PDA

View Full Version : Ask Him Yourself!

Pages : [1] 2 3

TCM Revolver
Mar 27th, 2011, 09:47 PM
I know I'm not the only one that has questions for KC. He agreed that we can post them here and he will do his best to answer them for us.
Please, no questions that may be considered "too personal" or inappropriate (i.e. financing etc).
Let me start it off....

When you record, do you follow the script as far as order you record, or do you do it in segments and piece it together later??

Do you have the entire series written?? If not, how far ahead of the released series are you?

What are your plans after the WA saga is complete?? Are you looking to do another series?

***Post your questions here and KC will try to answer them live at Meltdown Comics on April 16th. After that we can post here for KC.

fraggot
Mar 27th, 2011, 09:50 PM
Is this the first audio drama you have done or do you have some other work floating around out there?
I've noticed from things that you're a big fan of LOST, is it something that inspires your writing?
Do you have any plans or hopes to bring We're Alive to another form of media?
Have you ever been in an episode other then just for zombie growls or other sound effects?

Kc
Mar 28th, 2011, 08:50 AM
I know I'm not the only one that has questions for KC. He agreed that we can post them here and he will do his best to answer them for us.
Please, no questions that may be considered "too personal" or inappropriate (i.e. financing etc).
Let me start it off....

When you record, do you follow the script as far as order you record, or do you do it in segments and piece it together later??
Do you have the entire series written?? If not, how far ahead of the released series are you?
What are your plans after the WA saga is complete?? Are you looking to do another series?

A: I try to go in order as best as possible, even if we have to keep actors there a little longer. Since we don't do rehearsals, it gives a better feel for the characters to discover the events as they unfold and leads to better performances when they're in order. BUT, there are occasions where we bounce around A LOT.

A: We have the big details of the series planned out, but as for the individual Chapters being written, I usually stay about 2 Chapters ahead. Chapter 20 is going out now, and I'm drafting 22 at the moment.

A: REST! Lots and lots of rest. I have a bunch of ideas floating around in my head, a possible other series, but it's too soon to tell.

Kc
Mar 28th, 2011, 09:02 AM
Is this the first audio drama you have done or do you have some other work floating around out there?
I've noticed from things that you're a big fan of LOST, is it something that inspires your writing?
Have you ever been in an episode other then just for zombie growls or other sound effects?

A: Yes, this is the only one I've written. I did perform in one a LONG time ago, when I was 15 or 16 called Full Court Press from Tsunami radio. I have other works out there for film like feature documentaries, etc...

A: I WAS a big fan of LOST, until they took the series and shredded it into inconceivable pieces of self-propelling loophole disasters. It was a fun ride, but they drove off a cliff at the end and cheapened the entire ride for me. In many ways it inspires me in what NOT to do. There are better ways to compel people to watch or listen, without resorting to fragments of story and plot that are left unanswered and used only to keep people interested. A lot of that has to do with multiple writers and authors... it leads to multiple intentions that don't always coincide.

A: Yes, of course, but with the caveat that it has to be done right. Now if some studio comes around and wants to offer me 15 million for the story if they can have it and just have me walk away... that would be hard to turn down, but I would always want to be attached to it.

A: I was the original announcer, way back before we had Michael Swan. (So glad he's here!), I was on the TV in Chapter 2, and I was the teacher in Chapter 1. A few other times I'm hidden as well, but I can't remember off the top of my head where. I think in the Maller's attack in Chapter 12.

Yoyo
Mar 28th, 2011, 09:06 AM
Do you happen to take into consideration when making We're Alive what people say on the forum? For clarification, my exampe is reading what fans say in discussions in the theory section and then incorporate interesting tidbits within the podcast itself?

If so, can you cite some examples that may have occured so far?

Carl R-tistik Springer
Mar 28th, 2011, 09:09 AM
Was your intention, always to make We're Alive a Audio Drama?
How did you get in touch with the Cover Artist Ben Hosac?
What Chapter was your Favourite to write or listen to?

fraggot
Mar 28th, 2011, 09:15 AM
When you were first coming up with We're Alive, what was your first thought that launched? Such as, were you wanting to do a zombie story or something else entirely?
If you were trapped in a zombie apocalypse, what's the one food you'd miss never being able to eat again?
Do you enjoy to listen to We're Alive in your spare time like you're just another fan?

Kc
Mar 28th, 2011, 09:19 AM
Do you happen to take into consideration when making We're Alive what people say on the forum? For clarification, my exampe is reading what fans say in discussions in the theory section and then incorporate interesting tidbits within the podcast itself?

If so, can you cite some examples that may have occured so far?

There's been once or twice that someone didn't understand something, so I clarified it more... can't think of for-instances off the top of my head, but there's been one or two.

Kc
Mar 28th, 2011, 09:23 AM
What Chapter was your Favourite to write or listen to?

Yes, it is written for the intent of audio drama. We have to write dialogue and action a certain way for audio dramas so that we TELL rather than show. If this were to be adapted, a lot could be taken out of the dialogue.

He and I went to high school together and had both media arts and animation together. We touched base a while back through facebook, and the rest is history.

What Chapter was your Favorite to write or listen to?
Chapter 10 by far. I wish I had more time to put into the writing. Since I edit audio every week it makes it hard to spend time on just one facet.

Kc
Mar 28th, 2011, 09:24 AM
UNTIL the Live Show at Meltdown, I'm not going to answer any more questions... I just realized that if we answer them all here, I won't have any to respond to at the Live event!
SO, if you want you questions answered then, post them here and I can respond then :)

riskbreaker23
Mar 28th, 2011, 11:11 AM
A: I was the original announcer, way back before we had Michael Swan. (So glad he's here!), I was on the TV in Chapter 2, and I was the teacher in Chapter 1. A few other times I'm hidden as well, but I can't remember off the top of my head where. I think in the Maller's attack in Chapter 12.

I KNEW you were the teacher! Funny... I knew that from watching one youtube video where you talked, I thought the teacher sounded like you so I wondered.

What kind of research have you done to keep the story fairly realistic? I notice in the recent chapters with Saul's Mom you have some very detailed dialogue about medical stuff. Did you have medical experience in the military? I've thought about this since chapter 13 with the fire truck (since I'm studying to be a fire fighter). You do a pretty good job of keeping a balance between realism and making it exciting. But I think Lizzie and Pegs would have a much harder time handling a fire hose going full blast lol

Have any other zombie media inspired you in We're Alive? E,g Resident Evil, other zombie flicks... etc...

I can wait until after meltdown, obviously :D

Yoyo
Mar 28th, 2011, 11:18 AM
Gosh, I wished I lived in LA to hear the Q&A.

Here's 2 more questions:

Will the Questions answered at the Q&A be reposted here on the forum? Better yet, recorded to show online?

Did the Walking Dead Influnce you not to use the Prison as a place of residence for survivors? I mean a good portion of The Walking Dead did take place there and I was thinking that it convinced you not to retread the same ground it did.

Kc
Mar 28th, 2011, 11:34 AM
Will the Questions answered at the Q&A be reposted here on the forum? Better yet, recorded to show online?

We're working on it!

riskbreaker23
Mar 28th, 2011, 12:53 PM
Did the Walking Dead Influnce you not to use the Prison as a place of residence for survivors? I mean a good portion of The Walking Dead did take place there and I was thinking that it convinced you not to retread the same ground it did.

I guess KC has said that he hasn't watched or read the walking dead. I'm sure he can answer this himself, but I guess he's said he'll watch/read the walking dead when he's done with We're Alive.

j0be
Mar 28th, 2011, 01:33 PM
There's been once or twice that someone didn't understand something, so I clarified it more... can't think of for-instances off the top of my head, but there's been one or two.

Well, I know two semi-different types of clarification you've posted, although I don't have links handy.

One was you (basically) stated that the zombie Michael sees through the smoke/steam/fog is the same one as on top of the diner.
Another was an obvious correction to me assuming Tardust was the Gatekeeper (by voice)

mem
Mar 30th, 2011, 12:56 PM
*no hurry on this one* I have read a few discussions about taking this beyond an audio drama to another medium like a motion picture. I think this would be excellent as a graphic novel series as well. : )

Yoyo
Mar 30th, 2011, 04:45 PM
Well, I know two semi-different types of clarification you've posted, although I don't have links handy.

One was you (basically) stated that the zombie Michael sees through the smoke/steam/fog is the same one as on top of the diner.
Another was an obvious correction to me assuming Tardust was the Gatekeeper (by voice)

I see but I meant more within the confines of the audio drama. I probably should have rephrase it to ask if he has ever incorporated any fan service into audiodrama coming from the forum discussion feedback.

MrScott101
Mar 30th, 2011, 07:02 PM
Did you have formal instruction with working on the Audio for WA, ie class on using ProTools?
What programs do you use for the Audio?
What do you think if the growing fanbase and community and especially the growing popularity of the forum?
Do you get ideas from the Forum's Theories area for future writing? (this may have been asked already but I wanted to make sure to have a specific question for it)

Zombiehead
Mar 30th, 2011, 09:45 PM
1. When you're drafting the script, do you ever rewrite anything based on the feedback you get from the forums? (ie add a clue, take away a clue, alter dialogue, etc)
2. How strongly does fan feedback affect the production of WA?

Kc
Mar 31st, 2011, 08:13 AM
That will become more clear through the next episode I'm thinking. Tardust only had a few lines in the last episode.

Kc
Mar 31st, 2011, 08:17 AM
*no hurry on this one* I have read a few discussions about taking this beyond an audio drama to another medium like a motion picture. I think this would be excellent as a graphic novel series as well. : )
We hope to one day, but when it comes to the story, I want control or at least oversight. Some people might not like that.

Kc
Mar 31st, 2011, 08:19 AM
I see but I meant more within the confines of the audio drama. I probably should have rephrase it to ask if he has ever incorporated any fan service into audiodrama coming from the forum discussion feedback.
Fan service? um... not sure what that means exactly, but the fans have become part of the show and help in a lot of ways. Britt and Greg were fans and now they help out tremendously, Stephen helps with the donations, and everyone who's an admin here helps with the forum. It's wonderful to have the help!

Pete
Mar 31st, 2011, 08:21 AM
How Many Seasons Of WA Are You Planning On Producing?

yarri
Mar 31st, 2011, 08:25 AM
If you all keep asking him stuff there won't be any questions for meltdown :D

Kc
Mar 31st, 2011, 08:26 AM
Did you have formal instruction with working on the Audio for WA, ie class on using ProTools?
What programs do you use for the Audio?
What do you think if the growing fanbase and community and especially the growing popularity of the forum?
Do you get ideas from the Forum's Theories area for future writing? (this may have been asked already but I wanted to make sure to have a specific question for it)
1. Do I have formal training? Yes... it's a conglomeration of things. I have two broadcast engineering certifications and my BFA from college. In my engineering I was taught the core technical understandings of audio, mics, soundwaves, transmissions, etc... At school, I had an audio techniques course for one semester that helped get me started understanding Pro Tools. The rest has been from learning hands on. Just recently I took some extra Pro Tools Training and hope to be a certified operator in the next month or so.
2. Programs? Pro Tools we use for everything. The music stuff is different, but I don't compose anything, so I wouldn't know too much about what they use.
3. I love it! But we can always grow bigger! MOAR@!@
4. There are some things said that might have some influence here or there. It's hard to say what exactly, but I think one or two things. There is ONE thing for certain that came from a fan a long time ago that I've been saving up. More of a line of dialogue than anything.

Kc
Mar 31st, 2011, 08:29 AM
1. When you're drafting the script, do you ever rewrite anything based on the feedback you get from the forums? (ie add a clue, take away a clue, alter dialogue, etc)
2. How strongly does fan feedback affect the production of WA?
1. Yes. I can honestly say I have. Mostly things that people didn't get the first time around or how to make something clearer. For instance when introducing Tardust, I made the mistake of NOT having his name said in the scene. That led to all sorts of confusion, and I was like... oopS!
2. I wear my emotions on my sleeve, so sometimes good and bad, the feedback effects little things. And then other time I let it roll off my back because fans have no idea what's coming next.

Kc
Mar 31st, 2011, 08:30 AM
How Many Seasons Of WA Are You Planning On Producing?

If you all keep asking him stuff there won't be any questions for meltdown :D
I think there will be plenty, and new ones too. And some people might ask these questions the night of anyway.

mem
Mar 31st, 2011, 08:50 AM
We hope to one day, but when it comes to the story, I want control or at least oversight. Some people might not like that.

It's your baby and you want to see it grow. Nothing wrong with that. Thanks for replying.

Eviebae
Apr 5th, 2011, 02:38 PM
Could you answer questions gathered from the forum at the live performance, time permitting?

Kc
Apr 7th, 2011, 10:50 AM
Could you answer questions gathered from the forum at the live performance, time permitting?
Yeah, we'll have live interaction via the chatbox too, so ask in there too

Rock Daddy
Apr 7th, 2011, 01:04 PM
Hey Kc, I don't want to ask too many questions before the event, but one thing I wondered was - Do you ever see elements of yourself in any of these characters you've written? Or do you ever base any of the character's actions on your own views/opinions?

Kc
Apr 7th, 2011, 04:34 PM
Hey Kc, I don't want to ask too many questions before the event, but one thing I wondered was - Do you ever see elements of yourself in any of these characters you've written? Or do you ever base any of the character's actions on your own views/opinions?
Oh, big time...

Adventureless_Hero
Apr 15th, 2011, 11:15 AM
I have a question for KC for the live event or whenever:

I realize that with all you have written it must be hard to keep every detail in mind, especially since you may not be able to recall what ideas you went with and which you left out. So I was curious to know if you ever go back and listen to the podcast to get inspiration or listen to a detail you wrote and then use that to run with a newly formed plan?

Craneses
Apr 16th, 2011, 09:15 PM
KC, what are the sizes of the posters on the were alive store?

Hollomandious
Apr 16th, 2011, 09:36 PM
Who keeps tripping over the wires controlling the stream for the Q&A?

Paul Russell
Apr 17th, 2011, 03:29 AM
How many chapters of We Are Alive are there in total?

COsurvivor
Apr 17th, 2011, 03:06 PM
How many chapters of We Are Alive are there in total?

Is there only going to be 3 seasons?

Wicked Sid
Apr 17th, 2011, 04:03 PM
Is there only going to be 3 seasons?

There will be four seasons.

j0be
Apr 17th, 2011, 04:04 PM
There will be four seasons.

Which means we're only about halfway through now. :D

Scratch2k
Apr 17th, 2011, 10:31 PM
Hey KC, I just purchased two box sets, any chance you or some cast members could sign them before sending them off? (double posted from the distribution thread)

Ra1th
Apr 17th, 2011, 11:35 PM
question is, will Michael be in charge the whole time for the next two seasons? <br />
<br />
(IT WAS RHETORICAL! no wars pleaaase!)

itsallgoodie
Apr 18th, 2011, 12:20 AM
you asked for it. michael may or may not be in charge but it sure as hell wont be angel. :P

Ra1th
Apr 18th, 2011, 12:29 AM
LOL you wound me goodie, That's ok, me n Angel say &quot;Fuck youuuu!&quot; hahahahha <br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
This is gonna be my response to all the haters

Z Sniper
Apr 18th, 2011, 12:43 AM
HA! THAT is AWESOME!

Z Sniper
Apr 18th, 2011, 12:44 AM
Oh CRAP!! You labeled me as CAST! How am I supposed to be sneaky NOW? Guess I'll have to be sneakier!

nikvoodoo
Apr 18th, 2011, 01:08 AM
Oh CRAP!! You labeled me as CAST! How am I supposed to be sneaky NOW? Guess I'll have to be sneakier!
I betcha if you hadn't pointed it out, nobody would have paid attention ;)

And ra1th, I do hope you don't put that picture up every time you get into an Angel argument. I won't say it will deter me from ragging on Angel if I feel its deserved, but all you are going to do is force me to photoshop that picture for all the Angel haters out there :p

Z Sniper
Apr 18th, 2011, 01:50 AM
I betcha if you hadn't pointed it out, nobody would have paid attention ;)

And ra1th, I do hope you don't put that picture up every time you get into an Angel argument. I won't say it will deter me from ragging on Angel if I feel its deserved, but all you are going to do is
force me to photoshop that picture for all the Angel haters out there :p

Ha! Let the photoshop wars begin!!

itsallgoodie
Apr 18th, 2011, 12:41 PM
LOL you wound me goodie, That's ok, me n Angel say "Fuck youuuu!" hahahahha

http://i.imgur.com/ic5qB.jpg

if you like angel so much, why are you standing with michael?

Wicked Sid
Apr 18th, 2011, 01:00 PM

LMFAO! That is so great! Good job!

Ra1th
Apr 18th, 2011, 05:58 PM

ROFL ohh man that's good

TCM Revolver
Apr 18th, 2011, 06:03 PM

If you look really hard, it looks like Jim has a black poodle stapled to the back of his head. lol

itsallgoodie
Apr 18th, 2011, 06:31 PM
No i bet its just shane lurking in the background wishing that raith liked him more than jim.

Ra1th
Apr 18th, 2011, 06:38 PM
Dayumn goodie is bringin the pain hahaha

itsallgoodie
Apr 18th, 2011, 06:38 PM
hey man, you asked for it :P

mush_rooms
Apr 19th, 2011, 02:56 PM
I have a question...

WHY DO STEPLAUGH AND KC HAVE THE SAME FACE?!

http://i.imgur.com/vRCSb.jpg

StepLaugh
Apr 19th, 2011, 03:37 PM
LOL

I can kinda see it now :p

Only you would point it out though.

Craneses
Apr 19th, 2011, 08:16 PM
Any news on those poster sizes? =P

Z Sniper
Apr 19th, 2011, 09:59 PM
Any news on those poster sizes? =P

I believe they're 18x24.

Zombiehead
Apr 19th, 2011, 10:36 PM
@mush_rooms
OMG, you're right! whoaaaa

Craneses
Apr 20th, 2011, 08:27 AM
I believe they're 18x24.

Oh! Great, thank you. =)

riskbreaker23
Apr 25th, 2011, 12:18 PM
LOL you wound me goodie, That's ok, me n Angel say "Fuck youuuu!" hahahahha

http://zombiepodcast.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=542&d=1303111660

HAHA! That is awesome! My question is who hates on Angel? He wasn't really that annoying after Chapter 2 lol ever since he's been pretty awesome.

Kc
Apr 25th, 2011, 02:47 PM
I believe they're 18x24.
You are correct!

Ra1th
Apr 26th, 2011, 12:50 PM
Will we ever find out how the infection spread, or what caused it? Or are you taking a walking dead approach, and basing it on character's and their development due to the zombie apocalypse rather than the zombie apocalypse itself?

Ra1th
Apr 26th, 2011, 12:53 PM
HAHA! That is awesome! My question is who hates on Angel? He wasn't really that annoying after Chapter 2 lol ever since he's been pretty awesome.

There's always someone who doesnt like the character for one reason or another. uhhh some think he's the traitor *cough* Weston *cough cough*. Some are still pissed at him because he left saul during the fire (even though burt and michael were also there and they both left him as well...) Some never got over the whole he was annoying in the first two chapters thing. haters gonna hate

WestonWisdom
Apr 26th, 2011, 01:07 PM
There's always someone who doesnt like the character for one reason or another. uhhh some think he's the traitor *cough* Weston *cough cough*. Some are still pissed at him because he left saul during the fire (even though burt and michael were also there and they both left him as well...) Some never got over the whole he was annoying in the first two chapters thing. haters gonna hate

Did I mention he left Saul behind? Sounds like a traitor to me.

Ra1th
Apr 26th, 2011, 01:07 PM
sigh........... i digress

nikvoodoo
Apr 26th, 2011, 01:43 PM
Boys, keep your Angel fighting to the appropriate threads :p

Kc
Apr 26th, 2011, 01:44 PM
Will we ever find out how the infection spread, or what caused it? Or are you taking a walking dead approach, and basing it on character's and their development due to the zombie apocalypse rather than the zombie apocalypse itself?
We have an explanation to things, but how you'll find out might be based on perspective. In other words, you'll just have to wait and see.

yarri
Apr 26th, 2011, 01:45 PM
Did I mention he left Saul behind? Sounds like a traitor to me.

I will point out Michael left him as well until motivated differently. But as Ra1th said this isn't the right thread.... :D

Ra1th
Apr 26th, 2011, 02:47 PM
we have an explanation to things, but how you'll find out might be based on perspective. In other words, you'll just have to wait and see.

sweet!

ZeoBoku
May 1st, 2011, 03:05 AM
I'm just curious. What fonts do you use for the show like in the title and in the website...zom

Osiris
May 10th, 2011, 03:13 PM
1. What are the chances of a 10 year reunion of the cast for a 'We're Still Alive... Mostly' episode?
2. Do you ever have reservations about 'letting go' of a character to move the story forward or do you approach it from a very cool, calculated and clinical place?
3. Who is your favourite O.T.R. character?

Kc
May 10th, 2011, 03:21 PM
I'm just curious. What fonts do you use for the show like in the title and in the website...zom
That's hand written. It's not an actual font. Other fonts tend to be some sort of variation of Typewriter.

Kc
May 10th, 2011, 03:27 PM
1. What are the chances of a 10 year reunion of the cast for a 'We're Still Alive... Mostly' episode?
2. Do you ever have reservations about 'letting go' of a character to move the story forward or do you approach it from a very cool, calculated and clinical place?
3. Who is your favourite O.T.R. character?
1. There may be a possibility of that. We need to get through the series first.
2. In some ways yes. I wouldn't want to have a character that you get attached to die in a meaningless way. It's a good thing we planned those things out a long way in advance.
3. Old time radio character? um... I don't really have one. I haven't listened to enough to have much of an opinion on it. I come from more of a film background-

cupcakezombie
May 17th, 2011, 01:33 AM
1. How long does it take to do all of various parts of a chapter; write, record, post production?
2. For how long had you been planning to make WA?
3. What other media would you MOST like to see WA in?
4. If you weren't doing WA right now what would you be doing?

Kc
May 24th, 2011, 11:31 AM
1. How long does it take to do all of various parts of a chapter; write, record, post production?

Write: Um... depends on the Chapter, but anywhere from 20 to 40 hours. That covers all the drafting stages, etc..
Record: 4 hours per chapter. (Sometimes more or less depending on if we have different makeup sessions)
Post Production: 20 to 30 hours per episode.

2. For how long had you been planning to make WA?
Till we're done. I was quoted with a year at the live event, but it's really until we're done telling the story at the end of season 4.

3. What other media would you MOST like to see WA in?
TV would be great. Some people love it in Audiodrama form, and that's what we write it for now. If we did something for TV, we'd write it for that too.

4. If you weren't doing WA right now what would you be doing?

Working on scripts, doing short films, it's hard to say.

Magrat
Jun 5th, 2011, 04:15 AM
I was watching the live showing of episode 1 & one of the actors (scratch?) mentioned you taking them into the other room to give them some extra info to influence their character and how they play a certain scene.
On the WND podcast, Jim Gleason mentioned not being told spoilers (ie, about Michael's arm or disappearance). I was wondering, how do you choose what to tell and what not to? Is it just a sake of letting them play the scene and if it's done contrary to character info they don't know you pull them aide?

Also, as a supplementary question, does the actor of the mole/traitor know they are the mole/traitor? Or are you just letting them play it in innocence?

Kc
Jun 5th, 2011, 02:24 PM
I was watching the live showing of episode 1 & one of the actors (scratch?) mentioned you taking them into the other room to give them some extra info to influence their character and how they play a certain scene.
On the WND podcast, Jim Gleason mentioned not being told spoilers (ie, about Michael's arm or disappearance). I was wondering, how do you choose what to tell and what not to? Is it just a sake of letting them play the scene and if it's done contrary to character info they don't know you pull them aide?

Also, as a supplementary question, does the actor of the mole/traitor know they are the mole/traitor? Or are you just letting them play it in innocence?

Good question. It depends on what it is they have as a motivation. If the backstory or information influences how they interact in a certain scene, yes I will. Some of the info I didn't feel was necessary to tell Jim, but other info was necessary for Scratch.

Now does the traitor know who they are? That I'll leave for another day... Maybe save this one for when it's all over.

Grognaurd
Jun 5th, 2011, 05:59 PM
Brass

It seems to me that The Shooter did not take time to pick up the brass from the shooting. I also do not think they were talented enough to catch the brass.

I did not hear Michael or Angel mention it. No brass and we are looking for a revolver. There could be brass on the floor that Riley could pick up as she took over. What she does with it is unanswered.

StepLaugh
Jun 5th, 2011, 06:40 PM
*pushes up glasses*

Now Mr. Wayland sir, who is your daddy and what does he do?

Magrat
Jun 6th, 2011, 08:35 PM
Good question. It depends on what it is they have as a motivation. If the backstory or information influences how they interact in a certain scene, yes I will. Some of the info I didn't feel was necessary to tell Jim, but other info was necessary for Scratch.

Now does the traitor know who they are? That I'll leave for another day... Maybe save this one for when it's all over.

Thanks KC!

Was also wondering how long the foley side of things takes?
Also, to date, what was the longest/hardest/most frustrating sound-effect to recreate?
Have you ever thrown down the shoes in exasperation and shouted "Shane! I'm tired of doing the running for now. Take over... The only way I'm staying here with a boot on each hand is if they're walking away from the zombies!"

Cheers,
Magrat.

COsurvivor
Jun 9th, 2011, 11:32 PM
My question is about something no-so story related...

I am thinking about writing a Prequel portion to Kalani... would that be OK?

Creem_Filling
Jun 10th, 2011, 09:04 PM
What kind of lawyer was Kelly before all this? Did she do divorces, a defence attorney, or a little bit of everything? I understand this is a character background question, and sometimes those things just have to be revealed later.

Magrat
Jun 18th, 2011, 05:50 AM
Thanks KC!

Also, to date, what was the longest/hardest/most frustrating sound-effect to recreate?
Have you ever thrown down the shoes in exasperation and shouted "Shane! I'm tired of doing the running for now. Take over... The only way I'm staying here with a boot on each hand is if they're walking away from the zombies!"

Cheers,
Magrat.

Also, where do you announce the auditions? :-P

Ok, ok. I'll behave now...

Golden
Jun 22nd, 2011, 03:39 PM
Why are there no children in your podcast. As in no Zombie children or surviour children was that deliberate or just the way it happend.( I do remember the ones the gatekeeper killed I mean as actors)

7oddisdead
Jun 22nd, 2011, 09:07 PM
As a fellow former fan of lost, we know that part of the development of the lost characters was all of them were in need of some type of redemption. At times it seems theres a more centralized theme to the character development in w/a..without getting into too much detail..would you say theres more to the lessons we learn from these characters than merely "survival"?

Osiris
Jul 11th, 2011, 10:41 AM
While trying to uncover the mystery of characters knowing information they shouldn't have (failed recollection on my part, turns out they did) I stumbled upon something that sparked a memory in the back of my head, though it may be a reach...

In Chapter 6-2 as Saul runs off to follow Scratch and Latch, Burt yells after him asking for the channel that he will be on. Saul responds with 23. Is that perhaps a reference to Hotel 23 from Day by Day Armageddon's 'Hotel 23'?

Kc
Jul 11th, 2011, 11:17 AM
Brass

It seems to me that The Shooter did not take time to pick up the brass from the shooting. I also do not think they were talented enough to catch the brass.

I did not hear Michael or Angel mention it. No brass and we are looking for a revolver. There could be brass on the floor that Riley could pick up as she took over. What she does with it is unanswered.

I can say that the shooter didn't leave the brass. I thought about having the scraping of the carpet to pick it up, but don't think listeners would have heard it...

Kc
Jul 11th, 2011, 11:30 AM

Sorry, for not getting to these sooner, I didn't know I had questions waiting.
Foley... We don't do it for every episode. We have a lot of SFX on file and can typically get through an episode without having to do foley. That being said, Chapter 23 was NOT possible to do without foley. With Saul's scene of him BARELY talking, we had much more to create that I wanted to be very specific. So, an Episode's Foley typically can be about 3 to 4 hours. And that's mostly just footsteps.

To Date, the hardest SFX. Um... Some of the car stuff and radio stuff is really tedious and frustrating. You have to do it over and over and get every click and pop and it takes a while to get the timing right. Getting a car SFX to react to the way you want is hard too. You have to consider the swerving and the road texture, wind, etc... And We use a lot of different types of cars.

Recently Grayson and I do the foley work if we need to. And yes, we do switch off because it is tiring, running around like 4 times as different people.

My question is about something no-so story related...

I am thinking about writing a Prequel portion to Kalani... would that be OK?

You can write what you wish, but it would be considered fan fiction. There still may be details of certain back stories that have not been revealed yet.

What kind of lawyer was Kelly before all this? Did she do divorces, a defence attorney, or a little bit of everything? I understand this is a character background question, and sometimes those things just have to be revealed later.

Yeah, this is another backstory thing that we haven't talked about in the story.

Also, where do you announce the auditions?.

We keep that pretty secret. If you have a VO audition you can send it via e-mail, but the casting notices might say things about the characters that we don't want people knowing or might be blatant misleadings to find the type of character we want.

Why are there no children in your podcast. As in no Zombie children or surviour children was that deliberate or just the way it happend.( I do remember the ones the gatekeeper killed I mean as actors)

They weren't fast enough ;) There's also few old people.

As a fellow former fan of lost, we know that part of the development of the lost characters was all of them were in need of some type of redemption. At times it seems theres a more centralized theme to the character development in w/a..without getting into too much detail..would you say theres more to the lessons we learn from these characters than merely "survival"?

Oh yeah. People brought their issues into the disaster. Riley brought her drinking, and a few others as well.

In Chapter 6-2 as Saul runs off to follow Scratch and Latch, Burt yells after him asking for the channel that he will be on. Saul responds with 23. Is that perhaps a reference to Hotel 23 from Day by Day Armageddon's 'Hotel 23'?

23 was an old friend of mine's fav number and I think Michael Jordan's number.

GD_Elite
Jul 15th, 2011, 12:30 PM
A few questions to clear my mind up, and so they can be added to the wiki.

Exactly what weapons do the team set off with in 1-2. As far as I can tell, Michael and Angel have 2 rifles each, Saul has the Saw and his knife, and they have 2 pistols too. Is saul carrying any rifles, and do they have any pistols for themselves?
What weapon is Datu using in the early story? Is it a Beretta or the Colt .45? I'm assuming he uses the same one from early on until the arena trip. Also what is Lizzy using?
What is Riley's callsign? She says it in 22-2 at 19:20. It sounds like Wazzle or something but I can't make it out.

Also, if you have a moment, could you possibly check out the loopholes and inconsistencies thread (http://zombiepodcast.com/forum/showthread.php?1576-Loopholes-amp-Inconsistencies/page7&highlight=loopholes+inconsistencies), I think I might be onto some winners there. :)

Thanks alot.

Grognaurd
Jul 15th, 2011, 12:49 PM

Exactly what weapons do the team set off with in 1-2. As far as I can tell, Michael and Angel have 2 rifles each, Saul has the Saw and his knife, and they have 2 pistols too. Is saul carrying any rifles, and do they have any pistols for themselves?
What weapon is Datu using in the early story? Is it a Beretta or the Colt .45? I'm assuming he uses the same one from early on until the arena trip. Also what is Lizzy using?
What is Riley's callsign? She says it in 22-2 at 19:20. It sounds like Wazzle or something but I can't make it out.

Also, if you have a moment, could you possibly check out the loopholes and inconsistencies thread (http://zombiepodcast.com/forum/showthread.php?1576-Loopholes-amp-Inconsistencies/page7&highlight=loopholes+inconsistencies), I think I might be onto some winners there. :)

Thanks alot.

I can help with some of these to take some pressure off of KC.

Riley is "oiseau" French for Bird
Not Sure on Datu. BUt, the Colt is not found until CHapter 2. When he is trapped, I think I heard him ussing the shotgun Angel found along the way.
I remember Lizzy using an M16 on more than one occasion.

Kc
Jul 15th, 2011, 12:54 PM

Thanks alot.

Exactly what weapons do the team set off with in 1-2- Angel and Michael has their m-16's while Saul has the SAW. In their bags they carried what ammo they could, along with several Berettas. The Colt 45 was found later in one of the apartments along with several other weapons picked up along the way.

Lizzy is using one of the m-16's when she is captured, I think that's when you are asking. I'm not sure when you are asking about Datu, but most likely Beretta as well.

"l'oiseau" It's French for just Bird.

GD_Elite
Jul 15th, 2011, 12:59 PM
Thanks for the quick replies. What I meant by that second question is early on. 1-2 Angel claims there are 2 berettas - Riley takes one. Datu is given a pistol in 2-1 just after they find the colt .45. So i figured that riley had one pistol, that left either a Beretta or colt for Datu. After Pegs drops the plant pot, Lizzy is firing what sounds like a pistol, I assume this is the other one of the two.

Adventureless_Hero
Jul 15th, 2011, 01:00 PM
I kept wondering from what movie Bert got the idea to use the walkies to attract zombies to the bomb? I want to watch it!

Kc
Jul 15th, 2011, 02:53 PM
I kept wondering from what movie Bert got the idea to use the walkies to attract zombies to the bomb? I want to watch it!
Screamers... ;)

tantien
Jul 19th, 2011, 09:16 AM
Hi KC! Big fan of the WA Podcast. Regarding the question about LOST, I too was concerned that WA would just continue without an actual end but I don't think that's your plan. Clearly I love the characters and production AND your writing, but can you tell us (without giving too much away) what your plans for the WA saga are (i.e. how many seasons or episodes are you planning and how do you see the story arc playing out to a finish)?

Kc
Jul 19th, 2011, 09:37 AM
Hi KC! Big fan of the WA Podcast. Regarding the question about LOST, I too was concerned that WA would just continue without an actual end but I don't think that's your plan. Clearly I love the characters and production AND your writing, but can you tell us (without giving too much away) what your plans for the WA saga are (i.e. how many seasons or episodes are you planning and how do you see the story arc playing out to a finish)?

I've bounced back and forth between the idea of 3 or 4 seasons. The reason being that the ending in mind and the pivotal events in between will take a season or 2 to play out. As for what those arcs and endings are, you'll just have to wait for now ;)

ClearSights
Jul 19th, 2011, 05:46 PM
Hey KC, I just have a quick question. I know that We're Alive was a non-profit generating podcast for the first season and so. I was just wondering how much it cost to get all the studio time, editing, and everything that it took to put this together. This is a prime example of putting it all on the line for something you love. Like you started off just doing this with a hunch that it could become something and now its booming and has the possibility to make a huge revenue. Its just very nice to see someone that started this with just the intent of putting a good story out there and having benefits come out of it because you put it all into the story. I look up to you on this aspect.

And PS. Ive listened to the series so far about 3 times through at work and its the only thing I listen too anymore. Thanks for hooking me. Hah

Kc
Jul 19th, 2011, 08:31 PM
Hey KC, I just have a quick question. I know that We're Alive was a non-profit generating podcast for the first season and so. I was just wondering how much it cost to get all the studio time, editing, and everything that it took to put this together. This is a prime example of putting it all on the line for something you love. Like you started off just doing this with a hunch that it could become something and now its booming and has the possibility to make a huge revenue. Its just very nice to see someone that started this with just the intent of putting a good story out there and having benefits come out of it because you put it all into the story. I look up to you on this aspect.

And PS. Ive listened to the series so far about 3 times through at work and its the only thing I listen too anymore. Thanks for hooking me. Hah
The costs have not been significant, but mostly that's because of being very resourceful. I work at the university we use the sound stage for, and the long hours of editing are done in house and very long work days. Matter of fact I'm editing at the moment. If I were to hire an editor for the amount of time I spend on an episode the show'd go bankrupt ;)

So the cost: blood, sweat, and kelly tears...

Zombiehead
Jul 19th, 2011, 10:41 PM
Screamers... ;)

Oh wow, I used to love that movie as a kid. Haven't seen it in ages.

Th3_T3ch
Jul 24th, 2011, 08:26 PM
I know at least one person has asked if they can write a story based on your characters in WA. What I would like permission to do is to use your ZOMBIE types. I won't write anything about figuring out what caused the ZEDs to show up, not yet at least (not until you release that information, and then I will ask again if I can use that portion of the story). I just want to know if I am allowed to or if you would prefer that I don't use them due to your own personal plot integrity. I will NOT be using any of the characters in WA. The story is going to be set in a place an hour away and then in a different state (both are small towns that you will probably not be using). NONE of my characters will venture into LA at or even south for that matter (that is the direction of LA from the towns) They head north into Oregon. In case you forgot what the question was because of all this reading, may I use ONLY the zombie types from WA?

Magrat
Jul 31st, 2011, 08:27 PM
Sorry, for not getting to these sooner, I didn't know I had questions waiting.
Foley... We don't do it for every episode. We have a lot of SFX on file and can typically get through an episode without having to do foley. That being said, Chapter 23 was NOT possible to do without foley. With Saul's scene of him BARELY talking, we had much more to create that I wanted to be very specific. So, an Episode's Foley typically can be about 3 to 4 hours. And that's mostly just footsteps.

To Date, the hardest SFX. Um... Some of the car stuff and radio stuff is really tedious and frustrating. You have to do it over and over and get every click and pop and it takes a while to get the timing right. Getting a car SFX to react to the way you want is hard too. You have to consider the swerving and the road texture, wind, etc... And We use a lot of different types of cars.

Recently Grayson and I do the foley work if we need to. And yes, we do switch off because it is tiring, running around like 4 times as different people.

Cheers KC. Well done on the crazy season finale. Was listening to the post-show (missed the pre show) and was sad I couldn't
call in (evil iphone) but it sounded like it went wonderfully!
As far as the foley question goes, thank you very much for the answer. Having had to slave over a microphone for Vision Australia Radio a few times, including editing a few of their radio dramas & play adaptions, I know how painful it can be to try and get that one sound effect right (especially if you have something similar, but not quite right, on file). The time and effort you put into this show is constantly astounding and hopefully for you it is paying off as much as it is for us!
Now that's out of the way, time for the questions:

We keep that pretty secret. If you have a VO audition you can send it via e-mail, but the casting notices might say things about the characters that we don't want people knowing or might be blatant misleadings to find the type of character we want.

OK. Now the irritation starts.
1. As a poor Australian 'actor' (also known as a Deli Worker) having just started out into the angry world of semi-professional-acting at the start of this year, WHAT email would I send a VO (Voice Over Audition, presumably) to?

2. Where can I find these casting notices? Where are they posted to? Or are you happy to just receive a "Here's the range of stuff I can do, would you like me to do it or go away and stop bothering you now?" ?

3. I know you are a big fan (and I understand it's importance) of having the cast in a room together, near you, but you have recorded out of the studio for actors before (Greg's Pete & Bob Bergen's Skittles I think?). How off-putting is it for you to have none of that face time (unless there is Skype time in and around the line recording)?

4. I am sorry to harp on about this. I shall leave you alone now. But as someone who is just starting to break out into the Victorian Acting scene, having done radio dramas before, and having loved the ever-loving-cr*p out of WA for the last year or so, I would dearly love to be involved somehow.
If it's just as a forum lurker and a fan... I can live with that, funnily enough. If I can audition I will die happily. If I got in... I would probably just die on the spot (which would make me useless except as a zombie or zombie fodder).
That would... yep. I'm going to leave now. I think I've scared him enough.

Thanks KC, once again, and feel free to pm me with the info (if you want to give it) about the Character Postings if you don't want to post that here (understandable), or just ban me for creepiness and run away screaming. Whichever.
Cheers,
Magrat.

nikvoodoo
Jul 31st, 2011, 10:46 PM
If it's just as a forum lurker and a fan... I can live with that, funnily enough. If I can audition I will die happily. If I got in... I would probably just die on the spot (which would make me useless except as a zombie or zombie fodder).

Oh come now....he could use you for lots of things. Like throw you off a building to capture the sound of the crunch....or shoot you so he could get the bullet impact....You could have been that guy in the first chapter that gets his head cut off......There's lots of things Kc could do with your dead body! :p

Th3_T3ch
Jul 31st, 2011, 11:03 PM
Oh come now....he could use you for lots of things. Like throw you off a building to capture the sound of the crunch....or shoot you so he could get the bullet impact....You could have been that guy in the first chapter that gets his head cut off......There's lots of things Kc could do with your dead body! :p

So morbid Nik. Almost homicidal, except for the fact that the body would be dead. True none the less.

Creem_Filling
Jul 31st, 2011, 11:08 PM
What does KC stand for? Or is your name actually just two letters? I know it's not show related and I hope it's not rude to ask, my curiosity is just unquenchable.

GD_Elite
Aug 1st, 2011, 02:11 AM
My next questions are:

How do you spell Hannah/Hanna and Cain/Caine/Cane?

Magrat
Aug 1st, 2011, 03:17 AM

Oh deary me yes!
Can't wait! Ooooh ooooh, maybe Mr Whisker's can eat me!

*what.... what the hell are we talking about?!*

Kc
Aug 1st, 2011, 08:59 AM
OK. Now the irritation starts.
1. As a poor Australian 'actor' (also known as a Deli Worker) having just started out into the angry world of semi-professional-acting at the start of this year, WHAT email would I send a VO (Voice Over Audition, presumably) to?

2. Where can I find these casting notices? Where are they posted to? Or are you happy to just receive a "Here's the range of stuff I can do, would you like me to do it or go away and stop bothering you now?" ?

3. I know you are a big fan (and I understand it's importance) of having the cast in a room together, near you, but you have recorded out of the studio for actors before (Greg's Pete & Bob Bergen's Skittles I think?). How off-putting is it for you to have none of that face time (unless there is Skype time in and around the line recording)?

4. I am sorry to harp on about this. I shall leave you alone now. But as someone who is just starting to break out into the Victorian Acting scene, having done radio dramas before, and having loved the ever-loving-cr*p out of WA for the last year or so, I would dearly love to be involved somehow.
That would... yep. I'm going to leave now. I think I've scared him enough.

1. You can send it to kc@zombiepodcast.com
2. We post the notices in places kept secret. Most of the time we'll do it so fans don't have any hints or misleadings to what's going on. I'm more than happy to receive ranges of stuff someone can do. Keep in mind we like our actors coming into a studio to be directed. It's just a personal pref. Also makes sure the quality and fidelity matches for each mic.
3. It's not easy to direct from far away. I've done it, and with decent results. Bob Bergen is a BIG exception because the guy is a super-pro level voice actor. I give him half a direction and he's able to run with it. Matching energy levels is near impossible and you also limit other actors by not having that interaction.
In other words, send me your stuff and your recording quality and I'll keep you in mind :)

Kc
Aug 1st, 2011, 09:03 AM
What does KC stand for? Or is your name actually just two letters? I know it's not show related and I hope it's not rude to ask, my curiosity is just unquenchable.
I was named after my Mother's initials. Legally it can be spelled "Casey", but I've been going by Kc for a long time...

Kc
Aug 1st, 2011, 09:12 AM
My next questions are:

How do you spell Hannah/Hanna and Cain/Caine/Cane?
Good question. I'll have to look to make sure.
Ok: Cain and Hannah.

Magrat
Aug 4th, 2011, 05:03 AM
1. You can send it to kc@zombiepodcast.com
2. We post the notices in places kept secret. Most of the time we'll do it so fans don't have any hints or misleadings to what's going on. I'm more than happy to receive ranges of stuff someone can do. Keep in mind we like our actors coming into a studio to be directed. It's just a personal pref. Also makes sure the quality and fidelity matches for each mic.
3. It's not easy to direct from far away. I've done it, and with decent results. Bob Bergen is a BIG exception because the guy is a super-pro level voice actor. I give him half a direction and he's able to run with it. Matching energy levels is near impossible and you also limit other actors by not having that interaction.
In other words, send me your stuff and your recording quality and I'll keep you in mind :)

Thanks KC.

New Q (It's never ending! Why did you agree to do this you silly man?!)

Question: How much of a break are you going to be able to give yourself before getting back into the writing of the show?

(side note: oh please do a 4 season run!)

Cheers,
Magrat.

Kc
Aug 4th, 2011, 08:47 AM
Question: How much of a break are you going to be able to give yourself before getting back into the writing of the show?

Maybe a few weeks. Maybe a month. Hard to say...

Zombiehead
Aug 4th, 2011, 08:49 AM
My withdrawal symptoms haven't kicked in yet so I'll let you have a month! :)

nikvoodoo
Aug 4th, 2011, 08:58 AM
Maybe a few weeks. Maybe a month. Hard to say...

Want a writing intern? ;)

Kc
Aug 4th, 2011, 09:05 AM
Want a writing intern? ;)
HA HA! I won't say I haven't thought about it...

nikvoodoo
Aug 4th, 2011, 09:12 AM
HA HA! I won't say I haven't thought about it...

Even though it would mean the end of the Voodoo Lounge, I'd gladly Volunteer my services.

Or I could keep the Voodoo Lounge open and just make it a total gag. "Aliens Come and Perform a Gender Realignment Surgery on Amy of the Colony" 99%! It's Gonna happen!

Kc
Aug 4th, 2011, 09:13 AM
Even though it would mean the end of the Voodoo Lounge, I'd gladly Volunteer my services.

Or I could keep the Voodoo Lounge open and just make it a total gag. "Aliens Come and Perform a Gender Realignment Surgery on Amy of the Colony" 99%! It's Gonna happen!
HA HA! Poor Voodoo lounge. But seriously, perhaps on future projects. This one I'm pretty sure I have handled.

nrtv20
Aug 4th, 2011, 10:21 AM
KC, Does the date May 8th 2009 have any significance outside of "we're alive" why was that date picked?

Sunshine
Aug 17th, 2011, 01:27 PM
KC, is there a third season schedule in mind? Will it be 2011?

Thanks for such an entertaining series.

Kc
Aug 19th, 2011, 08:11 AM
KC, Does the date May 8th 2009 have any significance outside of "we're alive" why was that date picked?
Yes! It was a week or two after the first episode aired. SO you could see it as an alternate future.

Kc
Aug 19th, 2011, 08:12 AM
KC, is there a third season schedule in mind? Will it be 2011?

Thanks for such an entertaining series. Oh of course! How could it end like it did?

CantWaitForSeason3
Aug 27th, 2011, 10:53 AM
Saul and Victor live by themselves in a "heterosexual" partnership. Michael and Pegs fly to Fort Irwin. Everything is fine there. Lizzy gets raped and dies. Everybody else... dies too I guess.

Will this happen???

I DOUBT IT!

werewolf
Sep 12th, 2011, 05:24 PM
its almost like being a kid at Christmas, waiting until that day so that you can finally enjoy what Santa, and all the elves made (KC and the cast and crew):cool:

Daddy Doom Bar
Sep 15th, 2011, 11:02 AM
Apologies, I guess you get this one a lot, but any idea when season 3 will be starting?

Also :Will season 3 be the end of We're Alive's current storyline?

Do you have any plans for another story set in the same 'world'?

Have you ever thought about franchising the series? I thought about writing a radio play a year or so ago with an apocalyptic theme. Perhaps I could write 'We're Alive - UK'? But then I'd need to know the ins and outs of the story to be able to write about it in a similar way...Hmmm...I live in the wilds of North Cornwall, wonder what would happen should the events in LA have spread to here....

Word of mouth success stories usually end up as a film about the makers (i.e Social Network) if the same happened about We're Alive, who would you like to play you in the movie?

With World War Z (Yay - can't wait for that!) being filmed at the moment (I watched them filming on a boat in Falmouth a month or so ago) and a few other zombie flicks in the works or about to be released, a We're Alive movie would be perfectly timed for the next couple of years. Has anyone approached you yet?

I've been promoting WA over here in the U.K as much as I can, and everyone I've recommended it to loves it despite being a little anti-outside world at the moment. (Us brits are a fickle lot) Did you ever see WA being popular overseas?

Er, that's it I think....
Cheers!

Solanine
Sep 20th, 2011, 12:13 PM
After time to reflect, do you think that you hold another event like that? What did you learn from it?

Kc
Sep 20th, 2011, 12:37 PM
Apologies, I guess you get this one a lot, but any idea when season 3 will be starting?
Winter.

Also :Will season 3 be the end of We're Alive's current storyline?
Possibly. I've gone back and forth whether or not it will be a long Season 3 or 2 more seasons. I'm writing to content, not length, so it's hard to say.

Do you have any plans for another story set in the same 'world'?
That has been a possibility, but we'll have to wait and see what happens. There are elements of other stories that have been touched on by events in WA, but could only be told in a different story. I am drawn to a moment where gas is found in a space station on mars. Only lucasarts fans would know what I'm talking about.

Have you ever thought about franchising the series? I thought about writing a radio play a year or so ago with an apocalyptic theme. Perhaps I could write 'We're Alive - UK'? But then I'd need to know the ins and outs of the story to be able to write about it in a similar way...Hmmm...I live in the wilds of North Cornwall, wonder what would happen should the events in LA have spread to here....
No. That's something I would very much not support. It's not meant to be insulting, but this is a story that I'm very close to and protect it. Without immense amounts of control on the story, it would become problematic on top of a variety of other problems. I want WA to remain clear and consistent, no matter what medium it is in.

Word of mouth success stories usually end up as a film about the makers (i.e Social Network) if the same happened about We're Alive, who would you like to play you in the movie?
Ha ha. That's very funny for many reasons I can't discus- But to be honest, I have no idea. Somone skinny, tall, and bald.

With World War Z (Yay - can't wait for that!) being filmed at the moment (I watched them filming on a boat in Falmouth a month or so ago) and a few other zombie flicks in the works or about to be released, a We're Alive movie would be perfectly timed for the next couple of years. Has anyone approached you yet?
No. Not as of yet. I have had some small discussions with people, but nothing that has any weight. It's not something I worry about. Look how long it took other books to be made into movies. It's a long process and to have it done right would be the ultimate goal.

I've been promoting WA over here in the U.K as much as I can, and everyone I've recommended it to loves it despite being a little anti-outside world at the moment. (Us brits are a fickle lot) Did you ever see WA being popular overseas?
We have a lot of fans in the UK, I think because Audio Dramas are very much still alive over there. Many people around in the US don't exactly know what an audio drama is, or how to obtain one. It's a medium that's difficult to explain to someone who has never experienced it.

Kc
Sep 20th, 2011, 12:37 PM
After time to reflect, do you think that you hold another event like that? What did you learn from it?
The season Finale streaming or the Live event?

Solanine
Sep 20th, 2011, 12:50 PM
Well, both but I meant to say the live event.

Kc
Sep 20th, 2011, 03:05 PM
Well, both but I meant to say the live event.
They were both things out of the box and helped promote us. I'd like to do it again, but it was very difficult to arrange the first time. Only the future will know...

Solanine
Sep 20th, 2011, 11:48 PM
Well, I guess we'll see. The live airing was great for the finale, the sense of community and the intense hour spent listening were rather overwhelming.

7oddisdead
Sep 21st, 2011, 01:33 AM
For the sake of the new members here, I'll ask this..in the early stages of the w/a story. How did you go about promotion and hype to create what the following has ultimately become? To me at least, that seems a more daunting task than actually producing content. :)

And as a creative person in general, when I find myself at the halfway/ two-thirds complete point of any project, I find myself already thinking of the next. Of coarse the current project is finished, but the desire for the "next thing" has already begun...during this "hiatus", do you find yourself at least thinking of the "what's next"?

Kn1ckerb0cker33
Sep 23rd, 2011, 02:10 PM
Query.

Since it's been established that majority of the cast and crew have day-jobs...

1. does the cast members availabilities ever factor into how a chapter is recorded and...
2. does it ever effect the storyline in terms a of a character having to be switched out with another due to a cast member being unavailable to record? Or are they usually informed ahead of time so they fit it in their schedule?

Kc
Sep 23rd, 2011, 02:26 PM
For the sake of the new members here, I'll ask this..in the early stages of the w/a story. How did you go about promotion and hype to create what the following has ultimately become? To me at least, that seems a more daunting task than actually producing content. :)

And as a creative person in general, when I find myself at the halfway/ two-thirds complete point of any project, I find myself already thinking of the next. Of coarse the current project is finished, but the desire for the "next thing" has already begun...during this "hiatus", do you find yourself at least thinking of the "what's next"?

In the early stages of the w/a story. How did you go about promotion and hype to create what the following has ultimately become?

It was all word of mouth and trying to push out as much as possible. I made connections with other producers of online content, spammed Zombie threads, spammed other threads. E-mails, websites, videos, just about anything I could do to try and get the project out there. It took a LONG time before we started picking up "fans", almost 3/4 of a year. It wasn't till around Chapter 9 or 10 that the numbers started to climb. To promote is more daunting than producing, but it's all part of it.

during this "hiatus", do you find yourself at least thinking of the "what's next"?

I've been mentally preparing since the last chapter was finished with the details of the next season. If you're talking about after WA, I have something in store after that. Might not be an audio drama, might be a book. We'll have to wait and see, but the story is already in development.

Kc
Sep 23rd, 2011, 02:30 PM
Query.

Since it's been established that majority of the cast and crew have day-jobs...

1. does the cast members availabilities ever factor into how a chapter is recorded and...
2. does it ever effect the storyline in terms a of a character having to be switched out with another due to a cast member being unavailable to record? Or are they usually informed ahead of time so they fit it in their schedule?

Yes, and sometimes it's also very convenient. Saul had a long vacation planned around the same time he was sick in the series, so it worked out well. Sometimes a character's role can be changed if they aren't available, but most of the time we just find a way around it and record that person separately.

Not really. Minor adjustments are made here and there and I try to let everyone know who's in the next chapter ahead of time. The cast is super flexible thankfully and in audio we have a lot more power than film. Very few chapters have been recorded where 100% of the characters are there.

Daddy Doom Bar
Sep 24th, 2011, 07:18 AM
Have you had any kind of emotional attachment to a character that makes you change how they act/what happens to them in the story? I wrote a short novel where I added in a character to kill off. When it came time to write his death, I didn't as I enjoyed writing his character. He ended up a major part of the plot.
Do you have a particular character you really enjoy writing for?

Kc
Sep 27th, 2011, 10:30 AM
Have you had any kind of emotional attachment to a character that makes you change how they act/what happens to them in the story? I wrote a short novel where I added in a character to kill off. When it came time to write his death, I didn't as I enjoyed writing his character. He ended up a major part of the plot.
Do you have a particular character you really enjoy writing for?
I have a lot of attachment to my characters, and yes it is hard to kill them off, BUT since the story depends on those sorts of things to happen, you do what you have to do.

A particular Characters I like to write? Hard to say. I enjoy writing all of them, but I find Burt the easiest and most fun to write. The movie quoting thing is something I do a lot, so that part is really fun.

Daddy Doom Bar
Sep 27th, 2011, 11:30 AM
I know what you mean. I try to squeeze little things into my writing, like a pirate ship called the Daily Sparrow (not a Pirates of the Carribean ref, though)
But I suppose it's even harder for you as you've probably got to know the actors as well, so there's an added dimension to them in your head.

I just noticed.....in Chapter 23 (part three I think) when they're all in the lift in the hospital, and it stops abruptly Angel says 'what did I touch?' and someone else says something along the lines of 'nothing, we stopped'. Is that a reference to Jurassic Park? (Dr Grant and Malcolm say the same thing when the power cutting out stops the visitors car outside the Rex pen)

I love the movie references, even the Shakespear and Edgar Allen Poe quotes (if that's what they were). I think everyone enjoys Burt for the crafty one liners and film references. Please don't kill him off too quick! I'm going to love listening to his retorts under interrogation from the Mallers. (If he survived, that is ;) )

Kc
Sep 27th, 2011, 11:33 AM
I just noticed.....in Chapter 23 (part three I think) when they're all in the lift in the hospital, and it stops abruptly Angel says 'what did I touch?' and someone else says something along the lines of 'nothing, we stopped'. Is that a reference to Jurassic Park? (Dr Grant and Malcolm say the same thing when the power cutting out stops the visitors car outside the Rex pen)

Bingo ;)

Daddy Doom Bar
Sep 27th, 2011, 11:35 AM
Ah, I was right. Not sure if someone else caught onto that elsewhere in these here forums....I'm late to the party (only started listening under a month ago) and I'm never going to catch up on all the posts on everything!!

nikvoodoo
Sep 27th, 2011, 12:01 PM
Ah, I was right. Not sure if someone else caught onto that elsewhere in these here forums....I'm late to the party (only started listening under a month ago) and I'm never going to catch up on all the posts on everything!!

pfft....lazy.....You say it like there's a couple thousand posts.....

.....oh wait....

janjas
Sep 28th, 2011, 09:59 AM
hello em from portugal and i love this seires
can you tell me when is the season 3 going to begin?
could you give us some ideia or reumse of what is going to happen?
are you ever going to come to portugal to speak or do a live reading of the seires we are alive?

Kc
Sep 29th, 2011, 08:36 AM
hello em from portugal and i love this seires
can you tell me when is the season 3 going to begin?
could you give us some ideia or reumse of what is going to happen?
are you ever going to come to portugal to speak or do a live reading of the seires we are alive?

Season3 begins in Winter, I won't give any hints... and I'd love to go to Portugal, but we can't afford something like that at this time.

janjas
Sep 29th, 2011, 08:37 AM
ohhh can't you send me season 1 and 2 autogarf by all the voice actores and you?

chrisbrow
Dec 13th, 2011, 07:22 PM
Well I have a question I believe I heard some where maybe facebook that the new season would be starting in Jan! My question is will you be selling the CD of the season before the pod cast release schedule or will we have to tread the release schedule?

If the cd is not available at the start of the pod cast release schedule, let me suggest that you considre this. I think there are a ton of fans that would gladly play for the audio book "I use that term loosely" version before the pod cast release schedule. Not that I would not enjoy looking for this on a weekly basis, but I would gladly pay for the cd as waiting is not a skill I have mastered yet. I'm sure a lot of fans feel the same.

If you get a chance to anwser this that would be great.

nikvoodoo
Dec 13th, 2011, 07:51 PM
Well I have a question I believe I heard some where maybe facebook that the new season would be starting in Jan! My question is will you be selling the CD of the season before the pod cast release schedule or will we have to tread the release schedule?

If the cd is not available at the start of the pod cast release schedule, let me suggest that you considre this. I think there are a ton of fans that would gladly play for the audio book "I use that term loosely" version before the pod cast release schedule. Not that I would not enjoy looking for this on a weekly basis, but I would gladly pay for the cd as waiting is not a skill I have mastered yet. I'm sure a lot of fans feel the same.

If you get a chance to anwser this that would be great.

Asked and Answered already. (http://www.zombiepodcast.com/forum/showthread.php?2656-Release-season-set-before-podcast&p=31688&viewfull=1#post31688)

This isn't possible because the podcast gets recorded a chapter at a time and gets released as the podcast. Only when the season is fully released will a chapter set be possible.

Please don't repost questions from threads you've already started.

Kc
Dec 14th, 2011, 08:24 AM
Asked and Answered already. (http://www.zombiepodcast.com/forum/showthread.php?2656-Release-season-set-before-podcast&p=31688&viewfull=1#post31688)

Please don't repost questions from threads you've already started.

Ouch. Well, just for a more kind-hearted response, think of us like a TV show. Tv shows are produced and released for free over the course of the season. If the TV show were to release it as a disk set first, then the journey of the show would be very stilted. Imagine watching Lost where you didn't have a week (or weeks) between to think about, ponder, and talk about with others. The entire purpose of it would be "Lost". ;)

nikvoodoo
Dec 14th, 2011, 09:39 AM
Sorry. New job so I'm crankier than normal what with my brain being inundated with product knowledge and corporate policies. Sorry for being so short and cross, chrisbow.

mem
Dec 14th, 2011, 10:08 AM
No soup for you !

nikvoodoo
Dec 14th, 2011, 12:14 PM
Dammit! I really wanted the french onion today!

Kc
Dec 14th, 2011, 02:05 PM
It was his second post. Don't want him to get scared off :)

nikvoodoo
Dec 14th, 2011, 03:31 PM
I know. I'm just a tool box this week. Again, very sorry chris.

yarri
Dec 14th, 2011, 04:43 PM
I know. I'm just a tool box this week. Again, very sorry chris.

<3 you even when you're a giant ....... person.

Creem_Filling
Dec 14th, 2011, 04:53 PM
"Okay people, lets get this thread back to its original purpose." I do Nik has said this before. ;)

StPaulCameraGuy
Dec 16th, 2011, 09:32 AM
Ok, here are a few:

1. Have you guys ever "Play-tested" scenes rpg style? The scene in ch. 3 of Saul, Burt and Angel climbing down from the roof of the gunshop to the roof of the hummer made me wonder this, as it seems like a rp scenario (DnD v 3.5 style skill check: Saul and Burt make the Balance DC check and Angel doesn't, thus he falls to the ground, injuring his foot and complicating their escape.) Sometimes I feel like I can hear dice rolling behind the scenes, but that's just the kind of nerd I am...

2. Did any of the characters have a "Zombie-plan"? You describe this story as an "alternate future" and Michael and Saul refer to Zombie movie knowledge, so I assume there are/were zombie geeks in the We're Alive world. I just wonder if any of the survivors have... survived because of their pre-apocalypse preparation.

I'm pretty new to We're Alive (under a month) but I've listened through the series about 7 times, so I'll probably be back with more once the new season starts, but this is what I have so far.

Kc
Dec 16th, 2011, 11:30 AM
Ok, here are a few:

1. Have you guys ever "Play-tested" scenes rpg style? The scene in ch. 3 of Saul, Burt and Angel climbing down from the roof of the gunshop to the roof of the hummer made me wonder this, as it seems like a rp scenario (DnD v 3.5 style skill check: Saul and Burt make the Balance DC check and Angel doesn't, thus he falls to the ground, injuring his foot and complicating their escape.) Sometimes I feel like I can hear dice rolling behind the scenes, but that's just the kind of nerd I am...

2. Did any of the characters have a "Zombie-plan"? You describe this story as an "alternate future" and Michael and Saul refer to Zombie movie knowledge, so I assume there are/were zombie geeks in the We're Alive world. I just wonder if any of the survivors have... survived because of their pre-apocalypse preparation.

I'm pretty new to We're Alive (under a month) but I've listened through the series about 7 times, so I'll probably be back with more once the new season starts, but this is what I have so far.

1. No, never have thought of it that way. I just dig the hole a little deeper each time.

2. Perhaps... But well laid plans sometimes go amiss.

DLMiles
Jan 1st, 2012, 12:48 PM
Hello Mr. wayland :D

I dont post much so i would love a response. I have been a fan for a while now and i absolutley love the soundtrack, it really helps immerse the listener into the situation. What i would like to know is where can i find it? Do you plan to put out any information on it? i have looks around the forums and havent found anything about it so i would love to hear back from you on this.

Happy new year!

Kc
Jan 2nd, 2012, 08:40 AM
Hello Mr. wayland :D

I dont post much so i would love a response. I have been a fan for a while now and i absolutley love the soundtrack, it really helps immerse the listener into the situation. What i would like to know is where can i find it? Do you plan to put out any information on it? i have looks around the forums and havent found anything about it so i would love to hear back from you on this.

Happy new year!

Unfortunately we aren't able to offer the soundtrack via purchase. The music license that we operate under doesn't allow us to distribute the music separately. A lot of it is sampled and re-assembled by out editors, but is only available via the podcast.

Lusimania
Jan 2nd, 2012, 06:55 PM
I have a question, Saul and Burt while waiting on couple of people were playing a card game. It seems like Burt said Den lon and I googled that but came up with no results. What was the game actually called?

Kc
Jan 3rd, 2012, 09:15 AM
It's a nickname for a game that was taught to me, and was told it's called den long. I'm not sure that's how it's spelled considering the game was only taught to me orally. It's a variation of Tien Len.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tien_len

I love playing it, and used to be pretty good. Some of the smaller details I don't remember as much, and there 's another 2 killer three pairs in a row (like 66, 77, 88) that was added to the version I play. Not sure if Tien Len has that. It's a game of skill and not luck. You could have the worst hand and still win as long as you know how to play and can trap your opponent.

SnipesR1
Jan 4th, 2012, 02:34 AM
Hey there KC, every time i listen to WA I always find myself trying to visualize what some of the scenes look like and what some of the creatures appearance would be and those little chapter images always help a bit but i always find myself wishing for just some thing more. like chapter 25's image finally gives me an idea of just how menacing and actually huge the behemoth is, and i was wandering how do you choose what the chapters image will be and contain or is that left to the artist?
and also have you ever considered that like at the end of a series putting together a book with what you see some of these scenes just to give your listeners a better idea as to what the world looks like in your head? im not saying like a comic book but just one with large full detail images of points and places in the story for reference (so far you guys have been doing a pretty dang good job!)

If i had any artistic talents in drawing I would definitely try to create some of the scenes of what I would think things would look like but in reality it would all be crayon scribblings and stick figures lol

Kc
Jan 5th, 2012, 02:27 PM
Hey there KC, every time i listen to WA I always find myself trying to visualize what some of the scenes look like and what some of the creatures appearance would be and those little chapter images always help a bit but i always find myself wishing for just some thing more. like chapter 25's image finally gives me an idea of just how menacing and actually huge the behemoth is, and i was wandering how do you choose what the chapters image will be and contain or is that left to the artist?
and also have you ever considered that like at the end of a series putting together a book with what you see some of these scenes just to give your listeners a better idea as to what the world looks like in your head? im not saying like a comic book but just one with large full detail images of points and places in the story for reference (so far you guys have been doing a pretty dang good job!)

If i had any artistic talents in drawing I would definitely try to create some of the scenes of what I would think things would look like but in reality it would all be crayon scribblings and stick figures lol

I give the artist, Ben, a little bit of information on what I think would be the most appealing cover for the next chapter, and he asks some questions, we go back and forth, and then I get an image the morning of the podcast. He has a lot of liberty to create the cover art most of the time. On occasion there's a few that I have very specific images in mind. It would be cool to put together artwork from We're Alive afterwards as a book. I would enjoy doing that.

Litmaster
Jan 25th, 2012, 05:10 PM
Hi Kc,

I apologize if this has been asked somewhere else already, but I was curious how writing a serial like this and getting immediate feedback from fans has affected your writing. Traditionally, writers created the entire product (novel, screenplay) and sold it to publishers / producers.... and so the writer would get feedback from editors but no so much from fans informing the creation of the piece. If anything, there would be reviews and reaction, but all done after the fact.

Now, with media such as this, you get to hear all this in-depth feedback concerning Army bases, logistical operations, helicopter skids, etc... I'm amazed at how much other fans of WA are able to notice, and how detailed their findings are. So:

1. How much do you pay attention / take seriously the comments made in the Forum regarding aspects of the story?

2. Does this kind of detailed feedback inspire you or intimidate you? Is is refreshing, or a pain in the ass?

3. Do you worry about getting caught with your pants down regarding some factual inconsistency, or do you appreciate having an army of fact-checkers at your disposal?

4. Have you ever changed aspects of what you were planning due to fan feedback? Any past examples?

5. Do you feel that getting immediate fan feedback has made your writing / the story better?

Much appreciated, if you can spare a few moments.

Litmaster
Jan 29th, 2012, 02:10 PM
Sorry, Kc-- I just went back and read through this entire thread, and saw that you had already addressed my earlier questions about how/if the Forum influences your writing. So disregard... and shame on me for being a lazy-ass.

So here's some questions about script format that no one has yet asked:

SCRIPT FORMAT QUESTIONS

1. Which script format do you use? Does it resemble that of a traditional 1940's era radio play script, or more like a modern screenplay? Or something else?

2. I'm curious how you indicate / write in sound FX cues on the scripts. If I understand right, the actors do all the voice recording before the FX are dropped in, so they must be responding to various cues that they don't actually hear, but only see mentioned in the script... right?

3. To what degree do you use the script as a 'guide' for the FX you add in? You have so many sounds going on in the background, I don't see how you can possibly note all of that down in the script, so what do you do--just write the most significant sounds in the script and do the rest on intuition?

4. Any chance of posting a page or two from one of the earlier chapters so we could take a look? I find it interesting to see a bit of script and then listen to the production again to see how the actors brought it to life... anyway, think about it.

Thanks in advance for your response.

Kc
Feb 8th, 2012, 07:09 PM
Just saw these. I'll answer them when in front of the computer :)

Kc
Feb 13th, 2012, 09:37 AM
Hi Kc,

I apologize if this has been asked somewhere else already....

"1. How much do you pay attention / take seriously the comments made in the Forum regarding aspects of the story?"

I hate to say it, but very little, and with good reason. When writing chapters with the big picture in mind, it's hard for people to fully understand why something is happening when. There's a logical transition that has to take place for the events to unfold. Forest from the trees...

2. Does this kind of detailed feedback inspire you or intimidate you? Is is refreshing, or a pain in the ass?

Inspire. It takes a LOT of time and effort to write and edit this show and without feedback of people enjoying the show, it would be much more daunting. Publish Monday, sit back and enjoy reading people's feedback.

3. Do you worry about getting caught with your pants down regarding some factual inconsistency, or do you appreciate having an army of fact-checkers at your disposal?

It happens here or there, mostly with small details. The fact checking fans are often a little late sometimes since I write two chapters ahead, but I have been known to fix some things. Recently I called Liberty Park, Memorial Park. Oops. With two seasons of show already in the bank little details can sometimes be missed by me and the people who proof-read the scripts.

4. Have you ever changed aspects of what you were planning due to fan feedback? Any past examples?

The Liberty park thing is something I'll change, there was another confusing error regarding the floor number Datu was on at one event that has long since been corrected. Lizzy's eye color was changed after the role was re-cast, but the original quote from Michael was there and had to be changed. A few little things. Big aspects, no, because then I wouldn't be telling the story. It'd be someone else. It's not being stubborn, just that there's a story being told.

5. Do you feel that getting immediate fan feedback has made your writing / the story better?

Yes and no. I kind of explained that in the previous questions, but I can attest that the degree of people checking my every detail makes me have to spend more time making sure the tiny details are correct.

1. Which script format do you use? Does it resemble that of a traditional 1940's era radio play script, or more like a modern screenplay? Or something else?

I write using the screenplay format for films. Why? Because the old radio play script formats were for old radio actors, which don't exist any more. The more modern format of screenplay writing has been used by screen actors for a long time now and is a format that is widely used. Details aside, it's a much clearer format when it comes to reading for the actors. The pages are divided up more evenly amongst the lines and I feel a much more concise version of a script. Another reason, and possibly more selfish, is that I have been trained to write screenplay format. I've read scripts, revised them, and am very fast in how I can write them.

A Sample can be read here: http://www.zombiepodcast.com/forum/showthread.php?1113-New-Community-Contest-FULL-OF-AWESOME --- It's an old post but it has Chapter 1 to be able to be read in full detail.

2. I'm curious how you indicate / write in sound FX cues on the scripts. If I understand right, the actors do all the voice recording before the FX are dropped in, so they must be responding to various cues that they don't actually hear, but only see mentioned in the script... right?

I used to write in certain sound cues, and now I just write what happens and let the details of the sound design happen in the editing room. There are a few specifics that I write in, but most of the time it just explains the action of what's happening in the scene. The chapter 1 example is an early version of what I started out doing. Most of the script focuses on just what the actors say. As with any script, the descriptions of the scenes are kept to a minimum anyway. There are occasions like the Pippin death sequence that I had to use a LOT of description, but then again that was a very complex scene. When writing that scene I also kept things a mystery to anyone acting in the show as well and use terms like "The Killer" when describing the shooter.

3. To what degree do you use the script as a 'guide' for the FX you add in? You have so many sounds going on in the background, I don't see how you can possibly note all of that down in the script, so what do you do--just write the most significant sounds in the script and do the rest on intuition?

Very little is written in regarding the layers of sound Fx. Only significant ones. When editing the show, many times I don't even look at the script, because what's on the page doesn't matter to what was recorded. That way there's not such a stringent sticking to the script. Changing around lines and dropping them is easier when listening to the scene rather than a script.

4. Any chance of posting a page or two from one of the earlier chapters so we could take a look? I find it interesting to see a bit of script and then listen to the production again to see how the actors brought it to life... anyway, think about it.

Done above. Someone asked me a software question, and we use Final Draft. There are a LOT of tools in regards to formatting the script and also simple things like revision tools that make life much easier. Also, line and character calculation tools make things easier when dealing with figuring out royalties.

Grognaurd
Mar 14th, 2012, 09:21 AM
Um, If I win

We're Alive - Guest star and Character Named after you in the series

Do I have to wear a Red Shirt? "I'm alive" and I like it that way. 8-)

Kc
Mar 14th, 2012, 09:36 AM
Um, If I win

We're Alive - Guest star and Character Named after you in the series

Do I have to wear a Red Shirt? "I'm alive" and I like it that way. 8-)

That depends on who your character is. Who knows, it might be recurring... but most likely not ;)

Adventureless_Hero
Mar 20th, 2012, 02:12 PM
This may seem like a random question, but did you have a birthday in mind for Burt?

I ask because way back when he provides the combo for his safe it comes out to 56221. I was thinking he may have used his birthday as a combo like most folks, only in year/day/month format so that it would come out to 01/22/56. I know, it's a stretch, but thats what happens when these gears get to turning. :D

yoyoyoyo15
Mar 23rd, 2012, 12:57 PM
I have a question about your YouTube channel... Are you willing to create more behind the scenes videos... I dont know what it is but I really enjoy watching them

Kc
Mar 23rd, 2012, 02:37 PM
This may seem like a random question, but did you have a birthday in mind for Burt?

I ask because way back when he provides the combo for his safe it comes out to 56221. I was thinking he may have used his birthday as a combo like most folks, only in year/day/month format so that it would come out to 01/22/56. I know, it's a stretch, but thats what happens when these gears get to turning. :D

No B-day in mind or on paper. I haven't gone that in detail about each person. I think because people would then be all about astrological signs and what they mean and blah blah.

I have a question about your YouTube channel... Are you willing to create more behind the scenes videos... I dont know what it is but I really enjoy watching them

Yes! When they come up. I have one or two from an upcoming chapter. Sometimes it's hard to focus on doing video when we are honed on the audio portion.

yoyoyoyo15
Mar 24th, 2012, 04:39 AM
I have another question, I hope it hasnt been asked yet, but what is your favorite quite in the whole were alive series?

Kc
Mar 24th, 2012, 02:36 PM
I have another question, I hope it hasnt been asked yet, but what is your favorite quite in the whole were alive series?

Iksnay on the Hombre...
And then I found out it was the name of an album and got sad. I thought it was really clever.

yoyoyoyo15
Mar 24th, 2012, 06:02 PM
Iksnay on the hombre... Very clever... I'll have to add that to my repertuar (god I butchered that word... Sorry) since we are on a role Ill ask yet another question. I'm not trying to ask anything about were alive but it has to do with zombies in general. What should you do if you have a child / sibling that is from newborn to three years old... Would you just say forget it and ditch the kid and your family or would you stay with it and try your best to keep the next generation alive... Lol a question of survival or humanity... It's all on you and thank you for answering my other questions

yoyoyoyo15
Mar 25th, 2012, 06:57 AM
O and I must commend you on your awesome story telling of kalani. You somehow managed to take one of the most hated characters and turn him into a hero. Well done

TundraScout
Mar 28th, 2012, 11:08 AM

1956 was the year I was born, and I was too young for 'Nam, and the Viet Nam draft ended January '73, putting the last draftees having been born in 1955. Burt might have gotten in early by lying about this age, but I think he mentioned "In my day, the judge said jail or Army", which might indicate not. My money's on that being Shirley's birthday.

Kc
May 15th, 2012, 03:16 PM
I was asked a few questions via PM, and so I'll share it here.

Doing a podcast doesn’t seem like ‘big business’ in terms of huge financial returns, I was wondering if the crew and cast members are paid, or are they donating their time because they believe in the artistic vision of the show, or simply working on it for the sake of a credit?

All of the above. They get paid, not so much up front, but they get royalties (or will get them as I am handling all that now), they donate a lot of time because they believe in it (or at least I hope so ;), and some people may like it because it's a good experience in a field they normally don't get to do. Many of the actors don't get to play roles that they reprise over and over.

Is there a particular cast member past or present that you really love/loved directing?

Everyone is different, and I love directing everyone. I think maybe I enjoy directing certain actors because of the characters I wrote, and in that case Scratch is up there. I think a bit of my dark side goes into her.

Is there an actor/writer that you dream of collaborating with down the road, be it film, podcasts, plays, etc?

Joss Whedon. Maybe Darabont, but I liked him before Walking Dead(although I haven't seen WD). Shawshank's my fav film. Actors, haven't really thought about it. I like people who are passionate about characters they play and get into their heads. I'm not sure who does that unless I work with them directly.

When We’re Alive comes to an end, are you apt to revisit the world either in the form of a podcast or short story/novella/novel, or do you think you're likely to just be happy to have created something that people really loved?

I could, but I haven't decided if I will. I have a lot of other ideas in different genres that I want to play with. I enjoy the idea of just writing things and not having to produce them, so ultimately if I get to that place full time I'd be happy. But then again I've never wrote full time before, so there might be some drawbacks. With WA I wear so many hats that it stays interesting.

And finally, what are your top five albums of all time?

I have no idea. I don't know too many albums.

Thanks for taking a few moments out of your day to read this, and thank you so much for entertaining us all. You've really created something special.

Osiris
May 15th, 2012, 03:24 PM
Crap. Well, that killed that blog. Thanks for the answers though! :love:

VEE
May 15th, 2012, 03:26 PM
He's 6 feet 2 inches tall, British (Welsh to be precise) and is called Vee, he needs writing in as Riley's love interest.

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeaaasssssssseeeee!!

Johnnywalker
May 16th, 2012, 04:39 PM
Hi KC so I am a very new fan of the show from Germany, I have to say I listened to all of it in seven days... I have a few questions if you'll indulge me

Firstly with as many hats as you wear, has your vision for the series come across as you wanted it to or are their things that you would have changed?

Secondly I must applaud you for for your time effort and energy that you have placed into this fantastic series, were their any other series that gave you inspiration was it T.V. for example (The Original "The Survivors", "The Tripods", or the TV series The day of the Triffids") or was their another Radio show you listened to as a child?

Thirdly I understand that with this many hats on to pay for advertising would be an incredible amount, have you thought about alternative merchandise for the show to booster profits? I only say this as I would very much like the show to not only continue but to create spin offs.

I say again as a massive reader of doom fiction you really have pulled off something very special with this show and I salute you for your efforts.

Many thanks for future episodes.

P.S. any chance I can get them all at once again... :-D

zombiesurvivor
May 16th, 2012, 05:53 PM
Q: Where did you come up with the idea for a zombie series podcast?
Q: Where do you come up with some of the characters names?
Q: For someone my age what would be your advice to starting a podcast series?

Kc
May 16th, 2012, 08:58 PM
Firstly with as many hats as you wear, has your vision for the series come across as you wanted it to or are their things that you would have changed?

I wish I would know then what I know now. The whole experience of We're Alive has taught me many things about telling a story, running a business, and working with various people. So, there's lots I would change, but the one thing in particular would have been more of a bigger first episode, BUT, you have to start somewhere.

Secondly I must applaud you for for your time effort and energy that you have placed into this fantastic series, were their any other series that gave you inspiration was it T.V. for example (The Original "The Survivors", "The Tripods", or the TV series The day of the Triffids") or was their another Radio show you listened to as a child?

Um. None of those I've seen, but I was inspired by some of the story structure ideas of LOST and the way it handled a few things about the series. HOWEVER, there's a lot that I won't take from them, mainly how to handle the mysteries of the story. OH, and Harry Potter. Best series ever written. I never grew up listening to Radio shows, but I did a fair share of books on tape, and a lot of inspiration comes from there. Jim Dale is the man!

Thirdly I understand that with this many hats on to pay for advertising would be an incredible amount, have you thought about alternative merchandise for the show to booster profits? I only say this as I would very much like the show to not only continue but to create spin offs.

Oh, we have some merchandise on sale and we want to push into new territories, but the series comes first, and sometimes it's hard to manage multiple things at once. I've pushed out and expanded where I can, and with the help of some crew we are starting to take back over areas that need attention (new merchandise).

Thanks for listening! Hopefully I covered what you asked :)

Kc
May 16th, 2012, 09:03 PM

Mainly the idea for the tower as the staple of the series. The antagonists were developed next, and then out main crew. I wanted to take over TV with an original series about zombies, but guess who beat me to it? The podcast idea was a launching platform for TV, but alas, it didn't turn out that way but I'm happy where we are.

Various places. Some are direct ports of name meanings, others are historic or bilblical( but don't really have much to do with their bliblical reference), and some are complete random things. Like Skittles was the nickname I gave someone I didn't like. He was all over the place, and so we gave him that nickname so he wouldn't know we were talking about him.

Start small and work your way up. Make something short with a good finale instead of making something that might never get finished.

buzzbros2002
May 16th, 2012, 09:05 PM
1. I want to write an audio play, any advice?

2. What software do you use to write / record?

Just in case you're still taking questions. If not, that's cool too. You and Scott Sigler are reasons why I've gotten into the hobby of writing scripts for audio instead of film, so thanks for that as well.

Johnnywalker
May 17th, 2012, 10:20 AM
Thanks for listening! Hopefully I covered what you asked :)
Absolutely

Many thanks for taking the time and I am looking forward to your new store stuff. Keep up the awesomely good work. :-D

Kc
May 17th, 2012, 11:37 AM
1. I want to write an audio play, any advice?

2. What software do you use to write / record?

Just in case you're still taking questions. If not, that's cool too. You and Scott Sigler are reasons why I've gotten into the hobby of writing scripts for audio instead of film, so thanks for that as well.

1. Do it. And don't think it'll be good out the gate. I wrote thousands of pages of scripts before WA, and I'm still learning as I go. OH, and understand your characters and their motivation. Get inside their heads and know who would do what and why. And don't make any two characters exactly alike.

2. Final Draft and Pro Tools.

zombiesurvivor
May 18th, 2012, 08:52 AM

Mainly the idea for the tower as the staple of the series. The antagonists were developed next, and then out main crew. I wanted to take over TV with an original series about zombies, but guess who beat me to it? The podcast idea was a launching platform for TV, but alas, it didn't turn out that way but I'm happy where we are.

Various places. Some are direct ports of name meanings, others are historic or bilblical( but don't really have much to do with their bliblical reference), and some are complete random things. Like Skittles was the nickname I gave someone I didn't like. He was all over the place, and so we gave him that nickname so he wouldn't know we were talking about him.

Start small and work your way up. Make something short with a good finale instead of making something that might never get finished.

Thank you for answering my questions

Osiris
May 20th, 2012, 10:28 PM
Dear Kc,

After listening to The Kalani Journals I fell in love with your composer, and I'm curious to know if there are plans to release a We're Alive OST? Regardless, I'd love to see whoever composed the music for the third season receive an award. It's beautiful, truly beautiful.

sincerely,
Osiris

P.S.

Any chance I could interview your composer? I've so many questions... so... many... questions!

Kc
May 21st, 2012, 09:52 AM
You may find it surprising, but a lot of our compositions are pieces of royalty free stuff that's been specially arranged and timed. Unfortunately, with those sorts of restrictions, we won't be able to release an album unless it's original.

Osiris
May 21st, 2012, 05:05 PM
I would not have guessed that at all.

Are there any pieces that ARE original?

not_infected
Jun 28th, 2012, 06:55 AM
I'm psyched to see that you're a Harry Potter / Jim Dale fan! I listen to audiobooks incessantly, and there are three categories that are in constant use on my iPod: Harry Potter, Terry Pratchett (especially the Nigel Planer recordings), and We're Alive. I listen to all three of these daily.

AND I finally got a chance to promote We're Alive at my library. I just put up a display of zombie fiction, and attached a little sign that shows our zombie titles that are only available as ebooks or eaudiobooks. I hope this leads to more listeners -- I always promote We're Alive to horror and zombie fans that come through the library, but they're few and far between in my area, for some reason.

Travis Sutak
Jul 20th, 2012, 09:40 AM
hey KC is datu suspose to be a younger guy or older guy cause i picture as an older guy in his late 40's early 50's

Kc
Jul 20th, 2012, 09:51 AM
Age: 32 at the beginning of the Story -- He's still young, but not too old.

Travis Sutak
Jul 20th, 2012, 04:43 PM
Age: 32 at the beginning of the Story -- He's still young, but not too old.

ok thanks i guess its how his voice sounds that kind makes me think he's older

LiamKerrington
Jul 29th, 2012, 01:16 PM
Hi everyone,

no clue where else to put this question ... But this question lingers in the back of head for a while ...

Where actually do you draw the ideas from?
Edit:
In other words: What is the source of your ideas? Coming up with the zombie-theme is kind of "popular" these days; and there are many sources and references available - even back in 2008/09, when you started thinking about it and getting into it. Did you have some more specific on your mind? Or did you simply like the idea of producing a Zombie audio-show, which you created without "fair-using" other sources?
Another question came up after having read through this thread: You mentioned having done other podcasts/ audio-shows as well; would you mind linking them? Are they different from what you did and still do with "We're Alive"?
Edit ends.

I happen to see parallels to "Walking Dead" (kind of funny, since Walking Dead is somewhat younger then "We'Re Alive") and - no pun intended - "Jericho" in some weird abstract ways ...

Do you guys refer to different sources, or is all of this basically made up on your own? It is just curiosity on my side.
Regardless of the type of answer I really enjoy what I listen to ...

Best wishes!
Liam

nikvoodoo
Jul 29th, 2012, 03:14 PM
In top news there's a thread that you can directly ask kc questions of this nature. I'm going merge this with that.

LiamKerrington
Jul 30th, 2012, 12:33 AM
Hi there,

In top news there's a thread that you can directly ask kc questions of this nature. I'm going merge this with that.

Thank you very much. I didn't even think about checking the news boards for a topic like that. But thinking about it, this makes perfectly sense. And maybe my questions have been answered already. Checking this thread today ...

Edit: DONE. Having read this thread I have learned that my question about the "source of inspiration" is near the questions raised by Johnnywalker and zombiesurvivor; and yet my question aims at the very root, which is why I have edited my question to make it more precise ... Edit ends...

All the best!
Liam

Kc
Jul 30th, 2012, 10:35 AM
Hi everyone,

no clue where else to put this question ... But this question lingers in the back of head for a while ...

Where actually do you draw the ideas from?
Edit:
In other words: What is the source of your ideas? Coming up with the zombie-theme is kind of "popular" these days; and there are many sources and references available - even back in 2008/09, when you started thinking about it and getting into it. Did you have some more specific on your mind? Or did you simply like the idea of producing a Zombie audio-show, which you created without "fair-using" other sources?
Another question came up after having read through this thread: You mentioned having done other podcasts/ audio-shows as well; would you mind linking them? Are they different from what you did and still do with "We're Alive"?
Edit ends.

I happen to see parallels to "Walking Dead" (kind of funny, since Walking Dead is somewhat younger then "We'Re Alive") and - no pun intended - "Jericho" in some weird abstract ways ...

Do you guys refer to different sources, or is all of this basically made up on your own? It is just curiosity on my side.
Regardless of the type of answer I really enjoy what I listen to ...

Best wishes!
Liam

Sources or references for the zombie inspiration. Jack Snyder's dawn of the dead I would say was a great influence because I love some of the physics of the zombies in that world and the characters. Normal people survive extraordinary circumstances. Other influences might be other survival stories like The Stand. It's hard to pinpoint just one point of reference for influence, as most anything can cause inspiration. I did see Jericho, and enjoyed parts of it. I'm not sure what I could have drawn from that, but it was pretty good. But, aside from all that inspiration, the details about the hows and whys will come from the story, so I can't explain too much except that I wanted truly unique antagonists.

LiamKerrington
Jul 30th, 2012, 11:16 AM
Hi there.

Thank you, KC, for paying attention to my questions.
And it is very nice for me to learn that you treat things like sources, upon which you create your own world.
Dawn of the Dead is pretty nice; I agree with you on that one. "The Stand" I have not watched (yet).
And about "Jericho" ... I cam up with this comparison, since the situation is somewhat similar: A small group of characters is suddenly all on their own, cut off from the world they used to learn; in the beginning they need to fix things in order to "make kind of a living" - for example by taking care of basic supplies, re-organizing duties, trusting in few who are willing to take responsibility, going on "missions" or "adventures" to get more supplies etc.. And all of a sudden there appear small groups of other people who face the same apocalyptic situation and chose different means of dealing with it and who appear right in the small "home" the survivors have created on their own - with all the mishap and trouble there is ... But that's all "WA" and "Jericho" have in common; the differences between both are complex and rich in number and quality ... I just mentioned it, 'cause it struck me the first time the "Mallers" appeared ...

All the best!
Liam

Travis Sutak
Jul 31st, 2012, 11:55 AM
hey Kc do you think you'll continue with this genre of storiesor will you branch out into others and also will you update us all on the forum about new projects also I think you would also be great at writing wartime type stories but I'm not saying it's just because you've been in the military but because that your writing style is so indepth that a person could get lost in such a story.

Thank you Kc and cast for filling my mondays with suspense and joy
sincerely, avid listener travis

Kc
Jul 31st, 2012, 02:06 PM
hey Kc do you think you'll continue with this genre of storiesor will you branch out into others and also will you update us all on the forum about new projects also I think you would also be great at writing wartime type stories but I'm not saying it's just because you've been in the military but because that your writing style is so indepth that a person could get lost in such a story.

Thank you Kc and cast for filling my mondays with suspense and joy
sincerely, avid listener travis

The next story I will be telling won't be about zombies, or survival really. It's not non-fiction, and not military really. You'll just have to wait and see. And then again I won't be able to get to it for another two years.

Travis Sutak
Jul 31st, 2012, 09:07 PM
The next story I will be telling won't be about zombies, or survival really. It's not non-fiction, and not military really. You'll just have to wait and see. And then again I won't be able to get to it for another two years.

can't wait I'm sure it'll be just as good

forgottenone
Aug 4th, 2012, 09:09 PM
KC. Curious... Most of us wait with baited breath for the next episode of We're Alive to be released. Do you have something similar for yourself. (Getting married isn't what I mean either..). Do you have a favorite podcast or audio drana etc..

Osiris
Aug 4th, 2012, 09:19 PM
Bated breath. It's an abbreviation of abated, meaning restrained or lessened.

Kc
Aug 4th, 2012, 10:57 PM
KC. Curious... Most of us wait with baited breath for the next episode of We're Alive to be released. Do you have something similar for yourself. (Getting married isn't what I mean either..). Do you have a favorite podcast or audio drana etc..

Um.. when I did have time I listened to Heidi and Frank, a comedy duo in California that I've followed for a while, and How Stuff Works. I've listened to a lot of other audio dramas, but those require more commitment to listen to. Sadly, just too much time goes into making this nowadays.

Nathan.Luiz
Aug 6th, 2012, 05:34 PM
Just to check, is it confirmed that Season 3 will have 12 chapters?

Osiris
Aug 6th, 2012, 09:13 PM
Dear Kc,

Being that season 4 will be the final run... will you do more than one live event over the course of it, and if so is there any chance that one of the events will take place in Vancouver, B.C. and if not, why?

Sincerely,
This guy.

P.S. If you don't answer me in a timely fashion I will be forced to poke you on FB until you explode. :squint:

Kc
Aug 6th, 2012, 11:36 PM
Season 3 has 12 chapters. And there will most likely be only one more live event. And that will most likely be in LA. Why not B.C? $$$.

LiamKerrington
Aug 16th, 2012, 06:49 AM
Hello Kc,

looking at what is going on in some areas of this forum - the theories-section, the we're not dead section, the discussion-section for the chapters and episode - it is nice to see that conversations and opinions and wishful thinking are rich and full of interesting ideas. I wonder:

a) Do you enjoy reading stuff and the weirdo thoughts the fans of your show share?
b) Sometimes you comment on what your audience discusses; under what circumstances do you really interfere with discussions, or what purpose do your comments serve - like pushing "us" into the right direction, adding just antoher level of confusion, keep things away from becoming all too wrong...?
c) In interviews you explained that WA is thought through already; yet you write only like a handful of chapters in advance and record them accordingly. So my question would be: Do you consider ideas and thoughts being discussed on your forum - not in order to change the general plan of WA, but maybe to change things regarding details? Like - for example - adding a new conflict between certain characters, establish a new sub-plot, add another level of explanation for things having happened, changing the 'character' of certain characters on the show ... ?

All the best!
Liam

Kc
Aug 17th, 2012, 02:30 PM
Hello Kc,

looking at what is going on in some areas of this forum - the theories-section, the we're not dead section, the discussion-section for the chapters and episode - it is nice to see that conversations and opinions and wishful thinking are rich and full of interesting ideas. I wonder:

a) Do you enjoy reading stuff and the weirdo thoughts the fans of your show share?
b) Sometimes you comment on what your audience discusses; under what circumstances do you really interfere with discussions, or what purpose do your comments serve - like pushing "us" into the right direction, adding just antoher level of confusion, keep things away from becoming all too wrong...?
c) In interviews you explained that WA is thought through already; yet you write only like a handful of chapters in advance and record them accordingly. So my question would be: Do you consider ideas and thoughts being discussed on your forum - not in order to change the general plan of WA, but maybe to change things regarding details? Like - for example - adding a new conflict between certain characters, establish a new sub-plot, add another level of explanation for things having happened, changing the 'character' of certain characters on the show ... ?

All the best!
Liam

A) Yes. I read most everything from good reviews to the bad ones. It gives me a good gauge of what information is being received and what things are not as clear as I want or don't want them to be.

B) I only interfere if I feel that there deserves to be a comment. For instance, when one listener thought that the characters were possibly portraying homosexuality and being derogatory towards women. I had to set the record straight on that one. Other instances might just be to clarify something that already happened. Like recently I made a comment about Saul knowing something. Some things I like leaving up to interpretation, others not. It all depends.

C) I don't really consider ideas from the forum. Some ideas are coincidences, but that can't be avoided. I have been known to adapt a few details to make things clearer based on people's reactions, but those usually involve describing something a bit more in detail.

LiamKerrington
Aug 19th, 2012, 02:05 PM
Hi Kc,

thank you very much for giving us some insight into the questions I raised.

Best wishes!
Liam

Loyal Retainer
Aug 23rd, 2012, 12:35 AM
Kc,

Could we please get a sitrep from Ft. Irwin in the next chapter? I need to know what's going on with Michael and the rest of the gang. Please, please, please!

LiamKerrington
Aug 28th, 2012, 12:06 AM
Hi Kc,

your wrote this:

The place will remain open as there will most likely be other ventures in We're Alive and other stories and this place will remain the hub
here:
http://www.zombiepodcast.com/forum/showthread.php?3484-Contingency-Plan-v-End-Of-We-re-Alive&p=46650&viewfull=1#post46650

I highlighted the part I am interested in.
With "other ventures in We're Alive" - do you mean things you have on your mind, fan-made stuff or both?

All the best!
Liam

Kc
Aug 28th, 2012, 08:43 AM
Kc,

Could we please get a sitrep from Ft. Irwin in the next chapter? I need to know what's going on with Michael and the rest of the gang. Please, please, please!

I have things paced out for a certain order. You'll see...

Hi Kc,

your wrote this:

here:
http://www.zombiepodcast.com/forum/showthread.php?3484-Contingency-Plan-v-End-Of-We-re-Alive&p=46650&viewfull=1#post46650

I highlighted the part I am interested in.
With "other ventures in We're Alive" - do you mean things you have on your mind, fan-made stuff or both?

All the best!
Liam

Oh, there could be other WA content in the future possibly, like any book or TV adaptations. I also have another series or story that I've been sitting on for a while. I'm not sure what medium that will be, but that's been on the backburner for a long time.

And there is the possibility, although who knows, that there could be other spinoff stories in the world of We're Alive. BUT, that's to remain seen. Focusing on the main story line for now.

LiamKerrington
Aug 28th, 2012, 09:03 AM
Thank you, Kc.
Did you think about troubling the idea for some kind of an pen& paper rpg?
But sure, WA as it is right now, is the primary objective - and should be. ;)

Kc
Aug 28th, 2012, 09:16 AM
Pen and paper RPG. There's another company that's doing that, friends of ours Outbreak Undead. We'll leave that to them :)

LiamKerrington
Aug 28th, 2012, 09:26 AM
Hi.

For Clarification:
This RPG:

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/88762/Outbreak%3A-Undead?manufacturers_id=3439

?

And did you play it, if you are in for p&p rpg?

All the best!
Liam

Robzombie
Sep 3rd, 2012, 08:51 PM
KC, what you have is a really great story, and frankly a story that if were in print would be better than a lot of what is available in the zombie genre. I can understand that perhaps you don't have the time or inclination to write a novel based on your script, but have you considered finding another writer that could fill in the story for novel format? And while I got you reading, a personal thanks for We're Alive.

Kc
Sep 4th, 2012, 04:57 PM
Hi.

For Clarification:
This RPG:

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/88762/Outbreak%3A-Undead?manufacturers_id=3439

?

And did you play it, if you are in for p&p rpg?

All the best!
Liam
Never played it... No time :(

KC, what you have is a really great story, and frankly a story that if were in print would be better than a lot of what is available in the zombie genre. I can understand that perhaps you don't have the time or inclination to write a novel based on your script, but have you considered finding another writer that could fill in the story for novel format? And while I got you reading, a personal thanks for We're Alive.

Possibly... But I would have to play a role in it's formation for details.

Witch_Doctor
Sep 5th, 2012, 11:43 AM
I absolutely love this story, the story telling, attention to detail and production. There are so many story telling elements mixed together; mystery, horror, survival, military, non linear time, tribal conflict etc...
You could create a very good story in any genre using any mixture of elements that you've used in We're Alive. My question is, on what genres are you interested or plan to work? Sci-fi, Mobster/Crime/Heist, Romance, Drama, Intrigue, Feel Good, Comedy, Military...?

Also, is there an optimum EQ setting for listenning to the podcast?

Thanks A LOT!!!

awkwardalex
Sep 5th, 2012, 12:17 PM
If you've answered this, sorry!

On the AMA you said that each of your characters have something of you in them, even Scratch.
Can you tell us what you have in common with Scratch?

Kc
Sep 5th, 2012, 12:36 PM
I absolutely love this story, the story telling, attention to detail and production. There are so many story telling elements mixed together; mystery, horror, survival, military, non linear time, tribal conflict etc...
You could create a very good story in any genre using any mixture of elements that you've used in We're Alive. My question is, on what genres are you interested or plan to work? Sci-fi, Mobster/Crime/Heist, Romance, Drama, Intrigue, Feel Good, Comedy, Military...?

Also, is there an optimum EQ setting for listenning to the podcast?

Thanks A LOT!!!

EQ setting? Naw. Just what it should be raw and not adjusted. I mix on my KRK's at certain DB, so what I get there isn't adjusted.

Other genres? I like to play in the area of fiction, but still dance in the shadow of science. If other words, sci-fi that can be true, if only given the perfect conditions.

And I have others that are just not even close to that. But those are more weird abstract stories that aren't so much stories as just fragments.

Kc
Sep 5th, 2012, 12:39 PM
If you've answered this, sorry!

On the AMA you said that each of your characters have something of you in them, even Scratch.
Can you tell us what you have in common with Scratch?

All of us have dark sides that have certain checks and balances. Scratch is that check removed that I tend to empty a lot of raw rationalized anger. There's a lot of subtext behind some of the things she says. And of course, only a fraction of that is myself. There's a lot that is Scratch, herself.

yarri
Sep 5th, 2012, 01:24 PM
All of us have dark sides that have certain checks and balances. Scratch is that check removed that I tend to empty a lot of raw rationalized anger. There's a lot of subtext behind some of the things she says. And of course, only a fraction of that is myself. There's a lot that is Scratch, herself.

I'm finding my self very drawn to her pain and rage. Maybe not her expression of it but I feel that she is so identifiable and everyone of us secretly wants to do to the people that piss us off what scratch does to hers

LiamKerrington
Sep 5th, 2012, 01:51 PM
On facebook you have an interesting picture about Burt and Scratch. Is this a foretelling ... ?

Kc
Sep 5th, 2012, 02:08 PM
On facebook you have an interesting picture about Burt and Scratch. Is this a foretelling ... ?

No. The photoshoot didn't really have anything to do with the storyline, but we do some "re-enactments" for promo purposes.

LiamKerrington
Sep 5th, 2012, 02:09 PM
Thank you. I like that. The picture is kind of ... threatening ... and very well done.

Robzombie
Sep 7th, 2012, 09:24 PM
Ya know KC if you dont make something more out of WA that you're going to have a lot of people pissed at you. We've(I) have become so engrossed with the story, the characters, and the absolutely marvelous people that we know as the voices of those characters that for one, is going to be difficult to say good bye to when the story comes to an end, and two, is going to be very hard to see done without those same voices we have been hearing for a few years now. I have in my head every inflection and tonal character in my mind with this story that to hear anyone else repeat those same lines would just not be right. So a huge shout out to you for finding the right folks and for every player in this story for doing such a professional job.
My question i suppose is this, which may not be so much of a question....by the time this story has come to an end, you better follow up with something congruent or stand alone i dont care, just dont leave us hanging okay? I have a question mark there so its a question. Much love and thanks.

LostKhance
Sep 14th, 2012, 12:51 PM
I'm sorry this is my first post and I haven't read many of the threads but I have searched and this hasn't been mentioned as far as I can tell. Have you (KC) given any thought to attending the Long Beach Comic and Horror Con? (http://www.longbeachcomiccon.com/) in any capacity? I'm currently all caught up with all of the series and catching up quickly on We're Not Dead. As you can guess I'm loving the series. Thanks.

Kc
Sep 14th, 2012, 04:40 PM
I'm sorry this is my first post and I haven't read many of the threads but I have searched and this hasn't been mentioned as far as I can tell. Have you (KC) given any thought to attending the Long Beach Comic and Horror Con? (http://www.longbeachcomiccon.com/) in any capacity? I'm currently all caught up with all of the series and catching up quickly on We're Not Dead. As you can guess I'm loving the series. Thanks.

I actually have not considered the Long Beach Comic and Horror con. Hmmm... It's probably too late to actually have a panel or something. Unless you know someone?

Lilydragon
Sep 14th, 2012, 05:31 PM
I actually have not considered the Long Beach Comic and Horror con. Hmmm... It's probably too late to actually have a panel or something. Unless you know someone?

Albuquerque has their own small comic con if you ever wanted to look into it. It started about two years ago and is held in June. Here's the address: http://www.nmtricon.com/. It's still pretty small potatoes...O_o

LostKhance
Sep 15th, 2012, 02:14 AM
I'll contact someone I know at the Con. I'll let you know if I get any information that'll be helpful.

LostKhance
Sep 15th, 2012, 01:58 PM
I talked to my contact at LBCHC, he says there's still time to set something up and was curious what you had in mind. If you'd like I can forward him some info on the podcast and the #WAlive videos from NerdMelt. Feel free to PM or just keep in contact via this thread. Hope this helps.

Litmaster
Oct 9th, 2012, 02:05 PM
Ok, Kc: I didn't get this one off in time for the WND show, but I was hoping you could carve out 5 min from your abundant free time and answer this when you get a chance.

Thankyouverrymush....

Ok, a question about the locations on the show:
The old saw is for a writer to 'write what you know', so it makes sense that the series is based in LA, where you (Kc) live. Also the Irwin location is most probably because you were stationed there in the Army. So why Boulder?

Also, how to do go about researching the various locations where events happen in the story? Is that all online research, or are these places you've had experiences in the past? Do you ever go on location to scout out ideas for the setting?

Kc
Oct 9th, 2012, 03:05 PM
Ok, Kc: I didn't get this one off in time for the WND show, but I was hoping you could carve out 5 min from your abundant free time and answer this when you get a chance.

Thankyouverrymush....

Ok, a question about the locations on the show:
The old saw is for a writer to 'write what you know', so it makes sense that the series is based in LA, where you (Kc) live. Also the Irwin location is most probably because you were stationed there in the Army. So why Boulder?

Also, how to do go about researching the various locations where events happen in the story? Is that all online research, or are these places you've had experiences in the past? Do you ever go on location to scout out ideas for the setting?

Well, I live in Orange County, I just know enough about LA and do a lot of research. Was never stationed in Irwin, but I had training there. Boulder... haven't been there, but there were a few logistical and geographical advantages that fit what I wanted. What I needed to know about it I could get from the internet. A large portion of the season didn't take place there like Irwin, so I didn't really need to go there.

How do I go about researching them? The internet, and many locations I visit. I've been to Dunbar towers (or at least the real version of them, and even for this season I went to Fort Irwin for the day: http://www.zombiepodcast.com/gallery/fort-irwin-research/

UndeadSweeper
Oct 10th, 2012, 02:09 PM
Hi KC, can we get an audiobook of Burt's book as well, preferably read by Burt ;-)

Kc
Oct 10th, 2012, 02:50 PM
Hi KC, can we get an audiobook of Burt's book as well, preferably read by Burt ;-)

Possibly...

Witch_Doctor
Oct 11th, 2012, 12:02 AM
Hi there,

I'm a proponent of scientific literacy and I really appreciate your effort to create a great story that isn't riddled with ACME scientific buffoonery. Two of my favorite scenes are when Michael calls B.S. on the claim of the zombies' 6th sense and Tanya's explanation that #2 needs the same requirements for life as all creatures in order for her body to function.

Do you have background or education in a scientific field? I believe I read a post in which you mentioned an engineering class.

Do/did you extensively research branches of science for this show or for personal interests?

In general, how much scientific detail do you like incorporate into this or any story line? Do you prefer using it as an element within a story, such as war is used in Casablanca and Gone with the Wind? Or more heavily involved like paleontology and genetics in Jurassic Park?

Kc
Oct 11th, 2012, 08:44 AM
Hi there,

I'm a proponent of scientific literacy and I really appreciate your effort to create a great story that isn't riddled with ACME scientific buffoonery. Two of my favorite scenes are when Michael calls B.S. on the claim of the zombies' 6th sense and Tanya's explanation that #2 needs the same requirements for life as all creatures in order for her body to function.

Do you have background or education in a scientific field? I believe I read a post in which you mentioned an engineering class.

Do/did you extensively research branches of science for this show or for personal interests?

In general, how much scientific detail do you like incorporate into this or any story line? Do you prefer using it as an element within a story, such as war is used in Casablanca and Gone with the Wind? Or more heavily involved like paleontology and genetics in Jurassic Park?

My engineering certification is all in the electronic/broadcast field, but I was also trained in combat lifesaving. I also have some very a few friends; one's a biologist another a mathematician, and my dad was a paramedic for over 30 years. I read a lot of science articles, but I also have people to ask questions to.

A little of both. For science!

I think a fair amount, but it must be kept balanced; otherwise it would become distracting or daunting. Also, the devil is in the details. If I start to describe chemical reactions in theories, it would all go to hell. It's a work of fiction after all, but still rooted in science.

Adventureless_Hero
Oct 11th, 2012, 11:07 AM
I'm reading The Tender Bar, the memoirs of JR Moehringer, and thoughout his life he was often asked what JR stood for. It was a touchy subject that he preferred not to get asked.

So what does KC stand for?

I kid. You should totally leave it a mystery. I prefer to think it stands for Killer Clown, but that you are not from outter space and so feel angered at your brethren who shuttle between the stars and wrap victims in cotton candy, and shoot flesh eating popcorn, and seek their victims with balloon blood hounds. So in your spare time, because you have SOOOO MUCH SPARE TIME, you hunt Killer Clowns from outter space that have invaded our planet. You are a Killer Clown from Earth who hunts his evil brethren. A day-walker of sorts, only your monicker would be Earth-born. So I wish you luck in your quest, KC Wayland! May the KC remain a mystery...wink!

*sorry, all I've had all day is a cup of tea and two gummy bears. I'm all whacked out on sugar.

Litmaster
Oct 13th, 2012, 06:20 PM
Ok, one more quick one, Kc:

I've heard from the actors that you only tell them as much of the plot as they need to know in order to be authenic in their roles.

But what about Grayson? How much of the story is he privvy to???

(I ask because you said on 'We're Not Dead' that you have a 'brick wall' concerning plot points, even after many drinks, so I'm trying to find a backdoor by possibly feeding him a shitload of tequila shots until he spills all the beans... ! :D )

YetAnotherBloodyCheek
Oct 14th, 2012, 09:36 AM
Ok, my turn.

Mr Wayland, in your opinion, what is more difficult to accomplish: writing/recording a moody/atmospheric/explicit gory scene or writing/recording a romantic/erotic/intimate scene for WA/in general?

Additional question: Do you have enough creativity to even imagine a possible love interest for Scratch? Or is she done with it due to what her cousin did to her?

Kc
Oct 15th, 2012, 09:20 AM
I'm reading The Tender Bar, the memoirs of JR Moehringer, and thoughout his life he was often asked what JR stood for. It was a touchy subject that he preferred not to get asked.
So what does KC stand for?

Well, it's complicated, but my name is officially "Casey" on paper; however my name was given to me after my mother's initials. So the K came from Kathy, and C from her maiden name.

I prefer using Kc obviously and have gone by it since early high school. I did a bit of theater and I liked how it looked on paper and people never seemed to forget my name when it's just two letters.

Kc
Oct 15th, 2012, 09:23 AM
Ok, one more quick one, Kc:

I've heard from the actors that you only tell them as much of the plot as they need to know in order to be authenic in their roles.

But what about Grayson? How much of the story is he privvy to???

(I ask because you said on 'We're Not Dead' that you have a 'brick wall' concerning plot points, even after many drinks, so I'm trying to find a backdoor by possibly feeding him a shitload of tequila shots until he spills all the beans... ! :D )

He knows a fair amount and sits in on the writer's meetings where I go over the upcoming stuff and talk about any potential story problems. So, it's fair to say he knows a good amount, and definitely knows the ending. SO, what I'm saying is... don't try to get him drunk... ;)

Kc
Oct 15th, 2012, 09:28 AM
Ok, my turn.

Mr Wayland, in your opinion, what is more difficult to accomplish: writing/recording a moody/atmospheric/explicit gory scene or writing/recording a romantic/erotic/intimate scene for WA/in general?

Additional question: Do you have enough creativity to even imagine a possible love interest for Scratch? Or is she done with it due to what her cousin did to her?

Romantic, by far! It's SOOOO hard not to make those not sound cheesy. In part, I have to not only have to write the scene very carefully, but also direct it so that it comes out genuine instead of not. There's a lot of points of failure with those. Suspense, mood; that's all easy stuff.

Enough creativity for a love interest for Scratch? That sounds like a challenge! But seriously, I think that would distract from any of her current motivations. She comes accross as more of an asexual person in the current time of the story.

Lilydragon
Oct 15th, 2012, 08:52 PM
Ok, I have a question... Don't know if it could be considered too personal. I noticed in season one Jeramy Wayland sponsored the show and I recently heard Danny Wayland mentioned, can't remember if it was as a sponsor or a member of the team. And then there is KT Wayland mentioned in the credits, and you the creator and writer... So is everyone family or is it coincidence? O_o

Kc
Oct 16th, 2012, 01:34 PM
Ok, I have a question... Don't know if it could be considered too personal. I noticed in season one Jeramy Wayland sponsored the show and I recently heard Danny Wayland mentioned, can't remember if it was as a sponsor or a member of the team. And then there is KT Wayland mentioned in the credits, and you the creator and writer... So is everyone family or is it coincidence? O_o

Jeremy is the eldest brother, he helped sponsor some of the early episodes
Danny is the 2nd Born, he helps script-supervise on set
I'm the Third Born,
and Katie is my adopted younger sister, who helped do some of the music in the beginning.

My Dad was an old paramedic who I sometimes use for medical advice.

So, yes, I tend to drag my family into things.

Wicked Sid
Oct 16th, 2012, 05:19 PM
Hey Mr. Kc! I have something that I really need to know and it is of utmost importance that I receive an answer within at allotted time period, but also at your earliest convenience.

What's your favourite Mexican dish?

Lilydragon
Oct 16th, 2012, 06:59 PM
Jeremy is the eldest brother, he helped sponsor some of the early episodes
Danny is the 2nd Born, he helps script-supervise on set
I'm the Third Born,
and Katie is my adopted younger sister, who helped do some of the music in the beginning.

My Dad was an old paramedic who I sometimes use for medical advice.

So, yes, I tend to drag my family into things.

That's awesome that you are so close to your family. :D

Kc
Oct 17th, 2012, 12:05 AM
Hey Mr. Kc! I have something that I really need to know and it is of utmost importance that I receive an answer within at allotted time period, but also at your earliest convenience.

What's your favourite Mexican dish?
Ultimate chimichunga, extra sour cream.

YetAnotherBloodyCheek
Oct 17th, 2012, 08:11 AM
Romantic, by far! It's SOOOO hard not to make those not sound cheesy. In part, I have to not only have to write the scene very carefully, but also direct it so that it comes out genuine instead of not. There's a lot of points of failure with those. Suspense, mood; that's all easy stuff.

Enough creativity for a love interest for Scratch? That sounds like a challenge! But seriously, I think that would distract from any of her current motivations. She comes accross as more of an asexual person in the current time of the story.

So, regarding Scratch's proficiency with her knife and her current asexuality, he reminds me a lot of Lady MacBeth.

Act I, Scene 5.

LADY MACBETH "Give him tending;
He brings great news.
Exit Messenger.
The raven himself is hoarse
That croaks the fatal entrance of Duncan
Under my battlements. Come, you spirits
That tend on mortal thoughts, unsex me here,
And fill me from the crown to the toe top-full
Of direst cruelty! make thick my blood;
Stop up the access and passage to remorse,
That no compunctious visitings of nature
Shake my fell purpose, nor keep peace between
The effect and it! Come to my woman's breasts,
And take my milk for gall, you murdering ministers,
Wherever in your sightless substances
You wait on nature's mischief! Come, thick night,
And pall thee in the dunnest smoke of hell,
That my keen knife see not the wound it makes,
Nor heaven peep through the blanket of the dark,
To cry 'Hold, hold!'
Enter MACBETH.
Great Glamis! worthy Cawdor!
Greater than both, by the all-hail hereafter!
Thy letters have transported me beyond
This ignorant present, and I feel now
The future in the instant."

At least, my English class was not in vain.