affect your own personal bars, but it does influence how many points you give/take away from a user when you give them rep.

Solanine
Jan 21st, 2012, 09:25 AM
Is there anyway to see how much rep you give per post approved?

nikvoodoo
Jan 21st, 2012, 12:21 PM
Is there anyway to see how much rep you give per post approved?

Look below your achievements in your posts. It shows you there what your current rep power is. Right now you have a Rep Power of 2.

Solanine
Jan 21st, 2012, 12:56 PM
Ah, I never noticed. Now I feel slow. Thanks for pointing out the obvious to me again Nick!

nikvoodoo
Jan 21st, 2012, 04:22 PM
Ah, I never noticed. Now I feel slow. Thanks for pointing out the obvious to me again Nick!

Don't feel so bad. It's not as obvious as it might seem. The appearance of the "Rep Power" is actually new with the forum upgrade Kc just installed. So up until about two/three weeks ago, you wouldn't be able to tell.

Solanine
Jan 22nd, 2012, 04:23 AM
Ok, I feel a bit better now. Thanks.