PDA

View Full Version : Mass Effect

Destiny
Feb 28th, 2011, 03:22 PM
What do you guys think of the Mass Effect games? I think they're amazing and can't wait for the third one. Discuss.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjOEmHEd2XM

Sir Bob Cornelius Rifo
Feb 28th, 2011, 05:40 PM
i love them, favorite games of all time

VeritableHero
Feb 28th, 2011, 05:44 PM
ME3 is a day-one purchase for me. I actually won ME1 and ME2 from a Direct2Drive twitter giveaway. That was a good day. :)

Sir Bob Cornelius Rifo
Feb 28th, 2011, 05:50 PM
^ lucky you!

I've been using d2d more than steam lately because I get faster download speeds with them, steam is sooo slow for me.

ObamaCat
Feb 28th, 2011, 10:08 PM
I made the transition from the original Mass Effect on Xbox to Mass Effect 2 on PS3, so I'm getting ME3 for PS3 most definitely on day one. I'm about half way though ME2 right now (Dead Space 2 was a major distraction :P).

Ra1th
Feb 28th, 2011, 11:19 PM
hell yeah, i'm getting ME 3 day 1 and then i'm gonna spend the next 2-3 days locked inside and i'm not going outside till i beat it

Hellbringer
Mar 20th, 2011, 05:11 PM
hmmmm, I was thining of posting about Mass Effect but saw not only did you beat me to it, but you did it by like 3 weeks. I am sooooo slow. Anyway, I'm still trying to milk Medal of Honor for the last of the achievements I WANT to go for, which is a good game by the way, before I fire up Mass Effect and its sequel.

Something that concerns me though is that I heard if I pick the soldier class or some other class that likes weapons and ranges, the game will be very difficult towards the end. However, the guide I bought says that the soldier class is great for beginners. I normally like playing as a soldier anyways, and was thinking about going for that or the infiltrator class, but if the game gets impossible towards the end, I don't really want to start over. Has anyone who has finished it with those two classes found the first Mass Effect that difficult to complete?

PetesWaterBottle
Mar 28th, 2011, 10:29 PM
Mass Effect 3 is definitely a day one purchase for me too. I can't wait for the Arrival DLC tomorrow I'm so excited :)

Ra1th
Mar 28th, 2011, 10:37 PM
hmmmm, I was thining of posting about Mass Effect but saw not only did you beat me to it, but you did it by like 3 weeks. I am sooooo slow. Anyway, I'm still trying to milk Medal of Honor for the last of the achievements I WANT to go for, which is a good game by the way, before I fire up Mass Effect and its sequel.

Something that concerns me though is that I heard if I pick the soldier class or some other class that likes weapons and ranges, the game will be very difficult towards the end. However, the guide I bought says that the soldier class is great for beginners. I normally like playing as a soldier anyways, and was thinking about going for that or the infiltrator class, but if the game gets impossible towards the end, I don't really want to start over. Has anyone who has finished it with those two classes found the first Mass Effect that difficult to complete?

It's not rly that difficult, I played on normal and barely ever died. Higher difficulties are a different matter though. For the first game I'd recommend vanguard cause they are super strong in the first one also the sniper rifle is kinda broken so that sucks, for the second one infiltrator was an awesome class and they totally fixed the sniper rifle. But that's just me I hate playing as soldier when I can have tech or biotic powers

SleepyGlenn
Mar 29th, 2011, 03:23 PM
Don't forget there's some new DLC out soon, bridging the gap between Mass Effect 2 and 3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPPXpikoWAo

StepLaugh
Mar 29th, 2011, 03:26 PM
I have the collectors edition of the first 2 game, and getting the 3rd one too.

I've read all the books too.

All I have now to do is read the comics.

I'm in love with this game, and got a boner when I saw the trailer above!

SleepyGlenn
Mar 29th, 2011, 03:27 PM
I'm in love with this game, and got a boner when I saw the trailer above!

StepLaugh is now rated Mature 17+ due to sexual content.

Ps. I do really like the books. I haven't had a chance to read any of the comics yet though. :-(

I The K Train I
Mar 31st, 2011, 05:42 AM
ME 1 & 2 are unreal. I would have said ME 2 is possibly my 3rd favourite game of all time. That was until Dragon Age 2 was released which I love even more! Bioware are most definitely my favourite developer of all time.

Hellbringer
Mar 31st, 2011, 06:49 AM
ME 1 & 2 are unreal. I would have said ME 2 is possibly my 3rd favourite game of all time. That was until Dragon Age 2 was released which I love even more! Bioware are most definitely my favourite developer of all time.

I'm liking what I see in Mass Effect so far (I got all the characters but am focusing on the side quests right now). It reminds me a lot of KOTOR but without the lightsabers. I don't think Bioware is going to make a game I don't like.

What's funny is I've heard a lot of people complain about the Mako, but I'm not having as bad a problem as everyone makes it out to be. I just treat the handling as something looser than the Warthog from Halo and don't expect too much from it. Works for me.

I The K Train I
Mar 31st, 2011, 07:18 AM
I'm liking what I see in Mass Effect so far (I got all the characters but am focusing on the side quests right now). It reminds me a lot of KOTOR but without the lightsabers. I don't think Bioware is going to make a game I don't like.

What's funny is I've heard a lot of people complain about the Mako, but I'm not having as bad a problem as everyone makes it out to be. I just treat the handling as something looser than the Warthog from Halo and don't expect too much from it. Works for me.

I will say, KOTOR is an amazing game also, gets just a bit dated graphics wise in my opinion. I have no problem with retro games but I look at bioware games from today and compare and the jump is significant.

The Mako I didn't have any trouble with really, a lot of people complained about it, i loved being able to jump and shoot. Saying that though, I didn't miss it in ME 2. It's nothing major taking it really.

VeritableHero
Mar 31st, 2011, 07:54 AM
I definitely prefer the Mako over mining planets. However, the mining did lead to very different mission types. I admit: I love both games for different reasons. I'm sure the third will be no different.

Hellbringer
Apr 8th, 2011, 05:32 PM
Just finished my first playthrough of Mass Effect and didn't realize I'd hit Level 50 so soon. I mean, it wasn't like early or in the middle of the game, but I got to there in Virmire and since I couldn't level up anymore, I tried out a bunch of different ways to kill the bad guys. I am going to play with the same file to get it to level 60 later, but right now, I started over with am engineer this time in order to get all renegade and knock out some more achievements before I go back to my soldier file and build it up to prepare for Mass Effect 2.

Ra1th
Apr 8th, 2011, 09:37 PM
Just finished my first playthrough of Mass Effect and didn't realize I'd hit Level 50 so soon. I mean, it wasn't like early or in the middle of the game, but I got to there in Virmire and since I couldn't level up anymore, I tried out a bunch of different ways to kill the bad guys. I am going to play with the same file to get it to level 60 later, but right now, I started over with am engineer this time in order to get all renegade and knock out some more achievements before I go back to my soldier file and build it up to prepare for Mass Effect 2.

you're aware your character stats wont transfer over the ME2 right? its just your choices, just giving you a headsup

Luna Guardian
Apr 9th, 2011, 03:06 AM
ME 3 is the reason I decided to play through ME 1 'till I get to level 60 and start with a new character on ME 2 to get to max level. Those sneaky gits at Bioware might give something extra cool to those who have maxed out characters in both previous games!

And yes, day 1 purchase. So much for my studies...

Hellbringer
Apr 9th, 2011, 02:18 PM
you're aware your character stats wont transfer over the ME2 right? its just your choices, just giving you a headsup

yeah, I read about how the leveling won't cross over like I initially thought it would, but apparently ME2 reads your achievements as well. I'm probably going to do a once more with my Soldier since I liked using him, but I want to finish with my renegade engineer first because I saw some funny responses last night before I went to bed.
I love how Bioware puts so much thought into the dialogue options.

Ra1th
Apr 9th, 2011, 02:23 PM
oh man the responses get even better in ME 2, cause you have instant responses, like pushing people out of windows !

Craneses
Apr 15th, 2011, 10:02 AM
oh man the responses get even better in ME 2, cause you have instant responses, like pushing people out of windows !

I am about to start this game tonight, i've waited to long to actually play this and ive ran into a lot of spoilers =(. That's what i get!

Hellbringer
Apr 15th, 2011, 05:56 PM
So, I'm about 10 hours away from finishing my second playthrough (with the renegade engineer), and I couldn't bring myself to "taking care of the bug problem" at the end. I started to go through with it, but I had second thoughts.
I saw Game Informer did an article on ME3 and I'm hoping that because I didn't terminate said group, I can recruit them in the third game. That goes for both of my characters so far.

Craneses
Apr 15th, 2011, 08:16 PM
So, I'm about 10 hours away from finishing my second playthrough (with the renegade engineer), and I couldn't bring myself to "taking care of the bug problem" at the end. I started to go through with it, but I had second thoughts.
I saw Game Informer did an article on ME3 and I'm hoping that because I didn't terminate said group, I can recruit them in the third game. That goes for both of my characters so far.

Can i get a link to that article if its possible? My brother wants to check it out haha.

Hellbringer
Apr 15th, 2011, 09:01 PM
Can i get a link to that article if its possible? My brother wants to check it out haha.

I did a quick look on the website but didn't see an online article. I got their magazine in the mail yesterday and started reading it this morning. Shepard is on the cover of this month's issue, so I guess they wanted it to be the cover story, but in this case, there's not much detail in the story... it's more about bigger pictures than indepth coverage or exclusive.

Craneses
Apr 15th, 2011, 09:05 PM
I did a quick look on the website but didn't see an online article. I got their magazine in the mail yesterday and started reading it this morning. Shepard is on the cover of this month's issue, so I guess they wanted it to be the cover story, but in this case, there's not much detail in the story... it's more about bigger pictures than indepth coverage or exclusive.
Oh alright thanks.

Haha i'll keep this in mind, i forgot about the character transferring. I might have to do a couple playthroughs to know what i want exactly for the 3rd one haha.

Craneses
Apr 22nd, 2011, 03:45 AM
WOW.

Just finished the game, it was epic. Pre ordering the 3rd one asap.

Hellbringer
Apr 22nd, 2011, 06:15 AM
Just finished my 2nd playthrough. Still want to hit it as an adept for the achievement points and I still want to level up my Soldier to 60 for ME2. According to the bioware site, if I were to jump in ME2 with my Soldier, he'd be level 3. If I max him out in ME though, he'll start off as level 5. That's a lot of work just for two more levels, but I want to make sure that I got all the decisions right that I wanted before I get into ME2.

What's funny to me is that my Soldier hit level 50 before we got to Virmire and when I played my 2nd playthrough with my Engineer, I finished the game with her at level 56.

However, I need a break from ME for a couple of days. I have a couple of other games I need to play in the mean time.

BoomerXL
Apr 22nd, 2011, 08:25 PM
I love the Mass Effect games, I've played through both of them multiple times, currently playing through ME2 on Hardcore as an Adept, can't wait for the third one, played through all of the DLC for ME2 as well (Shadow Broker was awesome!!!)

Anyways, I'm new to the site and since I just started listening to the show I decided I'd start posting in the gaming section first until I catch up. Looking forward to getting to know everyone

Craneses
Apr 22nd, 2011, 08:50 PM
Just finished my 2nd playthrough. Still want to hit it as an adept for the achievement points and I still want to level up my Soldier to 60 for ME2. According to the bioware site, if I were to jump in ME2 with my Soldier, he'd be level 3. If I max him out in ME though, he'll start off as level 5. That's a lot of work just for two more levels, but I want to make sure that I got all the decisions right that I wanted before I get into ME2.

What's funny to me is that my Soldier hit level 50 before we got to Virmire and when I played my 2nd playthrough with my Engineer, I finished the game with her at level 56.

However, I need a break from ME for a couple of days. I have a couple of other games I need to play in the mean time.

Haha yeah, im starting my insanity playthrough, should get all the trophies soon.

BoomerXL
Apr 22nd, 2011, 09:25 PM

Not sure if getting to level 60 is all that worth it, level 50 is good enough IMHO as long as you're happy with all your descisions, it's easy to level up in ME2 (not sure if you've played it) but you level up after every major mission. I personally never bothered trying to get to level 60, starting as a level 3 character never made me feel that underpowered, but to each his own

Hellbringer
Apr 28th, 2011, 07:36 PM
Well, my couple of days of rest are over... I started my next campaign with my level 50 Soldier... on Insanity. I think this time I will be taking a break for a long, long time afterwards because...

Craneses
Apr 28th, 2011, 08:43 PM
Can't you get their loyalty without having them in your party. I got everyone's loyalty in one playthrough.

Hellbringer
Apr 28th, 2011, 09:53 PM
Can't you get their loyalty without having them in your party. I got everyone's loyalty in one playthrough.

Loyalty missions are in ME2. In the first one, you get the achievement points by having them in your party for at least 75% of the game. Not playthrough, but the game... which means I have a LOT of sidequests to do with those two in my party.

Craneses
Apr 29th, 2011, 05:52 AM
OHH! I thought you were talking about the second, haha my mistake! That is rough, haha.

Ra1th
May 4th, 2011, 11:45 AM
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/116/1166006p1.html

NOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!

Luna Guardian
May 4th, 2011, 01:05 PM
I don't often say this, but:

Fuck

Britt
May 4th, 2011, 01:50 PM
I don't often say this, but:

Fuck

I KNOW. I miss my Kaidan. I really wanted to spend my holidays with him.

Luna Guardian
May 4th, 2011, 09:24 PM
I KNOW. I miss my Kaidan. I really wanted to spend my holidays with him.

May he rest in peace :p

I miss my sarcastic Krogan warlord

Hellbringer
May 4th, 2011, 09:32 PM
That just means more time I can spend on ME2.

Hellbringer
May 5th, 2011, 07:30 AM
In the mean time, I'm still grinding towards level 60 on ME. I'm about 30k away from level 59, but I still have Feros, Virmire, and Ilos to go through. I just landed on the system that has Listening Post: Alpha on it, so I'm trying to soak up all the side quest XP before I go to Feros. I think this is the last side quest I can do before I head to Feros. I still have the "fan" quest to finish, but I don't remember that one giving XP the last time I did it, just Paragon/Renegade points.

Hellbringer
May 8th, 2011, 05:57 PM
Cerebus update: Level 59 with about 60k away from Level 60. Going to Virmire now and then to Ilos. Doing this on Insanity difficulty with a Soldier is shaping up to be what people warned me about, but not to the (mass) effect that I expected.

BoomerXL
May 8th, 2011, 06:01 PM
Almost done....good luck!

Hellbringer
May 30th, 2011, 02:13 PM
Almost done....good luck!

Finally finished getting every achievement I could for this... minus the 3 from Pinnacle Station. Don't think I'm buying that DLC since I have so start ME2 at some point. Mass Effect is definitely a fun ride, but I think I'm going to continue the series with my Soldier class dude since that Game Informer article about Mass Effect 3 mentioned that the game was leaning more towards a 3rd person shooter and less of an RPG.
'

Walrusgus
Jun 6th, 2011, 02:44 AM
Finally finished getting every achievement I could for this... minus the 3 from Pinnacle Station. Don't think I'm buying that DLC since I have so start ME2 at some point. Mass Effect is definitely a fun ride, but I think I'm going to continue the series with my Soldier class dude since that Game Informer article about Mass Effect 3 mentioned that the game was leaning more towards a 3rd person shooter and less of an RPG.
'

Well done man!

Magrat
Jun 6th, 2011, 11:38 PM
For me, Mass Effect is a major game for me. The first game (which I still played) I sunk over 80 hours into it per character (and i've done 3, soldier, engineer, adept) and found something new every single time I played. I really loved the idea that it would cross into the sequel but more than that loved the idea that the achievements (xbox version) actually affected your later playthroughs. I wish they'd kept that for number two because it aided replayability.
Numer two I've only played through a few times, but am still enjoying the hell out of it. Love the two main addons for ME2. Shadow Broker was awesome and have yet to play through all of The Arrival, as I started it before I'd finished a playthrough and want to do it after I win one of my playthroughs.
ME1 was citadel space.
ME2 was Terminus system.
ME3 needs to be both.
Also, does anyone else think Wrex's asari friend/enemy mentioned in number one is going to be revealed to be Aria T'Loak?

Hellbringer
Jun 7th, 2011, 02:16 PM
Also, does anyone else think Wrex's asari friend/enemy mentioned in number one is going to be revealed to be Aria T'Loak?

I haven't started ME2 yet, but I've heard of Aria from some friends and you're probably right on this.

Dr. Hatchet
Jul 1st, 2011, 07:41 AM
I got my dad to like Mass Effect one and he was never into shooting games and he owns 1 & 2 but I only got 1

Hellbringer
Jul 1st, 2011, 11:15 AM
I got my dad to like Mass Effect one and he was never into shooting games and he owns 1 & 2 but I only got 1

It's the opposite for me. I got my son to like the original Mass Effect while I was finishing up my third or fourth playthrough. I have been meaning to jump on the 2nd one for a couple of weeks now, but really wanted to smack something else around before I start saving the galaxy again.

ghrantt
Jul 1st, 2011, 11:32 AM
Love Mass effect started ME1 right before 2 came out played a soldier and continued with him throughout ME2 Ive started at 1 again this time with a vanguard. so far vg makes for a great time

Hellbringer
Jul 24th, 2011, 08:37 PM
I've done both games as a Soldier and after reading some previews in the gaming mags, it looks like it'll be good to have that class for the next iteration.

Luna Guardian
Jul 24th, 2011, 10:37 PM
Soldier. I like the straight forwardness of it. Also, guns. Also, since I've played through the others as a soldier, might as well play it all the way through

Don Man
Jul 31st, 2011, 07:02 PM
ME3 comes out a few days after my birthday so that is a day 1 purchase and as for the other games the more i play 1 the more i like it. It took me 4 trys to get into it and as for mass effect 2 its one of the best games ive ever played I did 7 playthroughs!
1!

Hellbringer
Aug 3rd, 2011, 05:41 PM
I'm doing my second playthrough on ME2. This time, it's as a renegade engineer because I still have two achievements go after and they both deal with hardcore or insanity level playthrough.

Brevard A. Smith
Aug 4th, 2011, 07:58 AM
I have not beat any of the Mass Effect games. I wish they would have focused more on making the new one multiplayer. Having the Kinect feature is not going to live up to anyones expectations.

MancheeLivesOn
Aug 5th, 2011, 08:56 PM
Kinect capability? Can't i just get a nonKinect capable copy on the original release day?

Hellbringer
Aug 5th, 2011, 11:24 PM
I haven't made up my mind on the Kinect being integrated with ME3. I think I'll wait to have a full opinion on it when the game comes out. I have a Kinect, and so far, everything I've played on it has run the gamut of being a short time gimmick to nice, fun experience.
Dance Central is still the best Kinect game in my mind, and if that part gets incorporated into ME3, then I'll definitely be taking my Shepards out on the dance floor.

Luna Guardian
Aug 6th, 2011, 12:23 AM
I haven't made up my mind on the Kinect being integrated with ME3. I think I'll wait to have a full opinion on it when the game comes out. I have a Kinect, and so far, everything I've played on it has run the gamut of being a short time gimmick to nice, fun experience.
Dance Central is still the best Kinect game in my mind, and if that part gets incorporated into ME3, then I'll definitely be taking my Shepards out on the dance floor.
No, don't! Didn't you see Shepard dancing in the previous game? Keep your dances away from my Mass Effect, you fiends!

Hellbringer
Aug 6th, 2011, 06:27 AM
No, don't! Didn't you see Shepard dancing in the previous game? Keep your dances away from my Mass Effect, you fiends!

All the more reason for me to dance in Shepard's place, haha! I can't dance, but I bet my Funky Chicken is better than his/her side-to-side swaying.

BoomerXL
Aug 7th, 2011, 03:01 PM
...I wish they would have focused more on making the new one multiplayer. Having the Kinect feature is not going to live up to anyones expectations.

*Shudders* I thank God they never added multiplayer....there's absolutely no need for it in Mass Effect...I'm tired of games getting weak multiplayer tacked on because developers don't think single player games can sell

BoomerXL
Aug 7th, 2011, 03:02 PM
Kinect capability? Can't i just get a nonKinect capable copy on the original release day?

The game will come with Kinect capability....though you're not forced to use it...

Hellbringer
Aug 11th, 2011, 10:41 PM
Finally finished Mass Effect 2 on Insanity... as a Renegade Engineer. Ended up with more paragon points that I would have liked, but there's some things in my head that figured into "what would help me in ME3?" gameplay. I can finally put the game down now that I'm 100% complete and I have two files to transfer over later.

Did anyone else save Morinth? I can't figure out what the big deal is about her. Also, I felt like I was playing as Anakin while watching Mace Windu and the Emperor battle during that scene; anyone else?

Luna Guardian
Aug 12th, 2011, 01:41 AM
Also, I felt like I was playing as Anakin while watching Mace Windu and the Emperor battle during that scene; anyone else?

NO! No, you're not allowed to say anything ever again! THAT didn't happen! No!

Hellbringer
Aug 12th, 2011, 03:40 PM
NO! No, you're not allowed to say anything ever again! THAT didn't happen! No!

Not only did I go there, but I drove everyone in the taxi that was scheduled to get to the show! Seriously, though, you didn't see the similarity in the situation between Samara and Morinth with Mace and the Emperor?

mythicgr66
Aug 12th, 2011, 05:09 PM
who here pre-orded the Mass Effect 3 Collectors Edition, i did, it costs almost double the amount but its mass effect 3, so it F'ing worth it :)

Hellbringer
Aug 12th, 2011, 08:16 PM
who here pre-orded the Mass Effect 3 Collectors Edition, i did, it costs almost double the amount but its mass effect 3, so it F'ing worth it :)

It's not that much more back here in the States; it's only 20 dollars more... or 12-14 pounds more, I guess. (I buy a lot of Wolves and Arsenal stuff, so I try to stay up on the exchange rate)

mythicgr66
Aug 13th, 2011, 10:53 AM
It's not that much more back here in the States; it's only 20 dollars more... or 12-14 pounds more, I guess. (I buy a lot of Wolves and Arsenal stuff, so I try to stay up on the exchange rate)

the normal game is £39.99 the Collectors Edition is £69.99 increase of £30 = $48.84

Hellbringer
Aug 13th, 2011, 12:13 PM
the normal game is £39.99 the Collectors Edition is £69.99 increase of £30 = $48.84

That's a steep jump in price. Mass Effect 3 Collector's Edition may be worth the extra quid, though. Come to think of it, if it's called the Collector's Edition, will Shepard be in cahoots with the former Protheans and Harbinger?