PDA

View Full Version : Immunity?

Eviebae
Mar 16th, 2011, 03:54 PM
No matter what is causing the outbreak, what if someone was immune? Skittles could be immune--or have received a vaccine.

If it's an illness, what if there was a cure? Are you obligated to protect the life of zombies if at all possible?

SleepyGlenn
Mar 16th, 2011, 04:23 PM
If it's an illness, what if there was a cure? Are you obligated to protect the life of zombies if at all possible?

I think Pegs was following this line of thought at first. Then she got trigger happy.

On a personal note, I'm sure I'd feel bad killing zombies. At least I'd feel bad if they discovered a cure and I'd been chopping their heads off left, right and centre.

MrScott101
Mar 16th, 2011, 07:04 PM
I'd feel bad for about a half second then realize that the whole zombie progression is just disturbing and violent and would rather someone killed me off if I became a zombie rather than let my lunacy deprave others until a cure was found.

Eviebae
Mar 16th, 2011, 07:12 PM
I think Pegs was following this line of thought at first. Then she got trigger happy.

First, I gotta say that I like how the characters are built in this podcast, you get a sense of consistency to their characters, yet they can change. I like how characters I dislike become likable as they go on Pegs has been a challenge for me, like Kelly was. She just seems so mooshy.

I think whether or not I'd like to be saved and cured probably depends on if I remember killing and eating people. On the other hand, you know there would be some people who would have enjoyed it.

Pen
Mar 16th, 2011, 07:14 PM
No matter what is causing the outbreak, what if someone was immune? Skittles could be immune--or have received a vaccine.

I guess to a certain degree you would have to. If the zombies are part of the cure. So I say kill the fast, strong,smart, giant ones. And keep the slow dumb ones.
Hahahahaha...

yarri
Mar 17th, 2011, 11:57 AM
(snip)

Nope not for a second would I feel that. To many of them to few humans left, it becomes about survival. I would not want my self to live were I infected. I would not want to hurt anyone I cared for or loved by biting them or worse. Obligation ends when you watch them eat someone.

cPT.cAPSLOCK
Mar 17th, 2011, 12:50 PM
Call me practical, but I wouldn't feel sorry for the zombies I've chopped once a cure has been found.

Roughly halve a year ago, reason has cured from me from ever facing regret:
When you're in a tough situation, you do what you think is best at that moment, based on the information you have at that moment. Secondly, you can't change what you've done, so making fuss about it is of no use. Evaluate, learn your lessons, move on and do better next time. Crying won't solve anything.*

When chopping up zombies, you do what you need to to protect yourself and the people you care about (the other survivors). If you're realistic, you'll realize that chances for a cure are slim:
when so many people have gotten infected, there aren't many people left who could ever find a cure or vaccine. And those that do are highly unlikely to have the resources to do so.

*) After reading my post, I noticed that this bit might sound like I'm an emotionless dick. However, let me assure you that's not the case: especially when a situation is getting out of your control, when things are related to your people close to you, and so forth, I can be very understanding about emotional pain. However, when things get really serious (say 'emergency-serious') I can shut those feelings down and analyse the situation purely rationally.

Hollomandious
Mar 17th, 2011, 12:51 PM
Nope not for a second would I feel that. To many of them to few humans left, it becomes about survival. I would not want my self to live were I infected. I would not want to hurt anyone I cared for or loved by biting them or worse. Obligation ends when you watch them eat someone.

I'm with you. Saving people is a humanitarian effort. There is nothing humanitarian about a zombie.
What kind of cure could be hoped for anyways? Think of the bodily damage most of them have sustained? Plus eating all that raw meat? And beyond that, if they remembered even a shred of what it was like to be zombified, what hope of mental recovery is there?

It's all about protectin yer arse, and not becoming one of them. And if I do become one, u better kill me, or yer ass is lunch.

nikvoodoo
Mar 17th, 2011, 12:54 PM
I don't think there should be any question about it: you'd be justified in killing zombies. Its a predator/prey thing and very primal. Once the cure is discovered, and you have access to it, that becomes another thing all together. That's when a moral dilemma would arise for me because now you're killing zombies who could potentially be rescued.

Here's another thought about this: Would the people retain memories as a zombie? because if they do would they want to be returned to human and have to live the rest of their life with that knowledge.

TCM Revolver
Mar 17th, 2011, 01:05 PM
Here's another thought about this: Would the people retain memories as a zombie? because if they do would they want to be returned to human and have to live the rest of their life with that knowledge.

First thing this made me think of was "Robocop". He was tormented the whole time with the memories of his wife and kid. How horrible of an exsitance would that be?? If there was a vaccine, I don't think I could go back to regular life knowing what I had done.

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Mar 17th, 2011, 01:07 PM
For me it doesn't matter if they're human or infected. If they're trying to kill me or mine, someone is taking a dirt nap!

Onslaught
Mar 17th, 2011, 01:29 PM
I wouldn't feel obligated to save the zombies. Would you hold a zombie down while defending it from people that want to kill it and you now that you're trying to save something that is trying to eat you?

Interesting... what if Ink was part of an experiment that turned him into a zombie. Now I think skittles was crazy before ZDay hit and maybe Ink was the control in the experiment. Maybe skittles was given a vaccination and then they were both given the infection. You never know...

StepLaugh
Mar 17th, 2011, 02:42 PM
To me it simply comes down to this.

It's either me or him. In the end I wanna be the one leaving victorious.

mush_rooms
Mar 17th, 2011, 02:56 PM
First of all, yes to this:

For me it doesn't matter if they're human or infected. If they're trying to kill me or mine, someone is taking a dirt nap!

Second of all, I have a weird inclination to believe that someone (or a few people) out of the Tower group are immune. I know it would be extremely coincidental for this to be true, but hey, weirder things have happened. I'm sure there will be some insight to this eventually.

And I know this would be REALLY coincidental, but the first time the thought of immunity crossed my mind was Chapter 19 when they were in the ocean. It struck me as odd that they were literally bathing in what they'd soon find out was crawling with infected/zombies/whatever, and nothing happened. I'm sure they got some water in their mouths or something, and what if they got some infected skin tissue (I know this is gross but bear with me) or something in their systems? I mean, the ocean can't be THAT salty that it counteracts the infection. If it did, then wouldn't the infected crawling/swimming around in it effectively die? I'm no scientist, but the entire situation just seemed very strange and too-good-to-be-true, which lead me to believe that maybe Michael, Pegs, and Kelly were immune, but I really don't want to believe that at all!

Or maybe I'm just looking wayyyyyy too far into this...

yarri
Mar 17th, 2011, 03:01 PM

Simple, sweet, and to the point. :)

Wicked Sid
Mar 17th, 2011, 03:57 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again - Carriers.

SleepyGlenn
Mar 17th, 2011, 05:52 PM
And I know this would be REALLY coincidental, but the first time the thought of immunity crossed my mind was Chapter 19 when they were in the ocean. It struck me as odd that they were literally bathing in what they'd soon find out was crawling with infected/zombies/whatever, and nothing happened. I'm sure they got some water in their mouths or something, and what if they got some infected skin tissue (I know this is gross but bear with me) or something in their systems? I mean, the ocean can't be THAT salty that it counteracts the infection. If it did, then wouldn't the infected crawling/swimming around in it effectively die? I'm no scientist, but the entire situation just seemed very strange and too-good-to-be-true, which lead me to believe that maybe Michael, Pegs, and Kelly were immune, but I really don't want to believe that at all!

Very interesting point! Unless the zombie juice was very diluted.

I think whether or not I'd like to be saved and cured probably depends on if I remember killing and eating people. On the other hand, you know there would be some people who would have enjoyed it.

Well... there IS that.

Also, I'm not saying I wouldn't kill a zombie! I would just feel a twinge of guilt.... until the years of never ending horror dulled that into nonexistance along with the rest of my humanity, as I become as mindless an automaton as my heartless enemy. Or something.

Eviebae
Mar 17th, 2011, 07:33 PM
Also, I'm not saying I wouldn't kill a zombie! I would just feel a twinge of guilt.... until the years of never ending horror dulled that into nonexistance along with the rest of my humanity, as I become as mindless an automaton as my heartless enemy. Or something.

I agree that facing the zombies would put you into primal survival mode. I think I would fee justified--even if I were vilified afterward.

Still, we tend to believe that we can ignore things--put them on a shelf to deal with later--but we don't have shelves and it comes out one way or another. You gotta believe all the survivors will at least have Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome (PTZS).

MrScott101
Mar 17th, 2011, 07:46 PM
Nice perspective thought with the ocean being contaminated! Guess the thought didn't cross mind even with the boat situation. Kudos x 2!

cPT.cAPSLOCK
Mar 18th, 2011, 07:59 AM

Or maybe I'm just looking wayyyyyy too far into this...

I think you are. The ocean is a pretty darn big lot of water, remember. Also, there are currents running trough each bay. All those zombie juices are quickly diluted, and spread all over that massive watery mess. Imagine pouring 100 liters of blood into a harbor. It'll spread quickly, and dilute until you won't be able to notice it at all.

Don't forget we DON'T know how much zombie-blood actually infects you. Those few moles of zombie-blood may very well be too little to cause infection.

VeritableHero
Mar 18th, 2011, 08:06 AM
Very interesting point! Unless the zombie juice was very diluted.Zombie juice? I just threw up in my mouth. Thanks!

(Kidding, of course.)

I also agree with some sort of immunity. Ties in with other theories rather well.

Eviebae
Mar 18th, 2011, 02:04 PM
I also agree with some sort of immunity. Ties in with other theories rather well.

If not immunity, there should be misfires. Any example of a biological system seems to have varying numbers of misfires--like seeds that don't germinate, or do, but fail to thrive--what in my yard we call gardening.;)

I dunno, I just tend to want stories/ideas to be way more complex than they usually turn out to be--or than anyone else wants them to be if the reviews on IMDB are any measure. If this goes on for 4 years, it seems like they might have time to play with some interesting ideas.

Beaumont
Mar 19th, 2011, 04:13 PM
I think you just have to be really good at compartmentalizing and the first instinct is your own self preservation. If there is a cure found later I think the biggest problem most people would have is if they were forced to kill a loved one.

SleepyGlenn
Mar 19th, 2011, 06:43 PM
Zombie juice? I just threw up in my mouth. Thanks!

Did I mention it was congealed?

Eviebae
Mar 19th, 2011, 09:59 PM
Did I mention it was congealed?

GGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH! Thank you for that as I drift off to sleep with visions of congealed zombie juice dancing in my head...

timberwoof
Mar 21st, 2011, 07:17 AM
Okay, do I think there is a possibility of Immunity? Yes to a certain degree. There is always that possibility when it come to diseases. Not all humans have the same immunity to the same virus, so have a stronger immune system and others have weak. Even if there is an immunity if you're bit there is always the chance of infection to get you. The virus may not get you, but the infections like gan-green and other bacterial types may get you. That and you have to deal with the fact you may have broken bones, loss of limbs and the like.

Do I think I would use a cure on the zombies that are already infected. I don't think so if they are to far gone. What about the ones in a high rate of decomposition, if you give the cure to them and they die as they are reverting back to a "normal" human that would be a waste of the cure. If you have a limited supply you would need to pick and choose which ones got it. And would you want to deal with the fact that you went around eating other people as a creature of some sort? What would be the psychological factors in all that? Image waking up after a long sleep and realizing you are missing a limb from your zombie attack or having one of your appendages missing. Me personally would freak out if I looked down and found my penis missing.

As for the question of feeling sorry for re-killing a zombie. Honestly I would maybe feel bad at the beginning but as you can see my line of thinking above, I don't think I would have a problem after maybe a couple days of doing it. Every creature for themselves in my thoughts. Eat or be eaten. Kill or be killed.

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Mar 21st, 2011, 07:48 AM
I think we can give up on the idea of a cure. Someone having immunity is probable but highly unlikely.. This damn thing acts like a really really quick retrovirus. Our DNA is rewritten.. actually, flip my opening line. I'm thinking like HIV, you can probably be cured in theory, but no one is Immune to it. Same as a Biological or Nerve agent, once you get hit, you have to get help ASAP or you're done!