PDA

View Full Version : The cold...duh!!!

TCM Revolver
Feb 2nd, 2011, 05:43 PM
I'm sure your wondering WTF? But what about the cold. Where I live, it dropped to -30 last night and yesterday had a windchill of -40. Why not travel to somewhere it gets cold during the winter?? We have the intelligence to dress warm, and generate our own body heat. Is a zombie smart enough to put on a coat and 2 pairs of socks?? Thoughts??

--Revolver

StepLaugh
Feb 2nd, 2011, 06:55 PM
That does raise a good point, what would they do in Alaska? I mean "Ink" was smart enough to dress up.

Hollomandious
Feb 2nd, 2011, 08:23 PM
I'm sure your wondering WTF? But what about the cold. Where I live, it dropped to -30 last night and yesterday had a windchill of -40. Why not travel to somewhere it gets cold during the winter?? We have the intelligence to dress warm, and generate our own body heat. Is a zombie smart enough to put on a coat and 2 pairs of socks?? Thoughts??

Still, alot more is on the line w/ every mistake when the weather is shit. What if they get snowed in. Ain't no plows coming to get them out. How the hell do they stay warm without attracting zombies, and, there could be a difference in the zombies, the ones in colder climate could be like effin polar bears and not give a crap that it's cold. The enemy of my enemy is my friend. ColdWeatherZombie+ColdAssWeather=YouzBeLunch. It just doesn't sound as cut and dry.

I think you'd be ok if ya went to either of the poles. No human body is set to deal w/ that, even if soup'd up w/ zombie juice. and the chances they'd migrate to a climate like that is slim as well.

nikvoodoo
Feb 2nd, 2011, 08:42 PM
A good idea, but the zombies have shown they know how to build and maintain a fire. They might be able to adapt themselves to cold climates. Michael did think of the cold as an idea, but dismissed it because he's in California and it will never get cold enough to freeze them to death.

It would be cool (ha...punny) if we find out more about the world's populace. We assume it's happened every where, and that's probably true. But maybe people in colder climates have had an easier time dealing with them than in warm weather climates.

Onslaught
Feb 3rd, 2011, 04:40 PM
Wouldn't it just suck if the zombies were able to hibernate? I mean sure the survivors would have a break for a while but this would mean that the zombies could just last longer.

StepLaugh
Feb 3rd, 2011, 04:44 PM
haha or what if a zombie got frozen in a solid block of ice, and then 10,000 years later melted, and started the whole infection again.

Hey...It could happen.

Onslaught
Feb 3rd, 2011, 04:51 PM
Hehe thats only if people are able to survive the first infecton. Which I doubt. They could. At all. I have my reasons.

Wicked Sid
Feb 3rd, 2011, 06:26 PM
haha or what if a zombie got frozen in a solid block of ice, and then 10,000 years later melted, and started the whole infection again.

Hey...It could happen.

John Carpenter's "The Thing." Go watch it.

I thought the Zombies couldn't feel pain and I'm sure they wouldn't be too afflicted by viruses, bacteria and the like. So, the cold shouldn't be a problem. Unless they like body heat? Maybe?

TCM Revolver
Feb 3rd, 2011, 06:36 PM
John Carpenter's "The Thing." Go watch it.

I thought the Zombies couldn't feel pain and I'm sure they wouldn't be too afflicted by viruses, bacteria and the like. So, the cold shouldn't be a problem. Unless they like body heat? Maybe?

My theory is pretty simple. Everything moves slower in the cold, anyone that lives in a cold climate can SWEAR by that. :) That could level the playing field. Also, having no scientific proof that z's create any body heat it would be like a cold blooded reptile. They would slowly freeze to "death".

Hoss
Feb 6th, 2011, 07:14 AM
Everything moves slower in the cold

Never worked at FedEx during Christmas did you? LOL

Teethingbiscuit
Feb 12th, 2011, 10:34 AM
freeze dried zombies! I've seen a number of carcasses and neither heat or cold are good to the dead... er, undead er living... er. I am going away now.
Teeth

lectio
Feb 12th, 2011, 09:58 PM
You assume that the zombie would be cold-blooded, though. The zombie genotype varies - you might not necessarily be dealing with the undead. The zombies in We're Alive haven't been clearly established to be dead. If they're infected, you might see them displaying tolerance to temperature extremes - potentially even adaptations or mutations that could resist heat and cold. Not to mention that survivors could be severely hampered by a cold weather environment. If your safehouse is breached, fleeing out into -40 (C or F) could be just as likely as not to kill. And depending on the intelligence level of your zombie, they could track you through the snow.

Not to say that cold weather couldn't be an ally. But I think the chance for survival would be higher in a moderately warm environment, where survivors wouldn't need to spend the majority of their time trying to stay warm (or stocking fuel sources for the winter!).

Teethingbiscuit
Feb 15th, 2011, 06:00 PM
That from one who knows how to bundle ehe, lectio?
Obviously there are going to be better and worse places to try to survive. I think your reason for a warm weather survival would be cause of my reason to stay north. Less survivors means less competition for foraging. There are ways to stay warm if the zacks are not knocking on the bunker door in the freeze. Mutated cold weather zacks seems too much like cheating.
Smart cold one says "roar..." Interpretation, "send in the ice wolves!... if we didn't eat them."
Teeth(chattering)

lectio
Feb 15th, 2011, 06:46 PM
Obviously there are going to be better and worse places to try to survive. I think your reason for a warm weather survival would be cause of my reason to stay north. Less survivors means less competition for foraging. There are ways to stay warm if the zacks are not knocking on the bunker door in the freeze. Mutated cold weather zacks seems too much like cheating.
Smart cold one says "roar..." Interpretation, "send in the ice wolves!... if we didn't eat them."
Teeth(chattering)

Our apartment building was without heat in October for a few weeks while the boilers were being replaced. Even with temperatures above 0C, it was cold. Not right away, but after a few days, everything just felt...dank. The cold just wears you down - and we hadn't even made it to the truly cold weather. It regularly gets to -40C here in the winter (-40F), and I can't think of a worse climate for zombie survival. Even just getting water would be difficult. There'd be snow, yes, but you'd need something to melt it. Plus your calorie intake would need to be much, much higher just to keep pace with the cold. You'd run through food supplies quickly.

mascaria
Feb 16th, 2011, 07:26 AM
Teeth(chattering)

You'd need to eat more food and drink more water to deal with the cold so what ever abundance you'd have from the lack of survivor's you'd lose in how much more you need to survive.

Teethingbiscuit
Feb 16th, 2011, 10:23 AM
Nah, not really. Really?
I am not a nutritionist so I have no basis for an argument there.
I will argue that if there is an abundance I will/would have an awful large freezer!
Teeth

lectio
Feb 16th, 2011, 06:24 PM
Nah, not really. Really?
I am not a nutritionist so I have no basis for an argument there.
I will argue that if there is an abundance I will/would have an awful large freezer!
Teeth

You run through way more calories trying to stay warm. But there is that - you'd have excellent food storage. Just park it outside!

nikvoodoo
Feb 16th, 2011, 07:12 PM
You run through way more calories trying to stay warm. But there is that - you'd have excellent food storage. Just park it outside!

But We're Alive Zombie mythos shows our Zombies eat our food. If you leave it outside, all your food are belong to them.

lectio
Feb 16th, 2011, 07:52 PM
But We're Alive Zombie mythos shows our Zombies eat our food. If you leave it outside, all your food are belong to them.

Hrm. If you leave it on a high rise balcony?

nikvoodoo
Feb 16th, 2011, 08:05 PM
Hrm. If you leave it on a high rise balcony?

Hmm....this is good plan. Me likey way much.

You could also secure it in a metal box with a lock that's bolted to the ground too. They might have a harder time getting to it that way, and it will act like a fridge.

lectio
Feb 16th, 2011, 08:48 PM
Hmm....this is good plan. Me likey way much.

You could also secure it in a metal box with a lock that's bolted to the ground too. They might have a harder time getting to it that way, and it will act like a fridge.

Or just use an emptied out fridge or freezer. In theory, they wouldn't be able to smell it (Riley and Angel were able to hide out in the meat locker for that reason, weren't they?).

Teethingbiscuit
Feb 16th, 2011, 09:06 PM
A great idea it works on more than one level too. Come summer time if you've been able to electricity then plug it in and keep your stores even longer. (I'll go on the assumption that during the winter the extra electricity is used for heating)
Teeth

nikvoodoo
Feb 16th, 2011, 10:35 PM
Or just use an emptied out fridge or freezer. In theory, they wouldn't be able to smell it (Riley and Angel were able to hide out in the meat locker for that reason, weren't they?).

True. Though a fridge or freezer is a simple enough device to open even by the brainless. My cats can open the fridge and freezer if they try hard enough and that's without opposable thumbs. And a fridge, if kept outside like we had been talking about, would be pretty easy to tip over.

honestly I was just going for the ingenuity points of crafting a metal box and bolting it to the floor. I don't know what I find so amusing about that mental image, but I think it's hilarious....until it gets covered by snow, you forget where it is and stub your toe... ouch...

lectio
Feb 17th, 2011, 07:03 PM
True. Though a fridge or freezer is a simple enough device to open even by the brainless. My cats can open the fridge and freezer if they try hard enough and that's without opposable thumbs. And a fridge, if kept outside like we had been talking about, would be pretty easy to tip over.

honestly I was just going for the ingenuity points of crafting a metal box and bolting it to the floor. I don't know what I find so amusing about that mental image, but I think it's hilarious....until it gets covered by snow, you forget where it is and stub your toe... ouch...

Snort. Or dropping a suspended fridge on a zombie...

ClearSights
Aug 6th, 2011, 06:22 PM
Theres alot of thing you guys didn't think of on this topic but what if...

I was just thinking deeply during working after listening to the season 2 finale and was like " What happens when the climate changes, what will happen to the zombies?"

Then is clicked....

Characteristics :

We all know that the zombies gather there dead and store them at a specific location, but we do not know what they do with them.

The stored a ton of bodies and body parts in the ice arena.

The arena was filled with small fires (For warmth?)

Perhaps could the arena be where they were planning on hibernating before it was destroyed? If they were they had ample food to fill their faces with then sleep through winter to spring. And were the small fires porously set up to keep the arena at a warm temperature for this theory as-well?

This theory fits in well with all the characteristics of wild animals that hibernate...

Teethingbiscuit
Aug 6th, 2011, 09:43 PM
hibernate? Good theory.
As for the fire I had assumed it was for light but trouble if they are strategizing survival through winter and beyond.
Makes me wonder how the longevity of the accursed. Looking over evolution, viruses have a life cycle, where it infects, moves on to a carrier and back to infect another. What is the cycle of this, for the case of a virus, fungus, or bacti? Annihilation of the humans would surely cause death to the Monster inside the zombie.

Too far?
Teeth