PDA

View Full Version : Chatroom Noise

ObamaCat
Mar 28th, 2011, 11:51 PM
I was thinking that the chatroom/messagething should have some kind off noise whenever someone posts in it. Something like the "bading" sound you get when someone starts to talk to you on Facebook chat. I think it would be great since I often find myself watching YouTube videos while I wait for peoples' replies and I often forget to check back. A noise would let me know someone has posted and I wouldn't have to check back every couple minutes. And there could be a mute button for users who don't want to be bothered by the noise. Anyone else think this is a good idea?

mascaria
Mar 28th, 2011, 11:53 PM
I hate noises in chats and disable the sound of any and all chat programs I use.
BUT! I understand that other people like them and if they can be incorporated and easily disabled I don't see why we shouldn't.

Zombiehead
Mar 29th, 2011, 12:01 AM
Mondays would be murder. I'd prefer it if the chatbox were on every page.

mascaria
Mar 29th, 2011, 12:11 AM
When I'm foruming I keep the Chatbox open in on full screen in one tab and then browse the forum on another tab. Otherwise, yeah it'd have to be on every page.

ObamaCat
Mar 29th, 2011, 12:22 AM
The reason I want the noise is if I'm on a different site entirely and I forget to check the chatbox.

timberwoof
Mar 29th, 2011, 05:43 AM
How do you make it full screen. I hate looking at that little chat area.

TCM Revolver
Mar 29th, 2011, 05:59 AM
How do you make it full screen. I hate looking at that little chat area.

http://zombiepodcast.com/forum/misc.php?do=cchatbox

j0be
Mar 29th, 2011, 06:23 AM
I'll look at modifying the JS. However, one thing to note, I don't really think the chatbox on all pages would be a good idea, namely b/c it would cause a lot more load on the server, without a great return.

Zombiehead
Mar 29th, 2011, 02:41 PM
I'll look at modifying the JS. However, one thing to note, I don't really think the chatbox on all pages would be a good idea, namely b/c it would cause a lot more load on the server, without a great return.
Oh I know. Just wishful thinking.

SleepyGlenn
Mar 29th, 2011, 02:49 PM
When I'm foruming I keep the Chatbox open in on full screen in one tab and then browse the forum on another tab. Otherwise, yeah it'd have to be on every page.

Yeah that's what I do. :-) It takes a little while to load so I'm not sure I'd like it on every page... especially if it's "Ba-ding!" ing at me.

MrScott101
Mar 29th, 2011, 06:29 PM
Also look into a feature for the user to disable the noise or ding or what have you, zombie scream??

ObamaCat
Mar 29th, 2011, 08:45 PM
Maybe a button right below the chatbox to enable or disable audio?

itsallgoodie
Apr 1st, 2011, 08:11 AM
ya i mean honestly im pretty happy with the way it is now, i hate noises as well and if there is one incorporated then it should be very subtle like the facebook "ding" was -- isnt anymore. but ya. i think having it on all pages would overload the server and get annoying.

MrScott101
Apr 1st, 2011, 10:35 AM
honestly myself I'm fine with it the way it is I'm just suggesting that if there ends up being a ding noise I'd like the option to mute it.

j0be
Apr 1st, 2011, 02:13 PM
This is now in testing phase. We'll let you know how it pans out! (All suggestions we considered while creating)

ObamaCat
Apr 1st, 2011, 04:32 PM
This is now in testing phase. We'll let you know how it pans out! (All suggestions we considered while creating)

w00t. Thanks j0be :)

j0be
Apr 1st, 2011, 08:37 PM
There are now sounds in the main chat room. If you want to mute it, the button is to the right of the message box.

If you want a different sound, icon, or otherwise, just let me know.

ObamaCat
Apr 1st, 2011, 09:57 PM
Sounds great so far! Thanks again!