PDA

View Full Version : Calender merge?

wooly
Feb 1st, 2011, 06:32 AM
I just noticed we have two calendars. One at the original web site (http://zombiepodcast.com/The_Zombie_Podcast/Calendar.html) which has data in it and then the one linked above (http://zombiepodcast.com/forum/calendar.php) on the new portal which is basically blank. It's probably confusing for new members. Will they merge?

Kc
Feb 1st, 2011, 11:41 AM
I just noticed we have two calendars. One at the original web site (http://zombiepodcast.com/The_Zombie_Podcast/Calendar.html) which has data in it and then the one linked above (http://zombiepodcast.com/forum/calendar.php) on the new portal which is basically blank. It's probably confusing for new members. Will they merge?
Possibly. The problem is the limitation with VBulletin. If you can find a solution, there's a free Moderator spot for you-

mascaria
Feb 1st, 2011, 03:52 PM
Did you charge for the others? :O

Kc
Feb 1st, 2011, 04:22 PM
No, but I wanted to give some incentive if someone wanted to help out. I've run out of time lately for some fixes, so I thought the community might help.

mascaria
Feb 1st, 2011, 05:52 PM
This character limit on posts is killing me sometimes.

Anyway, calender's done.

StepLaugh
Feb 1st, 2011, 06:20 PM
Awesome!!! :)

Kc
Feb 2nd, 2011, 08:09 AM
This character limit on posts is killing me sometimes.

Anyway, calender's done. SWEET! Thank you!
Oh, and you have Moderator Privileges ;)

mascaria
Feb 2nd, 2011, 08:15 AM
Haha thanks.

wooly
Feb 3rd, 2011, 07:28 PM
What got fixed? I'm confused.

I should have researched more before bringing this up, my bad. (I've never customized a vbulletin install, my experience has been with IPB) But I can offer two solutions that avoid tedious duplicate event entry.

I checked around on the vbulletin forums, both the official mod one and the associated sites. Apparently calendar import has been one of the holy grail items on the features wishlist for 10yrs and no one has implemented any easy import of .csv, etc. as of yet.

The first is to simply disregard the vbulletin calendar and change the link in the "breadcrumbs" header to point to the original google calendar page. This would make navigation weird since it takes you out of the forum portal structure and back to the main site.

A better solution would be to have the calendar link in the forum header link to a new static content page on which has an embedded copy of the gcal applet copied from http://zombiepodcast.com/The_Zombie_Podcast/Calendar.html but placed within the /forum subdir so it doesn't take the user out of the navigation context.

Both of these involve some custom php work but are do-able according to the vb support forums. However, running custom code apparently voids the corporate support from vb, which is bad unless we have our own expert on the payroll..(wish I could help with that, but I'm no php expert)

It would probably be easier to just turn of the vb calendar to avoid confusion :)

Sorry, thought it would be a simple fix when I suggested it. I had no idea that vb's cal had zero support for even simple csv or ical import. There are a lot of angry license holders posting on their support forums over this issue. Such beautiful forum code but the calendar widget hasn't been updated in years.. it's a shame.

/geek mode off/ - didn't mean to nitpick. Back to fanboy mode :)

StepLaugh
Feb 3rd, 2011, 07:56 PM
Yeah, you have some good points. I'll be able to hopefully be able to do something about it this weekend.

mascaria
Feb 3rd, 2011, 08:07 PM
But I already manually entered in all the dates of the pod cast releases. Manually, BY HAND!

Edit: I realize after the fact that not everyone gets my humor. The above protest is a joke.

I guess that I don't understand what sort of information you're looking for? When you click the Calendar link under the top tool bar it brings up the WA release calendar which seems to be a vB thing. It could very well be able to import or what ever, but I just added in the release dates manually. But that's not the information you were looking for?

Maybe I'm confused as to what you wanted to show in the calendar?

wooly
Feb 3rd, 2011, 08:27 PM
I can't see them, hence the confusion. All I get is forum member birthdays. Are there settings for the events like public/private or viewable by certain user groups?

I tried to create an event to check but I don't have access. The ones you manually added must be hidden to normal users by the permissions system? Just guessing here but it seems likely.

mascaria
Feb 3rd, 2011, 08:34 PM
I can't see them, hence the confusion. All I get is forum member birthdays. Are there settings for the events like public/private or viewable by certain user groups?

That's probably what it is. vB has ridiculous permissions settings.

Kc
Feb 4th, 2011, 08:35 AM

I tried to create an event to check but I don't have access. The ones you manually added must be hidden to normal users by the permissions system? Just guessing here but it seems likely.
The fact that vB doesn't have an iCal import is ridiculous. There are so many features that seem really simple that aren't :(

StepLaugh
Feb 4th, 2011, 02:37 PM
And Kc, there is no way we can add them right?

Kc
Feb 4th, 2011, 09:44 PM
And Kc, there is no way we can add them right?

iCal Calendars? No. No way. BUT we can just use the one Mascaria manually updated-

StepLaugh
Feb 5th, 2011, 12:56 PM
I'll try and figure out a way to make it easier to see.