PDA

View Full Version : site improvements

zombiez
Feb 1st, 2011, 11:48 AM
i love the new site but i think the initial page seems a bit bare. prob switch the youtube video and the "New" section since that is what will be updated most often. Since it will be in the center you will be able to put the whole article up, so people can read it in a glance. As it is, a person has to chase the info on your website. i have to read just a few sentences of the "news" and have to "click". i love that you have all feeds and forums at a quick glance but just seems that one reads those before they read the news anyway just my 2 cents worth. love the show!!

Kc
Feb 1st, 2011, 02:12 PM
You mean New posts? I can switch it out, I just wanted to verify what you're suggesting.

nikvoodoo
Feb 2nd, 2011, 10:29 PM
I would suggest moving the "Introduce Yourself" Thread out of its current location and make it its own heading right at the top so people will see it without having to search for it. The Stage Manager's forum I frequent does it this way and everyone that signs up sees it and for the most part immediately introduces themselves so everyone can say hi (should they choose). I just found the intro now and will go post to it so I stop being rude!

Kc
Feb 2nd, 2011, 11:37 PM
I would suggest moving the "Introduce Yourself" Thread out of its current location and make it its own heading right at the top so people will see it without having to search for it. The Stage Manager's forum I frequent does it this way and everyone that signs up sees it and for the most part immediately introduces themselves so everyone can say hi (should they choose). I just found the intro now and will go post to it so I stop being rude!
That's a good call! Stephen? You hear that? (He's been an uber-helpful admin while I'm swamped with the production).

nikvoodoo
Feb 2nd, 2011, 11:40 PM
That's a good call! Stephen? You hear that? (He's been an uber-helpful admin while I'm swamped with the production).

I can't even begin to know what you mean by being swamped by a production schedule......Nope! Just kidding! :p

I'm glad you are able to stick to your publishing schedule! I know how hard it is to turn out a quality product on a deadline. This makes my Monday much better!

StepLaugh
Feb 3rd, 2011, 05:19 AM
I hear you Kc. ;)

And I'm glad you brought it up cause I did have it as a sticky in the "everything else" thread, I'd like it easier to access.

One question. How did you make categories of threads, Like I know you made sub categories, I dont know where you did that.

EDIT*
Found out how to do it, the only way I could get it to the top was to make the "discussions" a parent thread.

What do you guys think?

nikvoodoo
Feb 6th, 2011, 09:04 PM
What do you guys think?

I think (and be evident by the explosion of responses) it's great! Thank you for the adjustment!

cycogod
Feb 21st, 2011, 10:04 AM
this site is running better, always a few kinks to work out. Thanks to everyone who's improving it...

hollowscream666
Feb 25th, 2011, 10:07 PM
maybe a chatbox my ps3 clan has a chatbox in it's forum and a anime site had it so you has to post 10 times intill you could use it or let alone see it.

Kc
Feb 25th, 2011, 10:42 PM
That is something we're looking into

Solanine
Mar 14th, 2011, 10:50 AM
Is it possible that people could choose their title every time they "level up"? So runner or jumper, big or little, smart or resident of the tower. It would probably be hard but for customisations freaks like me it would be cool. Possibility of custom tag after 300 posts or something as an alternative to donating (unfortunately being in the UK its very difficult for me). Just some cool but complex ideas. It would mean thinking of some new titles but I'm sure thats not too much of a problem.

TCM Revolver
Mar 14th, 2011, 11:02 AM
Is it possible that people could choose their title every time they "level up"? So runner or jumper, big or little, smart or resident of the tower. It would probably be hard but for customisations freaks like me it would be cool. Possibility of custom tag after 300 posts or something as an alternative to donating (unfortunately being in the UK its very difficult for me). Just some cool but complex ideas. It would mean thinking of some new titles but I'm sure thats not too much of a problem.

It's actually not possible in VB. When someone donates Step has to go in and manually change their title. What we can do is expand the titles. If you have some suggestions we can put them into place.

Solanine
Mar 15th, 2011, 11:56 AM
K thanks, i'll try to think of some. Could we maybe make it a challenge to the community at large?

COsurvivor
Apr 14th, 2011, 11:04 AM
Can the images for READ and UNREAD be different? It is difficult to determine which threads I have read and which ones I have not when I log in...

This would make this forum site much easier to navigate.

j0be
Apr 14th, 2011, 11:08 AM
Can the images for READ and UNREAD be different? It is difficult to determine which threads I have read and which ones I have not when I log in...
This would make this forum site much easier to navigate.

You can always view new posts by click the New Posts (http://zombiepodcast.com/forum/search.php?do=getnew&contenttype=vBForum_Post) button at the top of the page.
Also, this is the image for new post in a subforum. http://zombiepodcast.com/forum/images/statusicon/forum_new-48.png
This is the image for read http://zombiepodcast.com/forum/images/statusicon/forum_old-48.png

You can mark specific subforum as read by double clicking the icon for new posts in that subforum. (http://zombiepodcast.com/forum/images/statusicon/forum_new-48.png)

7oddisdead
Jun 18th, 2011, 01:18 AM
I know recently Nik has been working hard to " clean up" the theories section. A lot of similar theories In there...would it be possible to make sub sections within the theory section? That would make A: finding what your looking for easier B: admins lives a bit easier C: when some burning question like "ground zero" or "whos the rat" gets answered, that section can be eliminated...will probly help control the clutter..and keep Niks hair in his head:)

nikvoodoo
Jun 18th, 2011, 04:30 AM
the big shiny spot in the back of my head will happen regardless of the amount of stress I'm under/how much I pull out on any given day.

I, and my wife, thank you for your concern for my follicle health :)

7oddisdead
Jun 18th, 2011, 04:36 AM
Gotta look out for your own...im slowly matching...but seriously. Would that make that section easier? There seems to be way more theorists on here now than a month ago even

MancheeLivesOn
Jul 30th, 2011, 08:59 AM
There seems to be way more theorists on here now than a month ago even

Theorists will come in ever increasing waves as popularity grows. Big cliffhanger of an episode leads to big wave of theorists. Sub-Headings such as Chapter, The Rat, Zombie Outbreak in general... etc. would help funnel said theorists. Making it mandatory that all threads be titled with a summarized theory will help with categorization. Would help newer Tower residents understand what questions had been answered already and what is still up for debate which will minimalize re-posts and maximize the time Nik has left with his hair follicles.

Also, a banner/ad on the pages inviting guests to make an account would increase membership and potential donors. I was looking at the counter and saw that only about 60 of the 300 online or so were members and the rest guests.

nikvoodoo
Jul 30th, 2011, 09:15 AM
Theorists will come in ever increasing waves as popularity grows. Big cliffhanger of an episode leads to big wave of theorists. Sub-Headings such as Chapter, The Rat, Zombie Outbreak in general... etc. would help funnel said theorists. Making it mandatory that all threads be titled with a summarized theory will help with categorization. Would help newer Tower residents understand what questions had been answered already and what is still up for debate which will minimalize re-posts and maximize the time Nik has left with his hair follicles.

Also, a banner/ad on the pages inviting guests to make an account would increase membership and potential donors. I was looking at the counter and saw that only about 60 of the 300 online or so were members and the rest guests.

Me keeping my hair is a genetically losing battle. :p

We have been policing spoiler titles in recent days (since a certain happenstance involving a pistol and a radio), so that's why the titles have to be watched. But we could probably work on some subheadings to organize the theories section. After all, in about 2 weeks that section is going to atrophy from lack of new information. We'll look into it over the break.

Solanine
Sep 21st, 2011, 12:14 PM
K, so achievements are kinda awkward to view, its hard to see what you have and for what. For example I just got "Overdrive" yet I can't for the life of me find what it is.
Same with awards to a lesser extent. Also maybe a purge of users, looking through the introduce yourself tab there is so many that have been active since spring with one post. Maybe a six month cut off period If your not active, after which your account is deleted. An email could be sent prior as warning.

MancheeLivesOn
Sep 27th, 2011, 07:59 PM
I still don't have a room number and the chatbox is perpetually loading.

nikvoodoo
Sep 27th, 2011, 08:01 PM
I still don't have a room number and the chatbox is perpetually loading.

Are you loading off a bookmark? And if so, does your bookmark have www. in front of zombiepodcast.com? j0be fixed something and the chatbox/forum doesn't load correctly without www.

Amisiel
Sep 30th, 2011, 01:13 AM
Are you loading off a bookmark? And if so, does your bookmark have www. in front of zombiepodcast.com? j0be fixed something and the chatbox/forum doesn't load correctly without www.

Im not loading off a bookmark, and my chat never loads I have to go into the arcade for it to work. ill try clearing my cache and stuff tonight and let you know if it works tomorrow..

awkwardalex
Feb 27th, 2012, 04:52 PM
I think that we should add a new category to the main forum page, for the possible Rat and Pippin’s Shooter, betrayal and secrets.
In that category every character that’s able to have been the rat (that would be everyone in the tower except for Hope and Victor as they were not there) will have a thread i.e.
Michael
Angel
Saul
And so on…
I think it would be a very organized way for everyone to share theories about who could be the Rat (or the Shooter).
I thought this would be a good idea because since I have been on the forums (Nov. 2011) I cannot find any area for any theories on The Rat, other than a fleeting thought on the character threads.

nikvoodoo
Feb 27th, 2012, 08:58 PM
I think that we should add a new category to the main forum page, for the possible Rat and Pippin’s Shooter, betrayal and secrets.
In that category every character that’s able to have been the rat (that would be everyone in the tower except for Hope and Victor as they were not there) will have a thread i.e.
Michael
Angel
Saul
And so on…
I think it would be a very organized way for everyone to share theories about who could be the Rat (or the Shooter).
I thought this would be a good idea because since I have been on the forums (Nov. 2011) I cannot find any area for any theories on The Rat, other than a fleeting thought on the character threads.

There is always a sticky thread in the theories section under Tower members dedicated to The Rat. There's been three different threads since the relaunch of the forum in January '11. The current version can be found here:
http://www.zombiepodcast.com/forum/showthread.php?2900-Who-s-the-Rat-V-3-0-This-time-We-re-Alive-and-Serious

Personally, since this matter is re:a tower member I'm inclined to leave it at that. But it doesn't mean I'm right. If others want a new section specifically dealing with the rat we can make one. I just think this is cleaner.

mem
Feb 28th, 2012, 07:45 AM
I love lamp!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybExhPKH8gU&feature=fvst

clem131
Mar 5th, 2012, 01:44 AM
I have an idea for a new section, titled whatever you want, containing "Military facts".
KC served, so he definitely knows what he's talking about. Other people here in the forum served in the army, so they post helpful comments and explanations here and there, scattered in the episode discussion section. These "army facts" are never critical to understanding or following the story, but they certainly help. For example, first chapter: Saul says: "Hey, as long as I get the saw I'm in." and I was like "Uh... do they expect to encounter many ZOMBIE TREES?". Maybe not the best example, as the SAW is in the weapon's section already, but all the stuff for Ft Irwin, MOS, whatever, could go there. It also depends on how heavy a component of the show this will be from now on, with the group stationed at Ft Irwin.
So, maybe a section on the wiki could collect and explain some of the military facts scattered around the series. What do you think?

daredevil
Mar 5th, 2012, 02:13 AM
I'm hating the Front page. I'm gonna go code a new front page that isn't crap and when it's done, I'll send it to maybe Voodoo or someone they can decide what to do with it.

nikvoodoo
Mar 5th, 2012, 07:49 AM
I'm hating the Front page. I'm gonna go code a new front page that isn't crap and when it's done, I'll send it to maybe Voodoo or someone they can decide what to do with it.

Are you talking about the front page like we used to have with the news splash? Or the Front page like where the links to the forum and the chatbox are?

If you're talking about the former, the reason you hate it is because we tried to delete it and it shouldn't be showing up for you. Hence why it's ugly because no one has touched it in nearly 6 months and I'm sure it looks like a horribly formatted nightmare.

Raven
Mar 5th, 2012, 08:00 AM
: Saul says: "Hey, as long as I get the saw I'm in." and I was like "Uh... do they expect to encounter many ZOMBIE TREES?".

LOL More than one thread on this site (Usally TCM Rev and Arthur ) has sent me to the Wikipedia but I think that is some of the fun for us civvies

daredevil
Mar 5th, 2012, 11:51 AM
Are you talking about the front page like we used to have with the news splash? Or the Front page like where the links to the forum and the chatbox are?

If you're talking about the former, the reason you hate it is because we tried to delete it and it shouldn't be showing up for you. Hence why it's ugly because no one has touched it in nearly 6 months and I'm sure it looks like a horribly formatted nightmare.

That's (http://www.zombiepodcast.com/The_Zombie_Podcast/Main.html) what I'm talking about. Coding it's gonna be a hobby. Something to do.

mozartki
Apr 12th, 2012, 11:57 AM
site improvement, one of the easy way of site improvement is if you will click the word that have a link it will go through rthe site itself and it will help for the improvement of the site. Just try this one Wine country tours from san francisco, then see what will gonna happen

nikvoodoo
Apr 12th, 2012, 12:11 PM
site improvement, one of the easy way of site improvement is if you will click the word that have a link it will go through rthe site itself and it will help for the improvement of the site. Just try this one Wine country tours from san francisco, then see what will gonna happen

Another easy way to improve the site is to remove your spam hyperlink and ban you.

Instant improvement!!