PDA

View Full Version : Comic Books / Graphic Novels

cycogod
Mar 29th, 2011, 04:28 PM
what are your fav comics or graphic novels. what series do you like the most?

my all time fav is The Infinity Gauntlet
old todd mcfarlane spiderman's were great, jim lee x-men etc..

seems like the new comics are very computer aided , have lost some of the skill the old books had.

Hellbringer
Mar 29th, 2011, 04:46 PM
what are your fav comics or graphic novels. what series do you like the most?

my all time fav is The Infinity Gauntlet
old todd mcfarlane spiderman's were great, jim lee x-men etc..

seems like the new comics are very computer aided , have lost some of the skill the old books had.

I agree the newer stuff looks a little off. It's like when I watch cartoons with my kids; the new stuff looks so "fake" by relying on computers so much to do the animations and effects.

I think my old stand-bys for comics always works: Punisher, Captain America, Avengers, X-Men. The IDW's take on the Transformers is what the I would have loved to have seen as a kid. And that is one series that CAN get away with computer assistance because it looks right. Wolverine done by computer graphics for a comic doesn't.

Arthur Adams' old works were my favorite to look at. When Ron Lim drew in the 90s, I liked his stuff, especially the Silver Surfer. I got to meet Ben Dunn of Ninja High School fame, and I used to try to imitate his art style because it was clear, crisp, and a western take on anime.

I don't pick up many comics anymore though. When I do visit the local comic shop, I do look for those titles. Oh, and Marvel Zombies was good... at least the first two series. The third felt like it was going to the well one too many times, and I haven't even looked at series four or five.

Hellbringer
May 27th, 2011, 09:51 AM
I am actually a fan of the Batman and the Punisher's vigilante stuff, heroes with the only real life powers: besides an obsessive motivation, they have brains, trainning & guts, plus A LOT of firepower in the case of Punisher and A LOT of money in the case of Mr Wayne (that's almost a real life Superpower!), besides that, they are pretty well established characters and studios tend to have some "respect" for that kind of characters (except for that Punisher supernatural crap).

The Punisher as an angel with weird guns was a little out there.

Rock Daddy
May 27th, 2011, 10:19 AM
My 3 favorites were X-Men, Spiderman, & Spawn. I'm especially a fan of Greg Capullo's art on Spawn.

Osiris
May 27th, 2011, 04:25 PM
Coooooooooooooooooooooomiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiics!!!!!!!!!

I really got into Zombies Vs Robots Vs Amazons, that was a great read and fantastic art. Ashley Wood is amazing. As far as old school goes... Batman: The Killing Joke was awesome, I really enjoyed Gotham By Gaslight, Death In The Family, Year One but as far as general awesome goes.... Arkham Asylum was incredible.
The last good GN I managed to get into (aside from Girls) would be Suburban Glamour. That book was fucking fantastic. Jamie Mckelvie is one of my favourite artists.
I got into Bomb Queen for a while because it reminded me of Marshall Law, but lost interest after a few of the trades.

cycogod
May 27th, 2011, 05:26 PM
anyone keepin track of The Walking Dead comics, they seem to be losing steam, story's getting old and formula driven...

cycogod
May 28th, 2011, 10:17 AM
current issue #85

Hellbringer
Jun 19th, 2011, 03:37 PM
You know what was very good at the beginning and then got strange over the years? Grimm Fairy Tales. They were excellent when it was just about fairy tales, but when they started doing a backstory on the helper and that became the main focus, it lost me. We bought all the graphic novel volumes up to 9; I got 8 and 9 at the same time, but I should have stopped at 7. 8 and 9 were so not anything that the childhood stories were about.

Waldo Butters
Jun 23rd, 2011, 12:24 PM
I like a lot of Vertigo's stuff: Fables, Y the Last Man, The Sandman, American Vampire, Greek Street, DMZ. I also read the Firefly/Serenity GNs and I have the complete run of Scott Pilgrim.

Osiris
Jun 26th, 2011, 05:18 PM
I have the complete run of Scott Pilgrim.

This makes me hate you in ways you cannot imagine.

smalls kenobi
Jun 26th, 2011, 05:24 PM
Back in Middle School i read the YOUNGBLOOD and Spawn comics, then i just stopped reading comics all together. but just recently I've been reading The Blackest Night Series, which is pretty damn EPIC so far.

Ra1th
Jun 26th, 2011, 06:43 PM
Batman: Year One. That is all.

Osiris
Jun 26th, 2011, 06:52 PM

Year Two was a good story as well.

Drew227598
Jun 26th, 2011, 07:08 PM
current issue #85

Your up to date and you think it's losing steam? What about what just happened with Carl?

Hellbringer
Jun 26th, 2011, 08:23 PM

I dare say that X-Men's "Days of Future Past" is the best storyline I've read. However, so many times has Marvel gone to the well with for after-effects of that storyline that it loses its plot, pace, great overall story, and significance that younger people just blow it off these days.

Waldo Butters
Jun 29th, 2011, 09:48 AM
This makes me hate you in ways you cannot imagine.

And why is that?

cycogod
Jun 29th, 2011, 06:51 PM
Your up to date and you think it's losing steam? What about what just happened with Carl?

just seems like a pattern. they feel safe and happy. then an attack and someone loses a body part. maybe a little to harsh but there better to read when you have a bunch to read all at once. on the back burner now.

ComicBookMax
Apr 24th, 2012, 05:09 PM
Mine would have to be Fables, Invincible, Lock & Key, Batman, Hellboy, American Vampire, and some others but those are the best. Love all of the independent stuff.

Waggener001
Jul 18th, 2022, 04:34 AM
Comic books, graphic novels and manga are a big part of my life. I was first drawn to comics as a kid and never really looked back. Must you follow here https://www.australianwritings.com/buy-essay/ and get more new ways to buy university essays. There's something special about being able to read a story in its original form, which you can't get so easily nowadays. Graphic novels have really caught on over the past decade or so, with both adults and kids going crazy over them.