PDA

View Full Version : Where Have All The Zombies Gone?

Eviebae
Mar 23rd, 2011, 12:05 PM
Considering that the zombies are attracted to sound, it seems odd that the only ones attracted by her shot were the mallers. It seems like more and more time is going by without seeing any zombies, wonder why?

Teethingbiscuit
Mar 23rd, 2011, 12:09 PM
Ahh, damn why would you say that? quick Knock on wood. or don't, they are part of the story of survival.
Teeth

chiefspider
Mar 23rd, 2011, 12:52 PM
well, my theory is their starving. remember when pegs and michel was on the yacht? the first zombie looked like it was dying and michel said its because theirs nothing left for them to eat - and the only zombies seen eating eachother where the behemoth, also when michel,pegs,and kelly first met victor they hid in the makeshift area under the shed. and waited for a hoard of zombies to run past? perhaps they are moving from area to area based on food supply :O

WestonWisdom
Mar 23rd, 2011, 02:18 PM
well, my theory is their starving. remember when pegs and michel was on the yacht? the first zombie looked like it was dying and michel said its because theirs nothing left for them to eat - and the only zombies seen eating eachother where the behemoth, also when michel,pegs,and kelly first met victor they hid in the makeshift area under the shed. and waited for a hoard of zombies to run past? perhaps they are moving from area to area based on food supply :O

Didn't skittles mention that they will eat anything? Even each other? The massive pile of zombies in the arena might just be stocking up for the cold winter.

Eviebae
Mar 23rd, 2011, 04:02 PM
Didn't skittles mention that they will eat anything? Even each other? The massive pile of zombies in the arena might just be stocking up for the cold winter.

Isn't it odd that they keep their piles separate? I mean why? I seem to remember that the zombie bodies were kept outside. Maybe an us vs them mentality? Why do they do it? Why are the ocean zombies clearly starving rather than turning on each other and getting a good meal?

WestonWisdom
Mar 23rd, 2011, 06:47 PM
Isn't it odd that they keep their piles separate? I mean why? I seem to remember that the zombie bodies were kept outside. Maybe an us vs them mentality? Why do they do it? Why are the ocean zombies clearly starving rather than turning on each other and getting a good meal?

I always got the impression that the Ocean Zombies(The Wet Ones?) weren't starving, just being battered by the current constantly.

chiefspider
Mar 23rd, 2011, 07:18 PM
well i might be wrong on this, but i thought skiddles said the behemoths ate each other - not the regulers. again i could be wrong.

thats true i hadnt thought of that, what i initianly thought when they first figured out the zombies where collecting the dead, was that they where reanimating them. but its true there was a huge pile of re-dead zombies. perhaps thats what the behemoths are made of? i mean if my theory is correct and the behemoths are the only ones eating eachother then it sounds likely to me. but ima have to re-listen to that chapter to find out. i dunno just putin it out there :D

MrScott101
Mar 23rd, 2011, 08:26 PM
I figure the separate piles was more of a class system with the zombie population, aka behemoths get the human meat whereas lower down the pole they get the zombie meat. As far as the lack of zombies I'd agree that they are starving and starting to die off as well as moving out to where the food is. If they have more of an animal instinct the migration to food supply makes sense.

nikvoodoo
Mar 23rd, 2011, 08:35 PM
I think you guys are thinking really far into the two piles. The pile outside was "picked clean" according to Riley....or Angel...one of the two. The pile inside was still full of flesh the zombies were eating.

Perhaps the simplest explanation is the best: The pile outside is refuse. The pile inside was food.

Eviebae
Mar 23rd, 2011, 09:40 PM
Perhaps the simplest explanation is the best: The pile outside is refuse. The pile inside was food.

Thanks Nik, that makes sense. Another great theory shot...:o...

One thing though, I thought the other zombies ran when the behemoths came near--that makes it seem like the behemoths ate the littler ones--wonder if they do eat other behemoths?

Do you think the behemoth on the ground at the army post was dying or something else? If dying, was it starvation?

nikvoodoo
Mar 23rd, 2011, 09:56 PM
Thanks Nik, that makes sense. Another great theory shot...:o...

One thing though, I thought the other zombies ran when the behemoths came near--that makes it seem like the behemoths ate the littler ones--wonder if they do eat other behemoths?

Do you think the behemoth on the ground at the army post was dying or something else? If dying, was it starvation?

This is a point I brought up elsewhere on the forum, and I can't remember where. There's behemoth(s) inside the arena. So one of a number of things happened to allow that to occur. 1. Kc slipped up (not likely because he brought Arrowhead back shortly after). 2. The Zombies (presumed to be Smart Ones) in the Arena can control or appease a behemoth in some manner that makes them able to coexist. 3. Skittles might not have all his information correct, or hasn't seen a behemoth interact with smart ones before.

I'm sure the behemoths eat whatever they can lay hands onto. If you are that large, the amount of sustenance needed to keep you going would be rather large. The one being pecked at by the bird could have been dying of starvation, it could have knocked itself out chasing the two little ones in the warehouse, it also could have just gorged itself on MRE's and was taking a nap. Hard to say because it was obviously still alive and had to be put down by Kalani and there's not enough information about any of the Zombie varieties to know exactly what was going on with that particular behemoth.

Eviebae
Mar 24th, 2011, 05:30 AM
TThere's behemoth(s) inside the arena. So one of a number of things happened to allow that to occur. 1. Kc slipped up (not likely because he brought Arrowhead back shortly after). 2. The Zombies (presumed to be Smart Ones) in the Arena can control or appease a behemoth in some manner that makes them able to coexist.

I noticed that too. I figured it was #2, but wondered. I guess it must be the huge pile of icky grub.

chiefspider
Mar 24th, 2011, 10:03 AM
hmm i forgot the behemoths were in the arena as well, an i agree with evie if the smart ones can control the behemoths to a point, they probably use the piles of rotting flesh to feed them.

ObamaCat
Mar 25th, 2011, 12:39 AM
The Mallers may have not been the only ones who heard Lizzy's gun shot. For all we know there could be a group of zombies waiting patiently outside to chow down on some human.

VeritableHero
Mar 25th, 2011, 05:01 AM
I always got the impression that the Ocean Zombies(The Wet Ones?) weren't starving, just being battered by the current constantly.Not according to Michael & Pegs. They indicated that the "wet ones" (love the name) were in fact starving or at least wasting away.

My thoughts are similar to others: the zombies are running low on local food. They will have to travel further and further from the source of infection to find any food.

Side note: I read the thread of this title to the tune of "Where Have All the Cowboys Gone" by Paula Cole.

mem
Mar 25th, 2011, 07:02 AM
I wondered about the migration and would all of them go off in search of food. Some of my theories have to be changed around abit thanks to KC's writing and the inclusion of the zombie pack and hierarchy. The fact that the zombies make planned thought out hits still gives me the shudders. Maybe we are seeing the quiet before the storm ?

Go way back to when the guys rescued Burt at his gun store and they saw the undead just standing there like they were asleep. Hate to steal theories from another series but maybe since the food supply has gone way down there are hoards of undead just standing around in one spot wating for a scent or noise to get them back moving towards a food supply. The pack mentality would have them all in one spot. I really hope no one stumbles upon that one spot and sets off a nasty chain reaction of ravenous dead getting back to business.

My other thought is that maybe the Zombies are off negotiating their wages at the annual Undead Eaters of Human Flesh meeting. (local UEHF #123 represent !)

Eviebae
Mar 25th, 2011, 11:53 AM
Side note: I read the thread of this title to the tune of "Where Have All the Cowboys Gone" by Paula Cole.

I meant to do that! :D

Oh wait, no I didn't. I heard "Where Have All The Flowers Gone" in my head.

Rossyuk
Oct 11th, 2011, 10:35 AM
I only found out about the podcast in the last couple of weeks and love it!

What I don't understand is that LA has a population circa 3.8m, but I get the impression that the zombies appear in relatively small numbers. I would have thought wandering zombies in ones, twos etc would be quite plentiful with larger packs roaming around as well.

Or am I missing something here?

nikvoodoo
Oct 11th, 2011, 10:48 AM
I only found out about the podcast in the last couple of weeks and love it!

What I don't understand is that LA has a population circa 3.8m, but I get the impression that the zombies appear in relatively small numbers. I would have thought wandering zombies in ones, twos etc would be quite plentiful with larger packs roaming around as well.

Or am I missing something here?

What I think you have to consider is that despite the near 4 million people in L.A. at any given time, how many of those turn vs. how many of those get eaten. Not every person who encounters a zombie gets turned.

And we've also seen lots of evidence of a new society of sorts forming with the zombies (Arena/Hospital). So you might not see those numbers you were expecting because the zombies are doing things similar to the survivors: Small parties go out and scavenge for what they can find, and then return home.

Rossyuk
Oct 11th, 2011, 12:14 PM
What I think you have to consider is that despite the near 4 million people in L.A. at any given time, how many of those turn vs. how many of those get eaten. Not every person who encounters a zombie gets turned.

And we've also seen lots of evidence of a new society of sorts forming with the zombies (Arena/Hospital). So you might not see those numbers you were expecting because the zombies are doing things similar to the survivors: Small parties go out and scavenge for what they can find, and then return home.

Yeah, but even so I would still expect 1000's drawn to sounds, smell. JL Bournes books give a good feel for the numbers. Nevertheless I like the fact there are still lots of unanswered questions and scope to develop further.

7oddisdead
Oct 14th, 2011, 12:33 AM
I think what Nik is getting at is...not all the zoms are out roaming around search for sustenance...clearly from the scene within the arena where angel and riley were hiding within the pile of corpses...the "nest" (arena/hospital) is well stocked with food for those who are not out on scavanging missions. I've been saying this for a while now..but if you look at the behavior of the zombies within the arena/hospital community, their behavior is strikingly similar to that of an ants nest...even down to the stacking and placement of their own dead outside their home...if this is the case, then you certainly wouldnt see huge numbers roaming about searching for food

werewolf
Oct 14th, 2011, 06:02 PM
after re-listening to the whole thing again. something had come to mind, it sounds like the zombies are evolving. think about it in the beginning they where mindless eating machines. Then later they have become more specialized. In the end when Michael went to get Tanya back. One of the zombies(Randy)was holding the others back from getting at her. Maybe, the reason why Michael didn't write down what had happen when he broke his arm in his log book was that the Randy zombie was the one that treated his wound. The zombie Randy changed his whole perspective on the zombies themselves.
maybe i have rehashed somebody else theory

nikvoodoo
Oct 14th, 2011, 06:30 PM
after re-listening to the whole thing again. something had come to mind, it sounds like the zombies are evolving. think about it in the beginning they where mindless eating machines. Then later they have become more specialized. In the end when Michael went to get Tanya back. One of the zombies(Randy)was holding the others back from getting at her. Maybe, the reason why Michael didn't write down what had happen when he broke his arm in his log book was that the Randy zombie was the one that treated his wound. The zombie Randy changed his whole perspective on the zombies themselves.
maybe i have rehashed somebody else theory

I think the Randy/Michael/Tanya scenario went down differently than you're describing it here. What I got from it was the zombies were circling around Randy to protect him and his newly captured prey. Besides, if Randy was the one who treated Michael's wound (while in zombie form) why would Michael try to kill him? If Randy was reasonable enough as a zombie to try to cure Michael's broken arm, he should be able to be talked to.

While we accept the zombies are capable of reasoning (See: It's Paul) I think it's way too far to reach that Randy would be of any assistance to Michael as a zombie.....except to relieve him of a few pounds of flesh.