PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Kills Zune

Onslaught
Mar 15th, 2011, 01:33 PM
I got a zune myself and this just plain sucks.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/108485-Microsoft-Kills-the-Zune

cPT.cAPSLOCK
Mar 15th, 2011, 01:38 PM
Incorrect.

Microsoft has no plans for new Zune hardware, other than Windows Phones.
Zune software, on both devices and PC's, and Zune Pass will keep living on. Also, they will keep supporting the Zune HD (they're even adding new applications for it) and they're still selling it.

http://anythingbutipod.com/2011/03/zune-is-not-dead/

I have to say, I love the Zune software. MediaMonkey is just better on the PC, so I only use it the desktop version for syncing with my Windows Phone 7 device, but the Zune HD and WP7-Zune software are *excellent*.
Hopefully they'll spread the Metro interface to their Desktop OS also, because I love the focus on content.

Funny Muffins
Mar 15th, 2011, 01:49 PM
<3 my Zune.

Im with it til the last unit sells!

It takes the iPod and rubs sand it it's eye.
Perioddd.

Hellbringer
Mar 15th, 2011, 01:56 PM
I love my zune. I got the "old" 120 gig zune because I like having a lot of stuff on my person while I'm out and about. I looked into getting a zune HD when it came out, but the max size at the time was only 32 gigs, and I was pushing 60+ with music videos and movies on my current one. And then I discovered podcasts... wow. I listen to podcasts more than the music now, but that's because my radio stations don't play the best thought provoking programming out there (spoiled by NPR and college radio stations in DC a while back).
I also use it for playlists for my soldiers and I when we're running. I got a rucksack frame and mounted a boombox on it, added some extra weights, and every so often we take off during Physical Training to the tunes of Classic Rock, Top 40, or some angry Metal... depending on the mood.
I did hear that MS was going to do something to the zune marketplace but I'll still use my zune until it dies.

cycogod
Mar 15th, 2011, 05:47 PM
zune was pretty good. if it had drag and drop functionality , it would have been the best. people just fell in love with the ipod. never got a zune hd- have to watch for one of those...RIP ZUNE !

TCM Revolver
Mar 15th, 2011, 05:59 PM
Thank god the marketplace isn't going away, then my zune120 won't become a $300 picture viewer

StepLaugh
Mar 16th, 2011, 04:39 AM
I love my zune, nice device, I got the OLD 30 gig. I'm looking into getting an HD really soon.

Hellbringer
Mar 16th, 2011, 06:05 AM
I had the 30 gig Halo edition originally. Reminded me of my Toshiba Gigabeat S, which made me think that MS was rushing something out the door into the MP3 player scene since both companies had a deal concerning HD-DVD. But I loved using it because of its skin and the extra videos and pics it came with. Unfortunately, I accidentally dropped it in a glass of water; so I bought the 120 gig version after that.

Onslaught
Mar 16th, 2011, 10:37 AM
Thanks for the link Cpt. I was worried for a while. I'm just glad they're going to keep going.

I had an old 30gig but when it broke I upgraded to a 64 HD. Its REALLY nice.

Its tegra chip alone rapes the ipod. No offense to the sheep. JK