PDA

View Full Version : zombie smell factor

yarri
Mar 19th, 2011, 11:35 AM
Ok its been established that zombies track by smell. We have seen Victor break perfume to block the scent of human . My question is what do you think would work better?

Onslaught
Mar 19th, 2011, 11:54 AM
Axe, or manure, they both smell the same.

Although I would prefer to put on the Axe.

nikvoodoo
Mar 19th, 2011, 11:58 AM
Axe, or manure, they both smell the same.

Although I would prefer to put on the Axe.

And if you had an axe spray, and a lighter, it could quickly turn into a weapon. Huzzah aerosol flame throwers!

Onslaught
Mar 19th, 2011, 12:04 PM
And if you had an axe spray, and a lighter, it could quickly turn into a weapon. Huzzah aerosol flame throwers!
Yes and when you sprayed the zombies with your flame thrower the flames would jump onto your Axe covered body and light you on fire as you rolled on the ground screaming in pain from the fire and the mindless brain munchers tearing you apart.

yarri
Mar 19th, 2011, 12:13 PM
Ok I was thinking bleach but I like your ideas ROTFLAO

nikvoodoo
Mar 19th, 2011, 12:14 PM
Yes and when you sprayed the zombies with your flame thrower the flames would jump onto your Axe covered body and light you on fire as you rolled on the ground screaming in pain from the fire and the mindless brain munchers tearing you apart.

at least you'd be kind enough to cook their food for them.

I think the probability of the flames jumping is relatively small. I may or may not know this from experience with axe spray and an open flame.

yarri
Mar 19th, 2011, 12:21 PM
I question the use of perfume because of the latest fragrances tend to be food scented.. We know they will eat everything. I can't see breaking a bottle of Cotton Candy or Cupcake or melon and strawberry as a really awesome deterrent to zombie sweat tracking.

Eviebae
Mar 19th, 2011, 12:21 PM
Ok its been established that zombies track by smell. We have seen Victor break perfume to block the scent of human . My question is what do you think would work better?

If you were sure perfume worked (and avoided the ones that are supposed to have human pheromones in them or musk :p), you could guess that perfumes work by overwhelming their sense of smell. One zombie smelled a girl hiding in a closet so it must be a very amped ability.

Like the flares destroying the ability of the Guardtower Guards to see the fleeing people--you could work on overwhelming or confusing their abilities. Either that or you could try to completely take out their sense of smell with something that affects it chemically or physically. Cayenne pepper? Bleach? Ammonia? Talc? Garlic? Particulate smoke? The ideal would be something that only bothers them and not the humans. The iternets say Zicam can kill your sense of smell temporarily, but I'm thinking it might be difficult to get close enough to administer it. :p:p

Right now they are a little Borg-like, sorta invincible. I'm hoping for a big achilles heel. Maybe they need to experiment.

yarri
Mar 19th, 2011, 12:42 PM
If you were sure perfume worked (and avoided the ones that are supposed to have human pheromones in them or musk :p), you could guess that perfumes work by overwhelming their sense of smell. One zombie smelled a girl hiding in a closet so it must be a very amped ability.

[snip]
Right now they are a little Borg-like, sorta invincible. I'm hoping for a big achilles heel. Maybe they need to experiment.

pepper spray oh awesome.. I agree they need to experiment on ways to discourage their attentions. Thank you for bringing up the pheromone perfume types.

mascaria
Mar 19th, 2011, 03:33 PM
The issue with something like say... a bleach bomb, yes it would probably overwhelm the senses of the zombies but you'd also be tearing up the lungs of the person using it. I know that I personally can not inhale bleach fumes without them messing with my ability to breathe for hours after the fact.

yarri
Mar 19th, 2011, 07:17 PM
The issue with something like say... a bleach bomb, yes it would probably overwhelm the senses of the zombies but you'd also be tearing up the lungs of the person using it. I know that I personally can not inhale bleach fumes without them messing with my ability to breathe for hours after the fact.

Only if you delivered it up close. Wouldn't lobbing one from a distance eliminate that problem?

wooly
Mar 19th, 2011, 07:36 PM
Nice idea. Quart of bleach in a glass jar, toss it like a grenade.

Still, usefulness would be limited to indoors as the vapor would disperse pretty quickly outside.

Eviebae
Mar 19th, 2011, 09:54 PM
I know that I personally can not inhale bleach fumes without them messing with my ability to breathe for hours after the fact.

Good point! I once got a bit of a chemical burn in my eyes from tie dying some black tee shirts with bleach.

I guess they'd need gas masks or some such. I know that with mace, or pepper spray, if the wind is blowing towards you as you spray, you can end up dosing yourself. That would be. very. bad.

Anything that affects them will probably affect humans. So, what ever gets done, the humans have to do it safely. Makes me wonder with all the mutation going on, why none of them is getting cancer.

I say experimentation is in order. How could you experiment with the least amount of risk?

Teethingbiscuit
Mar 19th, 2011, 10:17 PM
Bleach is going to be a bit of a commodity. Don't waste it or you'll be boiling everything. May anyway. Bleach evaporates so don't use it in HOT water, I think that may be part of your problem Mascaria, but I hear stories like swimmers' lung from breathing in chlorine at the pool.
I am a Water superintendent for the town I work for, so I know a bit about chlorine, not necessarily how to make it but use, dangers and applications.

I like the though of experimenting on them. Even something simple like a sweat bottle sprayer that squirts a passing zombie. Will he/she eat itself, or would others attack it?
Something to sink your Teeth into

Eviebae
Mar 20th, 2011, 05:43 AM
I like the thought of experimenting on them. Even something simple like a sweat bottle sprayer that squirts a passing zombie. Will he/she eat itself, or would others attack it?
Something to sink your Teeth into

That's a really good idea! You could concentrate the spray. They can eat each other we've learned.

That's true about bleach. How long before bleach goes bad?

*I just realized the zombies must already be able to differentiate their smell from humans because they can pick them out even over their own smell. So, it might not work unless you really saturated them.

I was thinking about this. Ideally, you'd want to set it up remotely and use a video camera or maybe a really good rifle scope.

Onslaught
Mar 20th, 2011, 08:39 AM
Nikvoodoo just gave me an idea! What if you use smoke, its strong and it could easily overpower their senses, low visibility, fills noses with the smell, and where theres smoke theres fire, it could be used as offensive and defensive.

Wicked Sid
Mar 20th, 2011, 08:48 AM
Nikvoodoo just gave me an idea! What if you use smoke, its strong and it could easily overpower their senses, low visibility, fills noses with the smell, and where theres smoke theres fire, it could be used as offensive and defensive.

So you just transport smoke, ergo fire, everywhere? You're not always going to have time to light something on fire.

Onslaught
Mar 20th, 2011, 08:51 AM
So you just transport smoke, ergo fire, everywhere? You're not always going to have time to light something on fire.
You're right... although, it could work if you were holding out somewhere say a convenience store with roof access.
Guess its not so much offensive as I thought...

nikvoodoo
Mar 20th, 2011, 09:29 AM
Your best bet to make smoke work to your advantage would be to fabricate a smoke bomb of some kind. But unless you know what you're doing, it's going to take a very long time to figure out a recipe that works. And it might cost you a couple fingers while you're trying.

Not to mention smoke bombs in general are used as a visual barrier and cause confusion. In order to shield your smell, you'd probably have to combine it with tear gas or something similar to attack the zombies olfactory system.

Eviebae
Mar 20th, 2011, 10:18 AM
But unless you know what you're doing, it's going to take a very long time to figure out a recipe that works. And it might cost you a couple fingers while you're trying.

Yeah, I'm surprised they haven't gotten any books together, or magazines. I mean, somebody in those apartments have to have a subscription to Martha Stewart's Living, right? Anywho, I didn't think of sulphur, That's what makes stink bombs smell so bad. I think it burns opaque. Heck, incense.

It's the defense vs: offense conundrum. I wish they'd explore this idea. If they got hold of a tear gas canister gun. If they just rigged something to go off while the zombies were attracted to an area far away. Would it make them seem less like heroes to have them go after the zombies in a big bad way?

Eviebae
Mar 20th, 2011, 10:30 AM

You don't transport smoke and fire, you transport proto-smoke and fire (ie matches and lighters plus what ever you chose to burn). It'd be just one thing in your arsenal. You couldn't be sure the perfume bottle would break either. Zombie survival kit anyone?

You might be able to use it to direct groups of zombies towards traps.

Pikepaw
Mar 20th, 2011, 01:39 PM
Personally I would use scented candles, lol. Then use the candle flame to light a molotov. I think the smell of their own burning flesh can distract an individual zombie

Eviebae
Mar 20th, 2011, 07:03 PM
Personally I would use scented candles, lol. Then use the candle flame to light a molotov. I think the smell of their own burning flesh can distract an individual zombie

You have me there:D

Eviebae
Mar 20th, 2011, 07:05 PM
Only if you delivered it up close. Wouldn't lobbing one from a distance eliminate that problem?

Riley is an archer, she could tie something onto an arrow or hit a target to drop something.

Dr Janus
Mar 21st, 2011, 12:59 AM
Well you could always carry around a bag of ash and rub it all over your body if you wanted to simulate the smell of smoke... I'm thinking like one of those powder bags mountain climbers use.. You may also want to use a mini gas mask to hide the smell of your breath or something.

As for breakage re perfume... Use an army canteen... comes in metal or plastic... and is usually insulated by some form of clothe for various reasons i.e. sound repression if you accidentally scrape or hit it against something...

Just for reminiscents sake, how good was it when they finally threw the stink bottle off the building... I was literally sitting there yelling to myself... Just use the bottles !! ... Excellent build up.

Me personally I'd be carrying a supply shop of incendiaries and smoke grenades. Better yet. Just get one of my slaves to deal with any Zs.

timberwoof
Mar 21st, 2011, 06:57 AM
I agree about the experimenting to see which scents work best. One of them I would try, since chloroform worked, is an Ammonia Chloride bomb. See if it affects them the way it affects humans. I'm guessing it would being the affects of Chloroform were the same. See if you can gas them like you can a regular human. Or find several bottles of Carbon Monoxide from a vet office or pet impound where they put down animals. Odorless and works fast. See if you can confine several of them and gas them. Worth a shot.

Hollomandious
Mar 21st, 2011, 04:19 PM
I question the use of perfume because of the latest fragrances tend to be food scented.. We know they will eat everything. I can't see breaking a bottle of Cotton Candy or Cupcake or melon and strawberry as a really awesome deterrent to zombie sweat tracking.

I think the reason they use the perfume, not as a smell cover up, but more as a distraction. Fair-ah-moans in the crap make them gravitate to where ever you break the bottle. Right before Fernando got gotten (bows head) they smashed the bottle of cologne outside. Probably to keep them scratching at a wall and going after things that don't exist, while they closed the doors and hid.

The Al-Key-Hall is just the opposite. a shovel:) to the nasals.

eh?

Teethingbiscuit
Mar 21st, 2011, 07:42 PM
Freebreeze bombs! It eliminates odors. Either way cover it up or eliminate it but they Zs are likely going to adapt because no prey means they go hungry. So, be prepared to change it up if/when necessary.
Teeth

Eviebae
Mar 24th, 2011, 09:05 PM
Freebreeze bombs! It eliminates odors.
Teeth

Somebody should make a jingle!

MrScott101
Mar 24th, 2011, 09:35 PM
Freebreeze bombs! It eliminates odors. Either way cover it up or eliminate it but they Zs are likely going to adapt because no prey means they go hungry. So, be prepared to change it up if/when necessary.
Teeth

ha ha, it eliminates odors so would it eliminate the zombies?? or just make them smell better and end up tearing each other apart because they might smell human again or closer to living flesh smell?

ObamaCat
Mar 24th, 2011, 09:37 PM
ha ha, it eliminates odors so would it eliminate the zombies?? or just make them smell better and end up tearing each other apart because they might smell human again or closer to living flesh smell?

I believe its Mr. Clean that eliminates the zombs :p

Hollomandious
Mar 24th, 2011, 10:58 PM
OMG. That could make for a neat kinda bomb. pheromones everywhere. they all try to eat eachother.