PDA

View Full Version : Technology: iPads, Tablets or None of the above

nikvoodoo
Mar 2nd, 2011, 10:57 AM
With the announcement of the iPad2 today, I was curious what everyone thought of tablet devices. For those that have them, why do you like them/hate them. For those who don't have them but want one, why? For those who don't like them, why don't you like them?

Kc
Mar 2nd, 2011, 11:21 AM
Apple just does things right. We love our Zune folks and I use both Windows and OSX, but I have to be honest. I've written very extensive reasons why the unix based operating systems are superior.

ObamaCat
Mar 6th, 2011, 07:35 PM
I'm most likely gonna pick up a 32 gb Wifi model iPad 2 on launch day. Knowing Apple's business model, I skipped out on the first generation of iPads and waited for the second gen to be announced. I've always been an Apple kind of guy so that's why I'm planning on going with the iPad as opposed to the Xoom or the Android Tablet. And as for why I like the iPad / tablets, it's because I've seen how much fun an Ipod touch can be and my laptop is getting pretty old so I thought an iPad would be an ideal device to bridge the gap between the two of them.

Wicked Sid
Mar 6th, 2011, 07:47 PM
it's because I've seen how much fun an Ipod touch can be and my laptop is getting pretty old so I thought an iPad would be an ideal device to bridge the gap between the two of them.

Wow, I can not think of a better combination that so perfectly defines the iPad, bravo sir. For some reason I've always thought of the iPhone first, with utter disregard for the iPod Touch.

fraggot
Mar 6th, 2011, 08:39 PM
I've been wanting an iPad for quite some time now. I own a Mac and I've owned every iPhone model since the original and my next goal is an iPad. I doubt I'll have the money to get one on launch day since that's this upcoming Friday but I plan to get at least get a 32gb Wi-Fi only model. If money just doesn't come about for me to be able to get one, I'll just get one of the ridiculously cheap refurbished original models.

Ra1th
Mar 6th, 2011, 08:40 PM
the way i see it, ipad still cant run flash, and it can't multi task, i wouldn't wanna drop 500 dollars for literally, a bigger version of my iphone. i would much rather buy an alienware m11x for 600, which can run just about any pc game, and still gets you 7 and a half hours of battery life, and there's nothing limiting you, it's a full fledge computer.

That being said, if i was rich i would totally buy an ipad, just for kicks, but alas, I'm a brokeass college student, and i can't afford anything.

ObamaCat
Mar 6th, 2011, 09:13 PM
Wow, I can not think of a better combination that so perfectly defines the iPad, bravo sir.

Thanks!

the way i see it, ipad still cant run flash, and it can't multi task, i wouldn't wanna drop 500 dollars for literally, a bigger version of my iphone.

If I had an iPhone I probably wouldn't consider getting an iPad, but since I already have a decent phone and I'm not considering buying an iPhone or iPod touch anytime soon the iPad is pretty appealing.

fraggot
Mar 7th, 2011, 07:35 AM
Flash is on it's way out, Adobe can try to optimize it all they want but it still just doesn't run that well. And as of now, Flash has yet to hinder my browsing on my iPhone. Most websites have switched to .h264 video so no need for Flash.

And maybe I'm just not the best example simply cause I don't really honestly use Flash much really. And the iPad and iPhone can multi-task just fine, no it's not true multitasking but it does just fine for me.

Kc
Mar 7th, 2011, 09:35 AM
Flash is on it's way out, Adobe can try to optimize it all they want but it still just doesn't run that well. And as of now, Flash has yet to hinder my browsing on my iPhone. Most websites have switched to .h264 video so no need for Flash.

And maybe I'm just not the best example simply cause I don't really honestly use Flash much really. And the iPad and iPhone can multi-task just fine, no it's not true multitasking but it does just fine for me.
I think the multitasking is in fact better system management than osx and windows can do right now. You're reliant on memory, where on the iOS devices that isn't the case. They're integrating it into the Lion build... I'm curious to see how that goes.

cycogod
Mar 7th, 2011, 12:22 PM
little off topic but... "Project Elite "a custom rom for a rooted motorola droid. Android is open and if this is possible ,a powerfull Android tablet with custom firmware and open development is gonna be amazing. Wave two of this hardware will be killer (it's pretty good now) and it should only get better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BW37nPzpAwY&feature=player_embedded

nikvoodoo
Mar 7th, 2011, 01:28 PM
I agree with Kc, Apple does just seem to do things right. I have yet to have an apple product truly crap out on me in spectacular fashion. My little black macbook has already surpassed my old Hp laptop I bought years ago for more money. So I'm leaning to iPad. Then, in the summer or 2012, I'll end up with my Verizon iphone and be fully integrated into the collective.

fraggot
Mar 7th, 2011, 02:55 PM
Yeah I have a 2006 Mac Mini and it's still running better then a lot of PCs would be without spending a ton of money on. I do believe Apple puts a lot of thought into their products and how they run, that's why you pay the premium prices.

I want an iPad simply cause I already have a Mac and a PC and an iPhone. So I don't really want a laptop, I want something in between. Basically something that does basic functions easily and efficiently without all the hassle.

nikvoodoo
Mar 12th, 2011, 03:44 PM
I've ordered my iPad2 and can't wait for it to arrive. If only I had the patience to sit in line at the big cube that is located a block away from where I'm sitting right now....but I can't stand that many people all in one place. Apple stores become like Times Square to me on release days and it drives me crazy.