PDA

View Full Version : Ground Zero: The infection that ended society. How Did it Start?

Funny Muffins
Feb 26th, 2011, 02:56 AM
Ground Zero: The infection that ended society.

Obviously since none have dared attempt this topic yet, I shall venture into the path of insanity and hardcore flaming to brief you into my beliefs about how the end of the world may have occurred.

Stage One: The Outbreak

It occurred rapidly we all know this from the episodes and even Angel deduced the spread to have encompassed the entire state within the matter of a single day (Ch. 4-3; 3:49). What is not known currently is however the entire theme of this thread, how did the infection encompass the world in a manner of possibly one day? Evidence of this fact is given in (Ch. 2-3; 20:55) so it becomes obvious that the infection is now across the Atlantic and quickly spreading it's way across Euro/Asia with Hawaii being at the end of our list of known infected areas.

Assuming that it was an airborne infection could result in the entire population's destruction within the radius of ground zero, even if you allow for a certain percentage of people who are immune or able to escape from ground zero this would still leave a decent amount of people that might have survived only to be possibly eaten by the newly turned skin muncher on your right. If you would be one of those who subscribe to this theory then one might believe they would find a haze or heavy particle layer in the air for a time after detonation and unless specifically designed for humans it might be turning all sorts of things into mindless freaks. (Ch. 11-2; 6:15)This may help in proving this point of mine assuming we ever discover what was found in/around Ground Zero by The Other Tower. However since there is no real evidence of this happening yet it points further toward the possibility that this catastrophe could be engineered by some power yet to be revealed to us. Radon Labs engineered perhaps? (Ch. 3-3; 3:38) Unless of course you prefer to subscribe to the first theory (Ch. 1-1; 2:24) and take those loud explosions overheard from inside the classroom to be some sort of explosion or release of a toxin of some type.

While believable and plausible that a weaponized virus was created and launched via multiple warheads thus circumnavigating the globe and striking deep into multiple cities it may not be what caused this incident.

That's where you come in!!
I need outside advice/ideas/ and hell even criticism so hopefully someone can deliver!
Delayed incubation period seems likely, but then again where and when could this have begun?

Stage Two: Variables

Many variables exist in this plan of say a coordinated attack and one of them is Hawaii, it is clear that the zombies on that island seem to have a varied personality where instead of a peaceful islander you great a hyper-aggressive bone crushing infected islander. This variation in personality could be due to a number of factors: different viral strains, varied environmental conditions, host personality and mental condition at the time of infection. The zombies would for one fact, need to swim for their food for a while which may have really pissed them off, ha.

Viruses tend to have a nasty habit of mutating quickly given the correct conditions, but let's look into the possibility that the strain is the same in all parts of the world at the beginning of this outbreak. We must still account for the variation in “class” or “type” of infection which leads back to a mutation of said virus whether that may relate back into genetic differences in the host or environmental conditions such as additional food in a given environment that would be needed for those big tanks called behemoths that are running through buildings and the like. While obviously the behemoths are in a class of their own, they don't seem to take orders from INK or the smarter infected and they even seem to keep the mindless dead heads a fair distance away from their hulking mass according to Skittles. This may be due to fear or respect but is still unverifiable at this point, I think it would also be interesting to find out if the Behemoths were ever in Hawaii...

While (Ch. 8-3; 2:50) has a behemoth standing “guard” at the pumping station the real question is: did it just happen to find those humans that were running the water station by the noise/scents being generated from the station itself or was it under orders to assume it's post and terminate the water supply for the remaining residents in the area? If we assume that behemoths are taking orders just like the jumpers/runners/and others then we may have a serious problem about to reveal itself, an undead army with a semi coherent grip on reality and the ability to follow orders of a paranoid schizophrenic who seems to have a very solid grip on reality and many of his upper cognitive abilities still intact such as his use of reasoning and communication. (Ch. 11-1: 7:25)

Stage Three: The Exceptionals

INK A.K.A Bill Roberts
It's clear that INK is special, I shall not get into that area so much as there are other threads dedicated to him. It seems that given we accept his schizophrenia as very much real and he is in fact a very evil person before Z-Day then we must factor in his infection into his mental disorder. Being a paranoid schizophrenic he would be suffering, most likely, from delusions, possibility of hallucinations, and even as usual paranoid behaviors and thoughts. If you listen closely to (Ch. 2-3; 20:55) you can easily deduce that what ever was done a year before the outbreak occurred was enough to completely devastate the family of the victim(s) he killed. Someone noted previously on this forum that he may have been practicing cannibalism (This was suggested by RamblinMike) even back a year ago however, it is my belief that if he was practicing cannibalism then he was doing it sans-infection.

I don't see him as genetically different, and thus I don't believe that he created this whole incident by a few bites, if anything he is just another killer turned infected super zombie.
However, I never said he might not know how this all began...

Skittles
This character is key for my theories, he is the missing link so to speak between both towers and Z-Day. He obviously recognized Kalani, and as they describe that hunk of lard he sounds like he is just that a hunk 'o' lard who can't seem to run 200 meters in a row and thus should stick out like a fat man in a little coat.
(Side note: It is a good thing however that a drunk Kellie likes him, because I have a particular disgust for how he comes across my speakers. He may or may not be shifty but he obviously isn't one of my core characters of interest at this point in time.)

Skittles as a name alone was just something that Angel made up on the fly sure, but Skittles and Schizo are similar enough in pronunciation to foster the flames of doubt in my wickedly twisted mind, why is it that Skittles isn't all there but yet he is completely and totally able to function alone in the middle of an undead apocalypse? He has the mental facilities to remember and even problem solve in the middle of extremely stressful situations which I shouldn't need list at this point but I will (A. Ch. 9-1; 12:40 + B. Ch. 17-3; 7:10). Could he possibly be experiencing some sort of infection on some level, or is he just off his rocker a tad? Was he at Ground Zero originally and suffered some side effect? Was he with the recon team that was visiting Ground Zero from The Other Tower? It wouldn't be a far off wager to assume that Skittles has a severe case of obsessive compulsive disorder as well or some other factor that I have overlooked that may be involved with his uncanny ability to survive alone.

Heck, maybe one of the missiles landed on Skittles head, that would explain a lot...
HA!

Please keep this thread clean, no one line responses please!
Let's conduct this with some level of formality so let's think our responses over, mmm'kay?!
Thank you for your time!

nikvoodoo
Feb 26th, 2011, 08:22 AM
Ok, I'll join you in a flame war.

Here's the hard part....I vote against the virus being airborne because that would mean everyone alive now is immune, so should have no fear of turning if they were attacked. But Tommy would have been "immune" to a virus, but turned none the less. But without it being airborne, I have no idea how it could be unleashed on a global scale. Unless it started dormant and was transmitted by air, then mutated and can now only be transmitted by fluid/contact I'm at a loss as to how it actually happens.

And to throw a wrench in your dispersion via explosion idea: the most effective way to disperse anything that is intended to reach a large swath of a population is to explode it higher in the atmosphere. Michael immediately recognized the sounds of the explosions which mimicked what he heard in Iraq and Afghanistan. I'm putting my money behind more traditional explosions that could have occurred: Car explosion, Gas station, or I'll even grant an over-reactive formal response (police, military). Not to mention, the explosion would have to be the trigger that started all of it. That would mean the news coverage of the riot Michael sees at college would have to be instantly there. It takes longer than an instant for news coverage teams to get to an area and get set up for live shots.

In order to go from the scarred/ambling idiot zombies to the specialized class of zombie: the virus would have to undergo a rapid mutation. The other strange thing to note: as all hell is breaking loose Michael sees the stupid ambling ones that wrecked the guy honking his horn. But at the same time, we get from the journals of other Tower members that they were already being hunted by smell (ie the woman who was hiding in her closet). So maybe what we're looking for at ground zero is multiple strains of virus unleashing creating our special types.

Behemoths don't seem to take orders, but one was in the arena and was coexisting with Smart Ones. So unless we are meant to forget the fact that a Behemoth was in the arena (which isn't the case because Arrowhead just made a reappearance in Chapter 18), Behemoths can apparently live among normal and smart ones.

I don't think Ink necessarily had to be practicing cannibalism. Murdering anyone can devastate a family. It doesn't mean that he did anything more than murder a whole bunch of people in particularly gruesome way. He could have tried to recreate the Jack the Ripper murders except used nice suburban girls instead of hookers. And once again, it has never been confirmed in the story (only theorized on the forums) that Ink is a character we have met.

I know I covered a different possibility as to why Skittles could recognize Kalani in the Hawaii thread in theories. Again, we do not know for fact where Skittles came from. Might he have been traumatized by watching all his friends in the Other Tower die and that's why he is how is? Sure. Might he have already had something wrong with him and watched all his friends in a mental institution die? Prove to me from story evidence that's not the case. So it's just as likely that Skittles saw Kalani being dragged into the arena from whatever hiding spot he had at the time.

As to why Skittles is able to function and survive in an apocalypse setting: I don't think we can know that right now. He is paranoid enough that he won't trust anyone (in the sense you and I think of it), and his paranoia keeps him from making too many mistakes. He obviously has a decent memory (as he's able to recount to Angel and Kalani all he knows about the zombies), is a detailed oriented observer and can probably recognize when things don't seem right. By living and surviving among the zombies, he's the most qualified survivor in the series.

Hollomandious
Feb 26th, 2011, 09:23 AM
Ok, I'll join you in a flame war.

Lets roll. (ha ha, 1 line response!!!)

Here's the hard part....I vote against the virus being airborne because that would mean everyone alive now is immune, so should have no fear of turning if they were attacked. But Tommy would have been "immune" to a virus, but turned none the less. But without it being airborne, I have no idea how it could be unleashed on a global scale. Unless it started dormant and was transmitted by air, then mutated and can now only be transmitted by fluid/contact I'm at a loss as to how it actually happens.

I agree as well. I'm thinking someone was infected, maybe just someone covertly poking someone, or someone infected was released, and then bam, with each unsuspecting victim he attacks, it's just another infected.

And to throw a wrench in your dispersion via explosion idea: the most effective way to disperse anything that is intended to reach a large swath of a population is to explode it higher in the atmosphere. Michael immediately recognized the sounds of the explosions which mimicked what he heard in Iraq and Afghanistan. I'm putting my money behind more traditional explosions that could have occurred: Car explosion, Gas station, or I'll even grant an over-reactive formal response (police, military). Not to mention, the explosion would have to be the trigger that started all of it. That would mean the news coverage of the riot Michael sees at college would have to be instantly there. It takes longer than an instant for news coverage teams to get to an area and get set up for live shots.

I second your motion. (haha, 2nd 1 sentence response.)

Behemoths don't seem to take orders, but one was in the arena and was coexisting with Smart Ones. So unless we are meant to forget the fact that a Behemoth was in the arena (which isn't the case because Arrowhead just made a reappearance in Chapter 18), Behemoths can apparently live among normal and smart ones.

Skittles also mentioned that the normals stay away from the big ones. Maybe Ink just has some kind of magic touch that makes them all live in harmony. Also, the one in the arena was most likely fed. Maybe the big ones in the field are hungry and will eat the normals, so the normals stay away.

I don't think Ink necessarily had to be practicing cannibalism. Murdering anyone can devastate a family. It doesn't mean that he did anything more than murder a whole bunch of people in particularly gruesome way. He could have tried to recreate the Jack the Ripper murders except used nice suburban girls instead of hookers. And once again, it has never been confirmed in the story (only theorized on the forums) that Ink is a character we have met.

I don't remember every hearing anything about cannibalism.

Not confirmed?!? The story on the DVR talks about Ink/Bill Roberts, and that he is covered in tattoos, and he was being transported to a mental health facility that is 10 miles away (per Saul in Chap1). There's too many things pointing to him being the crazy super Zombie. And following the logic of "smarter you are in life, the smarter you are in "un"death). Crazy killers are usually kinda smart, and thus he'd be a smart one (or super smart one as it seems to be).

I know I covered a different possibility as to why Skittles could recognize Kalani in the Hawaii thread in theories. Again, we do not know for fact where Skittles came from. Might he have been traumatized by watching all his friends in the Other Tower die and that's why he is how is? Sure. Might he have already had something wrong with him and watched all his friends in a mental institution die? Prove to me from story evidence that's not the case. So it's just as likely that Skittles saw Kalani being dragged into the arena from whatever hiding spot he had at the time.

I've been thinking about this one. Skittles was in the other tower, he said he was. Kalani also said he was in the other tower. Skittles was probably there first, and paid attention to the new arrivals, whereas Kalani was new and had alot of things to take in when arriving, and most likely didn't notice him.

As to why Skittles is able to function and survive in an apocalypse setting: I don't think we can know that right now. He is paranoid enough that he won't trust anyone (in the sense you and I think of it), and his paranoia keeps him from making too many mistakes. He obviously has a decent memory (as he's able to recount to Angel and Kalani all he knows about the zombies), is a detailed oriented observer and can probably recognize when things don't seem right. By living and surviving among the zombies, he's the most qualified survivor in the series.

Skittles is the shit. Wonder if maybe he'll be the one to bring down Ink? (ha ha, 3rd one line response).

nikvoodoo
Feb 26th, 2011, 10:28 AM
Not confirmed?!? The story on the DVR talks about Ink/Bill Roberts, and that he is covered in tattoos, and he was being transported to a mental health facility that is 10 miles away (per Saul in Chap1). There's too many things pointing to him being the crazy super Zombie. And following the logic of "smarter you are in life, the smarter you are in "un"death). Crazy killers are usually kinda smart, and thus he'd be a smart one (or super smart one as it seems to be).

I've been thinking about this one. Skittles was in the other tower, he said he was. Kalani also said he was in the other tower. Skittles was probably there first, and paid attention to the new arrivals, whereas Kalani was new and had alot of things to take in when arriving, and most likely didn't notice him.

Yes, there are strong indications that Ink and the One With the Markings/The Colored One are in fact Ink. The one that assaulted the Tower and killed Paul could have very well been Ink. But it has not been confirmed in the story. Therefore, it's theory. It's a theory with some strong evidence, but its still just a theory.

Skittles never said he was in the other tower.

Funny Muffins
Feb 26th, 2011, 11:36 AM

Boom, my thoughts exactly. Seems like he was too busy being concerned with something else..
Eating perhaps?
HA!

Could Skittles be infected on some level?
Sure he has stories of him avoiding all sorts of dead heads, but when have we seen this? Aside for the Molotov we are forced to assume he is being sincere which is fine with me, but could he be the wanderer that is actually somehow being protected or overlooked by the deadheads?
(Far out there indeed... Why not?)

I'm assuming that if it was an airborne infection then yes a high altitude release would net the greatest result of damage on the populace however, just as fallout travels on the wind currents, so should a toxin cloud. Notoriously speaking, when most toxic bombs and missiles release their juice a certain amount would be required to take effect on individuals. This amount could be so finite and impossible to notice that many people could have changed before they hit the ground. While possible that it would be something of this variety that caused the infection it is looking less likely based upon some of the evidence you provided earlier Nik.

I'm trying to compare the infection with something like Sulfur mustard gas of yesterday, while different there might be some type of similarity in is dispersal and physical manifestations, Sulfur mustard gas can be taken in via the skin alone leading to severe chemical burns and blistering which while very debilitating only results in death for those who are more than 50% infected. Individuals who are actually just mildly exposed recover after taking their blows with blistering and burning. Researching for this posting something just dawned on me:

What if what ever is turning these infected is causing the scaring that is visible on their bodies aswell?
I automatically assumed that the infected deadheads running past Michael on the 5 were scared up because frankly speaking, they had the **** kicked out of them whilst infecting the masses, however, what if the scars are due to a physical manifestation of a toxin?

How's that for a theory...

^__^

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Feb 26th, 2011, 04:03 PM
I thought we already discussed the start of the infection in another thread? Anyway, Airborne it cannot be. In order for it to be in multiple countries at the same time, It had to have one local point in each country. Blood born infections are normally started by live vectors like "skeetas." Not in this case because of the quickness and trans global expansive nature.
That's where my "Umbrella" company theory comes in. The biotech firm was doing experiments ala Tuskegee. Someone exploited the security protocols and the prisoners ran amok. G Poof! One trans global zombie fest.

Funny Muffins
Feb 26th, 2011, 08:06 PM
If your idea is to be plausible you will need to establish that where ever these zombies may have begun their eat-a-thon from it would be easy to contain, not just by safeguards alone but by geography itself.

Even if the lab was directly beneath Los Angeles how could rioting be occurring simultaneously in the following cities:

Los Angeles
San Diego

We then had a few episodes to envision Southern California wiped off the map, then in 2-3 we learned of:

LA/SD Again
Detroit
Chicago
Miami
New York
Houston
Internationally Also Guaranteed, to what extent unknown.

If you think that the infection can be in all these locations in a manner of a few days with out separate outbreaks, then we may have a serious problem... (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=US-101+S&daddr=I-5+S+to:I-610+E+to:Laight+St+to:I-90+W%2FI-94+W+to:M-10+S+to:FL-112+W&geocode=FSRzBwIdthb0-A%3BFTSG8wEdMggE-Q%3BFXjsxgEdRnlQ-g%3BFd5cbQId4MSW-w%3BFbLCfgId2KfG-g%3BFVTihQIdaqIM-w%3BFZzdiQEd9KE3-w&hl=en&mra=mi&mrsp=6&sz=7&sll=27.264396,-82.144775&sspn=5.935637,13.392334&ie=UTF8&ll=38.203655,-91.933594&spn=41.60128,107.138672&t=h&z=4)

Flying hell beasts...?!

Ra1th
Feb 26th, 2011, 08:59 PM
nikvoodoo had come up with a theory involving a benign stream of the virus spreading worldwide, then the strand mutates after it's infected a large number of people, the mutation would basically cause the sickness that creates the zombies. After turning the initial base, the originally turned would turn the rest.

i like the idea of the cause being a flu vaccine. There could have been an unseen flaw in the production of the vaccine, and although it may act as a flue vaccine, there was a side effect of zombie. flu vaccines could have been in extremely high demand, (we saw this with the swine flu epidemic) and there wouldnt be enough for everyone, so only a few people could actually receive the vaccine. Let's say the after maybe a week or so the illness kicks in and boom apocalypse. so maybe 30 percent of the people who were infected because the recieved the flu vaccine turned into the mindless drone zombies and they tore into the other 70 percent of the population who were so caught of guard that the majority was wiped out. of course there is a problem with this theory, and that is because we know that santa ana, had time to react, the initial infection began in LA and then spread from there, so that's a problem. It could be that the flu vaccines were dropped off at the major cities, and those cities began to distribute the flu shots immedietely, and while the rest of the flu shots were on the way to the smaller cities and towns around them, so the people in LA, NY, Miami, Detroit, etc, got hit first (which also means that the virus acts very quickly like within an hour or so (if you're wondering why the scientists who created the serum didnt catch the zombifying side effect, take note of the thalydamide incident, back in the 70s i think? well anyway, scientists came up with this birth control that worked for the test animals, but they hadnt tested it on humans, so the result was that the people who used thalydamide ended up having children with hideous birth defects, i mean after this incident there were strict rules put in place so that this wouldnt happen again, but if there was a panic and an extreme demand for the vaccine, then maybe this was a possibility, just plain lack of testing lead to zombies))

Triggernator
Feb 28th, 2011, 10:33 AM
The airborne virus is kinda a no go in my books. If it was then people would be infected in the streets randomly, but it seems like all of the infections were from fluid exposure. The dormant virus that then erupted seems a good idea as the Hawaiian Zombies seem "kinda meaner" this implies a variation in the zombie virus, possibly leading to different basic zombie types. What I would kinda of like to know is how the different "special" zombies "evolved" there is a possiblity that they may just be mutant zombies, however they could be "older" zombies that were infected prior to the outbreak (? and research on / mutated by someone ?) and then released during the outbreak. The Big Ones would have to eat a large amount of flesh to get to the size that they are judging by the description of them and this would mean that they were either very fat buggers or ate a lot of corpses (or possibly other zombies?). I mean you can't just generate muscle mass and they have to eat something and i don't exactly see them drinking protein shakes..

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Feb 28th, 2011, 10:56 AM
Ra1th,

I'm digging the Flu shot angle! BUT... flu seasons are gonna differ overseas. Still a great theory.

j0be
Feb 28th, 2011, 11:43 AM
If the virus had a delay to it, I have an awesome plausible transmission method. I saw this awful/awesome scifi movie a long time ago (can't remember much about it) where a biological virus was released in a flight attendants lounge in an airport. These flight attendants were traveling all over the world, and this allows the virus to travel with them.

j0be
Feb 28th, 2011, 11:58 AM
If you think that the infection can be in all these locations in a manner of a few days with out separate outbreaks, then we may have a serious problem... (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=US-101+S&daddr=I-5+S+to:I-610+E+to:Laight+St+to:I-90+W%2FI-94+W+to:M-10+S+to:FL-112+W&geocode=FSRzBwIdthb0-A%3BFTSG8wEdMggE-Q%3BFXjsxgEdRnlQ-g%3BFd5cbQId4MSW-w%3BFbLCfgId2KfG-g%3BFVTihQIdaqIM-w%3BFZzdiQEd9KE3-w&hl=en&mra=mi&mrsp=6&sz=7&sll=27.264396,-82.144775&sspn=5.935637,13.392334&ie=UTF8&ll=38.203655,-91.933594&spn=41.60128,107.138672&t=h&z=4)

There is reasons to think this plausible. If you knock out all the stops except the western most to the eastern most, and set the directions to walking, the miles are only 2800 miles. In 5-1 we learn that they can run up to 50 mph. I forget the exact chapter, but I believe it was Kalani also mentioned that they didn't get tired swimming between islands. Boil that down to 2800mi/50mph = 2.3 days (http://www.google.com/search?q=2800mi%2F50mph). Semi-plausible if you ask me.

Eviebae
Feb 28th, 2011, 01:38 PM
The airborne virus is kinda a no go in my books. If it was then people would be infected in the streets randomly, but it seems like all of the infections were from fluid exposure. The dormant virus that then erupted seems a good idea as the Hawaiian Zombies seem "kinda meaner" this implies a variation in the zombie virus, possibly leading to different basic zombie types. What I would kinda of like to know is how the different "special" zombies "evolved" there is a possiblity that they may just be mutant zombies, however they could be "older" zombies that were infected prior to the outbreak (? and research on / mutated by someone ?) and then released during the outbreak. The Big Ones would have to eat a large amount of flesh to get to the size that they are judging by the description of them and this would mean that they were either very fat buggers or ate a lot of corpses (or possibly other zombies?). I mean you can't just generate muscle mass and they have to eat something and i don't exactly see them drinking protein shakes..

The big guys being the earliest infected seems like a good idea. I was also thinking they had eaten other zombies and got more of a mutagen load that way. They seem the predators of the "new" food chain. That would explain why the regular zombies run from them unless their fearless leader is there.

One tentative theory I have is that if was a biological attack, one way to save on clean up is by having the zombies turn on each other when the food supply dries up. The zombies that survive are bigger and eventually can't sustain their bulk and starve (like the water zombies).

Another one is that it was an experimental gene therapy meant to cure mental illness that got out of hand. The smarter zombies were actually more mentally ill. I like that idea so much I'm almost hoping that's not the case.

I'm sort of expecting the Skittles to have been one of the researchers or terrorists.

cycogod
Feb 28th, 2011, 07:12 PM
kinda goin down the 12 Monkeys movie storyline. it's man made -

Teethingbiscuit
Feb 28th, 2011, 07:30 PM
Funny, I thought of the original short story of "I am Legend".

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Mar 1st, 2011, 07:27 AM
Muffins,

All you need is multiple labs or global tech partners/sub labs. All running the same security protocols in the containment areas. Let's just say the same contractor was awarded the contract for that Bio Tech firm. So, everywhere you have a lab, you have that same contractor responisble for all non physical security measures..
You get a hacker or group of hackers to release a virus and it opens all the rooms the patients are in.. they run amok all at the same time.
A biological attack can be pulled off simultaneously and transnationally, but the logistics to do so, are damn near impossible.
An electronic signal is the most probably way because distance has no effect on it.
Flight attendents aren't going to reach each country at the same time due to distance and flight times. Germany is an 8 hour flight from NYC, Italy is around 10 hours, reaching Asia from the LA is around 11 hours and reaching the middle east from NYC is even longer.. At the rate they turn, the planes would be "landing" with everyone dead or undead except the pilots.

Funny Muffins
Mar 1st, 2011, 10:05 AM
2800mi/50mph = 2.3 days[/URL]. Semi-plausible if you ask me.
Assuming that they had orders from their leader, (first infected vampire/hive mind control) to set off for Florida without ever stopping to eat/kill/encircle everyone they meet along the way.

New theory: Zombies feel pain (hiding/blocking), they sleep (Ch.2), then why wouldn't they get tired?

Everyone can walk a mile, how many can sprint a mile all out?
INK (For those thickheaded doubters) "Pinstripe" was able to run away from the tower at what some people believe to be almost 90 miles per hour. Last I checked Michael was still human, and could have called out a varying distance or best yet should we verify the math used resulting in such a speed. Ill start working on the velocity later on..

===========

The big guys being the earliest infected seems like a good idea. I was also thinking they had eaten other zombies and got more of a mutagen load that way. They seem the predators of the "new" food chain. That would explain why the regular zombies run from them unless their fearless leader is there.

One tentative theory I have is that if was a biological attack, one way to save on clean up is by having the zombies turn on each other when the food supply dries up. The zombies that survive are bigger and eventually can't sustain their bulk and starve (like the water zombies).

Another one is that it was an experimental gene therapy meant to cure mental illness that got out of hand. The smarter zombies were actually more mentally ill. I like that idea so much I'm almost hoping that's not the case.

I'm sort of expecting the Skittles to have been one of the researchers or terrorists.
Explain your end of the world Skittles terror plot!
DO IT!
=====
Eviebae seems like you nailed it there with the increased mutagen intake from say cannibalism of zombies that may trigger serious changes in the genetic makeup of said infected being ultimately leading to behemoths. Multiplying the effects of the infection for example might lead to more aggressive/faster metabolizing monsters.
I'm sure the infected realize that the behemoths are eating masheens and stay away from them as the big baddies will most likely agro on anything that moves/makes noise/looks like food.
(Think Gear of War style Berserkers!)

*EDIT* The water infected are regular infected, just swimming for food.
Odds are they do starve just like anything else once it has exhausted it's food source.
Humans, they are the only real important resource left in this world of KC's.
Food/Water/Weapons will be around in various forms (animals live=food for life)

Gene modification to mental patients?!
Holy crap, good idea.
Question is would they conduct crazy gene therapy on INK just after trail?
Question two, would you see him as patient zero?
==========

Funny, I thought of the original short story of "I am Legend".

Oh snaps!
It is kinda like that, in the cinema version the dog changed thought.
Scary thoughts there!
===

Muffins,
All you need is multiple labs or global tech partners/sub labs. All running the same security protocols in the containment areas. An electronic signal is the most probably way because distance has no effect on it.
Flight attendants aren't going to reach each country at the same time due to distance and flight times. Germany is an 8 hour flight from NYC, Italy is around 10 hours, reaching Asia from the LA is around 11 hours and reaching the middle east from NYC is even longer.. At the rate they turn, the planes would be "landing" with everyone dead or undead except the pilots.

I have this vision of a pilot and copilot of a major airline landing in some random airport and opening the door without checking for skin munchers first, I considered that but one plane full of monsters might be containable after say 11 hours to prepare from someplace like LA.
I think the simultaneous release from multiple labs (bombs/patient zeros?) seems most logical.
One location in one place leaving the entire world infected is such a stretch for me right now.

Hackers eh?
That would be a new angle I haven't considered.
Good work Crow!

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Mar 1st, 2011, 11:27 AM
Yep, Hackers. I originally thought about one hacker, but a group of activists in multiple states and countries could all hit the "button" for an attack at the same time with an email or chat room function. They'd use Zulu time for their time hack, so they're not dealing with time zones.
Once the time hit, then they launch the virus to shut down the facilities. The patients restraints pop, the doors unlock, and they get'ta chomping and kill'n. The facility is wide open and overrun in minutes, then they're out in the streets having lunch.
Someone may ask, "why would hackers do that?"
I say that maybe they noticed homeless people getting kidnapped from the streets...or family members going in for treatment, but turn up dead.....OR, better yet, you have a group of people who are "followers" of Ink ala Charles Manson or Aum Shinrikyo.

Funny Muffins
Mar 1st, 2011, 02:51 PM
So should we press into the idea of Radon Labs being the Umbrella Corp. of the show?
Having multiple labs around the world and so on..
Still pretty early on to guess at this stuff, but eventually we may be rewarded with finding out we were correct way back when...

I still hold hope that some evil empire isn't behind this...

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Mar 2nd, 2011, 12:10 PM
Well, I've been reading the USAID Field Operations Guide for the last 2 hours because my workstation was down for 6 of my 10 hour day. I have to say I can't wait to see what KC comes up with.. IF, he chooses to explain it at all.

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Mar 2nd, 2011, 12:12 PM
oh wait.. the reason I brought up the guide for Disaster Assessment and Response is because it has all the ways an outbreak turns into an epidimec and so forth..

Eviebae
Mar 6th, 2011, 08:33 PM
So far, only humans are affected--a non-mutated cat was specifically mentioned as getting away from a Behemoth.

The foragers who went near what they thought was ground zero were said to get nauseous. Radiation? Radio Waves? Microwaves?

There were strange lifeforms near ground zero, but we don't know what that means. Could be mutations, could be from other dimensions (like Stephen King's The Fog) or planets (like War Of The Worlds).

It's only spread by direct contact between infected blood and cuts/openings in the skin.

Infects very quickly

It results in different types of mutations in humans

Another theory which would be interesting is if the infection was spread in an inert state in tattoo ink and activated by a certain frequency.

Funny Muffins
Mar 6th, 2011, 09:16 PM
Another theory which would be interesting is if the infection was spread in an inert state in tattoo ink and activated by a certain frequency.

Hahah! Awesome theory!
I'm so stoked I created this thread.

What would trigger the frequency?
Some radio waves?

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Mar 7th, 2011, 07:28 AM
Radiation.

Eviebae
Mar 7th, 2011, 06:30 PM
Microwaves, or radio waves would be my favorite. If this is meant to clear off humans ala The Screwfly Solution (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Screwfly_Solution), it's the least damaging to the environment.

Adventureless_Hero
Mar 10th, 2011, 06:10 AM
I lean heavily towards an alien virus released at strategic points around the globe. It sounds a bit screwy but it seems like a simple solution to a very complex scenario. Alien creatures we either already living among us and introducing the virus, perhaps even with the help of goverment agencies with the promise of creating superhuman soldiers (Behemoths). When the alien creatures felt the time to strike was right they initiated order 66 (Star Wars reference); the virus was released turning a great number of humans on every landmass supporting human life into these zombies, or more accurately, alien slaves.

Then you have pure aliens commanding the hordes, which is where the one with markings comes in. I also feel that the nausia experienced at the ground zero locations could be alien technology protecting settlements on Earth. It's either emiting a signal that causes nausia, or a the virus is heavily concentrated there to a point where inhalation of it causes these sick feelings.

I'm very likely wrong on a few of the details, but you more or less get my theory. I'm ready for anyone to find any holes in it and help me refine it or forget it all together, but for the time being this is what I think makes the most sense.

Funny Muffins
Mar 10th, 2011, 10:50 AM
Now that my friend, is an original idea!
Aside from the inner nerd screaming out when I read Order.66 that is a new and unexpected prediction for how the world may have ended!!

Good work!

INK as an ALIEN?!
Even just a mind control human or something crazy!

My lord...

scary..

Eviebae
Mar 10th, 2011, 04:25 PM
It's either emitting a signal that causes nausea, or a the virus is heavily concentrated there to a point where inhalation of it causes these sick feelings.

It causes nausea, but not infection. Either it's the virus that is no longer active, or it's only one part of the equation.

Besides a virus, it could also be nano technology.

Hollomandious
Mar 10th, 2011, 05:28 PM
It causes nausea, but not infection. Either it's the virus that is no longer active, or it's only one part of the equation.

Besides a virus, it could also be nano technology.

How about, "kc is from a parallel universe where he infected everyone and made them write in the journals so he could then come to our universe via his universe hopper and make a kick ass audio drama and get praise from all of us."

Onslaught
Mar 10th, 2011, 05:41 PM
Microwaves, or radio waves would be my favorite. If this is meant to clear off humans ala The Screwfly Solution (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Screwfly_Solution), it's the least damaging to the environment.
Time to pick up the ol' bat and smash my radio and microwave then.

Really it would suck if any type of wave did cause it.

This reminds me of the book Cell, by Stephen King, anyone read it?

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Mar 11th, 2011, 06:24 AM
I'm kinda digging the Nanotech theory. I'd go one step further and say the nanobytes had corrupted programing. The biotech company was using mental patients as test subjects in the hope of curing various mental illnesses.
Nah.. that sounds too "We are the worldish."
It could also be a combintation of a virus and bacteria doing something to the body.

Funny Muffins
Mar 11th, 2011, 08:26 AM
Like the idea of Nanotech but doesn't seem likely at this point, then again could be completely wrong.
If it got out of hand I could see it being possible, but if some guy in a basement is controlling nanorobots on all the zeds then that is too much for me to believe.
Only KC knows and doubt he will tell us at this point.
I can only imagine that if it was Nanotech then we might have come across some primer first to warm us up to the fact. Radon labs sure could be Nanotech but if I were to guess right now I feel more of a biological themed issue at this point (Virus, bacteria (maybe)) maybe even just a mutated strain of a heavy fever or illness that causes internal swelling of organs like that of the brain thereby changing the behavior of the infected individual into these infected.

How about, "kc is from a parallel universe where he infected everyone and made them write in the journals so he could then come to our universe via his universe hopper and make a kick ass audio drama and get praise from all of us."

How about you save that kinda stuff for another thready...?
Like the ass kissing section called EPISODE DISCUSSION.
Or your drug rehab class...
Your choice.
HA!

I appreciate the discussions we've been having, let's strap it down and not just post for the post count.

Wanna do that?
If not:

Take it somewhere else!

Eviebae
Mar 11th, 2011, 09:52 PM
Like the idea of Nanotech but doesn't seem likely at this point

Nano technology is sort of science fiction's "magic wand" at this point. You can make it do anything. Same with The Singularity and parallel universes. I almost think the reason behind it all should be left open--like it could have been one of many things or a combination. That way you don't risk having a Battlestar Galactica ending.

Onslaught
Mar 16th, 2011, 01:10 PM
It could also be a combintation of a virus and bacteria doing something to the body.
I'm pretty sure it has to be a virus or some type of bacteria. How else would it mutate the body enough to make these special zombies, and even the zombies at all. It would have to somehow kill the host then take over the body. Now I'm not saying it is a parasite or anything... although that could be logical.

Eviebae
Mar 16th, 2011, 03:44 PM
It would have to somehow kill the host then take over the body.

In a story like Dawn of the Dead, that would make more than a little sense. In this zombie story, it doesn't seem like the zombies are dead and reanimated but alive and mutated. The changes we see could be the result of an extremely powerful mutagen combined with something to guide the mutation.

I can't decide if the zombie types we've seen are the result of the mixing in the DNA of various animals (like rhinos and Behemoths, or Runners and deer or cheetahs) or if it builds on variations in the human physique.

Blood & Ice Cream
May 10th, 2011, 11:23 AM
loving the map and all the references to real world places (e.g. Liberty Park etc)

but never realised until looking at it closer that it has the first day outbreak timing on it as well, with the earliest time noted in the Inglewood area, now there is not that much in Inglewood of interest apart from a big cemetery (mmm), but right next to Inglewood is a major international airport

one of my theories is this is how the virus was spread into LA via this airport, it is a manmade virus being spread by plane (in a '12 Monkeys' stylee virus attack)...

clarkie
May 10th, 2011, 03:16 PM
It's interesting to suggest that the virus was flown in (whether on purpose or not) and I think it would make for a more curious story if they found out that ground zero wasn't in LA.

That said, a cemetery seems suspicious. Perhaps not all of the zombie's are people that have 'turned'. The virus could've leaked into the cemetery - maybe the first few zombies were indeed living dead.

cycogod
May 10th, 2011, 03:17 PM
yeah an airport spreading whatever it is. within a day the world could be infected. thay always talk about a pandemic. and it would make it easy to look like an accident?

Eviebae
May 11th, 2011, 12:46 PM
yeah an airport spreading whatever it is. within a day the world could be infected. thay always talk about a pandemic. and it would make it easy to look like an accident?

Anyone else remember that scene in 12 Monkeys where the Apocalypse making scientist opened the "empty test tube" (that had the virus in it) and let the security guard sniff it to show it was empty? ::shiver::

Mikeyd2tall
May 11th, 2011, 12:50 PM
i love this idea!

Eviebae
May 11th, 2011, 02:42 PM
i love this idea!

The only problem is we are centuries away from this sort of technology or science. We can fiddle with DNA, target gene sequences and get viruses to deliver gene therapy...sorta.

When a virus jumps hosts it often kills, something it doesn't want to do because it wants us to walk around coughing without covering our mouth and not washing our hands. They want taxis, not corpses. Whatever this is, it makes people mutate in very specific ways and it doesn't kill them.

I mean, you could have an evil mad genius somewhere...

Grognaurd
May 18th, 2011, 08:40 AM
The only problem is we are centuries away from this sort of technology or science. We can fiddle with DNA, target gene sequences and get viruses to deliver gene therapy...sorta.

When a virus jumps hosts it often kills, something it doesn't want to do because it wants us to walk around coughing without covering our mouth and not washing our hands. They want taxis, not corpses. Whatever this is, it makes people mutate in very specific ways and it doesn't kill them.

I mean, you could have an evil mad genius somewhere...

But, dude! There are ZOMBIES running around eating people! If the listener is going to suspend disbelief and allow a rampaging zombie horde with some running about 50MPH, I think one should be able to accept a virus theory.

There really are not tooo many ways to do it.

A small chemical? Warps the mind of the person. But, Wouldn't it dilute out as it is spread from zombie to person etc?
A biological? a prion or hormone or something that the body can make and reproduce itself. Somehow it activates a positive feedback loop in the normal person when biten and transforms them.
A Microb I will just make it general. Have it encompass virus / bacteria / eukaryotic / small multicellular parasite.
A puppet master. A larger organism that usurps the brain and spinal column. Unlikely, but including it
Hardware. Some sort of man-made nanite thingamabob or something similar.

I think the lack of evidence of seeing anything leads to it being something small. Not a big puppetmaster hanging on the back of the zombie. Although a tiny one can not be ruled out. I do not think it is a chemical. I just think the authors would think it would diffuse through the population. In addition, we have strong evidence that the zombies sleep and eat. This indicates a metabolism and they would most likely "pass" the chemical our of the body.

A prion is something that is only recently showing up in sci fi. I would still consider it a "fresh" idea. It can mess with some cellular structures and modify behavior (Mad Cows Disease) But, the amount of information that the prion contains is very small. One would be hard pressed to make a case that it genetically manipulating zombies. But, take the prion as a base and instead of genetic transformation of the species think Frankenstienian. Graft extra muscles to the frame, Spice multiple bones together all kinds of crazy stuff. Muscles can still contract and the body can flex as much as 12hours after death as long as they are supplemented with an electric current. Yea, the idea has been around a while, but what is old is new, right?

A DNA based vector (virus or other) could possibly rewrite genetic code to bring about different types of zombies. There are many examples in nature where a DNA-based vector modifies the behavior of its host. I think everyone is generally familiar with this.

So, if I have to take the plunge and make the call I will go with Biological Agent (Prion) / Frankenstein. It is one of the fresher zombie ideas out there.

clparson
May 18th, 2011, 08:50 AM
Just thought I would add my two cents here. Lets not forget meningitis and also the various fungi that invade the minds of other animals. For instance, there is a fungi that infects the brain of ants and causes them to wonder around to a branch and bite the branch. After the ant has a firm grip on the branch, the fungus kills the ant and grows out of its head. It releases spores to infect other ants. I don't think it would be a stretch for some kind of fungi like that to evolve and mutate to take over human minds. Dum dum dum!

clparson
May 18th, 2011, 08:51 AM
I think the zombies in We're Alive is caused by ALIENS!!!! Perhaps ground zero was actually a crash site of some kind.

Nevermatter
May 18th, 2011, 09:14 AM
I think the zombies in We're Alive is caused by ALIENS!!!! Perhaps ground zero was actually a crash site of some kind.

Oh god I hope not, I think KC has done an awesome job of just having one fantasy element (zombies). I hate it when stories star using more fantasy to explain fantasy. I'm looking at you Leviathan Chronicals!

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
May 18th, 2011, 10:10 AM
Did we just start another thread about HOW this started? LOL.

Jeebogs
May 26th, 2011, 03:37 AM

I like this idea, but perhaps not in just tattoo ink, but in a particular food brand - not all people adhere to the same brand.
When a secondary activation compound is then released into that same product, we see the people, already impregnated with the 'sleeper' virus, then turn. It would help explain the global impact of the simultaneous infection. Or like you've said Eviebae, the activator could be some kind of sound frequency or radiation that could easily be set off around the world from various centres.
All this would kind of hint toward a massive global conspiracy though.....

7oddisdead
Jun 6th, 2011, 04:06 PM
Bump it on up

7oddisdead
Jun 6th, 2011, 05:40 PM
so...ive been researching infrasound waves and the effects on the human body. the decription pegs and victor give are similar to the effects of infrasound on the human body, the frequency would have to be at a very high db level to produce the kinds of affects they felt in such a short time frame...the interesting thing about the infrasound theory...is the varing affects it can have on the human body....example; a wave of 8 to 14 hz at 70db is a fda recognised form of massage therapy...and a 8hz tone at 120db will cause nausea, headaches, loss of balance, motor function, etc....after some exposure time..not immediate though..so how low of a freq. and how high a db would the thing at ground zero have to be???....still looking into that..also does not explain how one goes from being nausious and choking to a zombie flesh biter....but hey its something

mastafigz
Jun 7th, 2011, 06:35 AM
Just reading through this thread I noticed a big argument against an airborne virus. nikvoodoo said everyone would have to be immune to it to not get it. It is possible that when the virus is in an infected human, it evolves because of the host. What if the virus evolves and it now spreads from person to person?

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Jun 7th, 2011, 07:43 AM
Hey Figz,

What's your counter argument..sorry, counter point, about it not being Airborne? Humans as the vectors makes it transmitted by fluid doesn't it?
Can you please expand on your comment?

Thanks

mastafigz
Jun 7th, 2011, 07:50 AM
Hey Figz,

What's your counter argument..sorry, counter point, about it not being Airborne? Humans as the vectors makes it transmitted by fluid doesn't it?
Can you please expand on your comment?

Thanks
I mean that, it's possible, that people can be immune to it while it's just an airborne contaminent, but once it's inside a host who isn't immune, it evolves and can be passed along through biting.

Grognaurd
Jun 7th, 2011, 07:51 AM
I posted something similar in the chapter 22 thread

If the causitive agent was airborn, I would expect to see a Plume. It would be a foci that spreads outwards ever dispersing in the wind.

It could be there was no wind. Or, it could be a bunch of zombies radiating outwards.

7oddisdead
Jun 7th, 2011, 08:05 AM
Airborne virus would be an interesting angle. Also, many bacteria react only to certain conditions and not others..it is fully possible to have an airborne bacteria virus remain dormant until given the proper environment to begin growing,breeding, multiplying .... I deal with this on a daily basis. So in my opinion you would only need the initial reaction at the source (ground zero) to start the wave outward. And if the catalyst is something that only you can control....well, there you go

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Jun 7th, 2011, 09:03 AM
70DD,

Wouldn't a micro organism not disperse after a while? Direct contact with the initial dispersal agent would cause the immediate area to become infected through inhalation (it's Locus) but anything after that would have to be caused by a mutation of the infection itself in the victims.

The agent itself would become victim of the elements and become impotent before evaporation or dying correct? Humidity, wind strength/direction, sun exposure

Doesn't the amount of Microns also have something to do with it?

One point about Victor being affected after Pegs. Physical health/condition plays a big part in resistance. Victor was in a better environment than the tower inhabitants. I'm just assuming that he's not only going to be bigger, but in better shape than Pegs.

Ground Zero (Crowbar's Hypothosis)

Well, from the sound of it, the symptoms displayed sounds just like those that radiation poisoning causes. A few of the early symptoms are nausea and vomiting.
- Stuff in the area would still be irradated. Cars, buildings, the ground...

On the other hand, having allergies to all kinds of unknown plant spores, it really sounds.. feels like spores are still hanging around. Them traveling would kick up dust and pollen which would cause all kinds of biological stuff to start going wrong with them. It sounded like their respiratory systems were compromised.

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Jun 7th, 2011, 09:06 AM
I mean that, it's possible, that people can be immune to it while it's just an airborne contaminent, but once it's inside a host who isn't immune, it evolves and can be passed along through biting.

Gotcha. I'm with you know. The pathogen's life cycle evolved in order to stay alive. Initial dispersal was by aerosol, then once it was inhaled its second function kicked in. It mutated and continues to mutate because it doesn't want to die.

7oddisdead
Jun 7th, 2011, 09:15 AM
Crowbar
Your absolutely right. Whatever In the immediate area would be infected at point of contact. any other bacteria or what have you should die off. At that point whatever needed to be spread has been. Which would be why nobody (at least if I'm remembering correctly) is noted as turning after the fact. I'm fuzzy on that so don't hold me to that one...now lets say to activate the bacteria,virus whatever you needed something outside the environment or the host....radiation? basically think part one is my theory and part two is your theory...then a wave of undead spreads out...

Rune
Jun 8th, 2011, 08:01 PM
OI vote against the virus being airborne because that would mean everyone alive now is immune,

In order to go from the scarred/ambling idiot zombies to the specialized class of zombie: the virus would have to undergo a rapid mutation.

I agree, airborn isnt very likely, unless it attack upon predispositions (not 2 zombification but something like... I dont know, green eyes or something, just putting out an idea of how it could work). Then I would effect only certain ppl from the air borne or water borne virus. But this would mean the virus would b different or at least more virile as a direct transfer and there is no mention of spontaneous changes, as you would expect at least a few ppl 2 notice. Which makes the air or water borne virus pretty much debunked. It would have to be direct transfer. Which implies multiple locations of infection 4 it to spread so quickly.

another thought with air borne it could have laid dormant in ppl until it was activated by some1. ie nano-tech machines absorbed into the blood. It would still require the predisposition to a certain genetic factor. This would mean that it was engineered, probably as a dooms day virus. Which would b a cool spin I think.

The mutation of the virus could b, and this is an old theory me and some friends have been throwing around about multiple variants from the same virus, that the virus reacts to different ppl in different ways. Burt with his 'The smarter you were in life' theory comes to mind. How ever it may be a family tree like thing. If you were bitten by this guy you will become this type of zombie due to the concentration of the virus (or the mutagen what ever it is).

mastafigz
Jun 9th, 2011, 05:39 AM
Continuing with the theory of an airborne contaminent, what if the virus is actually gone from the air? One of the big arguments against the virus being airborne is that the virus would be gone. The virus doesn't need to be around anymore, it has served it's purpose. I think Pegs and Vic got sick due to slight radiation. I'm sure an explosion of that magnitude, in a place where a zombie virus is being created would leave some kind of toxic waste, thus making Vic and Pegs sick. I think assuming that they got sick from the virus is a miscalculation, and we need to assume that the two aren't related, if we are going to believe that the virus was spread by air. If the virus wasn't spred through the air, how else do you explain the explosions heard in Chapter 1?

Wicked Sid
Jun 9th, 2011, 04:24 PM
I had a theory a little while ago that the explosions were actually Radon Labs' way of trying to contain the contaminant before it became too widespread. They could have been trying to destroy an escaped patient zero and their recently turned first exposures.

It could always be a bacterium with a viral infection to create a two-stage infectant (Bacteria for easiest transmission, viral for the staying power). After the initial bacteria enters the system, it dies off. Leaving the virus to infect surrounding cells; using them for mitosis, mutation and energy (as many viral infections do).

Grognaurd
Jun 9th, 2011, 04:48 PM
radiation poisoning does not hit that fast unless it is a massive dose and at that level people do not get better just by leaving the area.

There are persistent chemical weapons, but I think those tend to be nerve agents. Early signs for that are kin a the opposite. People crap their pants before they throw up. But, it could be something else. It can act upon inhalation. It can also be a transdermal.

I am partial to subsonics, but an EMF might do something similar. But I do not recall symptoms that severe. But, scifi ups the sci. Now, if we see a 200 meter worm I will know that my We're Alive got corrupted by the dessert sands.

7oddisdead
Jun 9th, 2011, 11:18 PM
I was initially thinking subsonics or infrasonics. But the sheer size of equipment needed to do that to an area of that size just doesn't seem feasible..some type of radiation is a much more realistic option, for what that's worth...;)

StickUpKid
Jun 17th, 2011, 10:26 PM
This will probably be moved but I would like to hear people theories on ground zero(inglewood)

In order for the air to be bad wouldn't it have to be something like a bomb poisoning the air?

It could be a bomb but very unlikely that would have been noticed but idk

Osiris
Jun 17th, 2011, 10:28 PM
Unless I am mistaken, there is already a thread on this. But...

I'd be inclined to consider a lab accident due to the 'evolved cognitive reasoning' of the 'zombies'. As for the general feeling... I'm leaning towards something else. I'm in the process of writing a blog about the theory, so until then... it remains guarded.

7oddisdead
Jun 17th, 2011, 10:33 PM
Yep. There's a thread..page two..id add a link but I'm mobile...windows phone don't do links very easily(least I haven't figured it out yet)...lots of good thoughts there

StickUpKid
Jun 18th, 2011, 06:47 AM
If I'm correct isn't inglewood a suburb I'm not familiar with L.A where would a lab be?

Grognaurd
Jun 18th, 2011, 09:44 AM
Yea, it is not in the heart of LA, but I would consider it part of the greater LA area.

StickUpKid
Jun 18th, 2011, 10:57 AM
Then where would a secret lab be in suburb area and the resisted hailed have seen something suspicious right?

Fishie
Jun 18th, 2011, 11:16 AM
I'm bumping this thread back onto the first page, as another thread about this has appeared. Should they be merged?

Some very interesting hypotheses in this thread... I want to ponder it a bit more, and do some relistening, before I add my own thoughts!

Fishie
Jun 18th, 2011, 11:17 AM
The other thread is here (http://zombiepodcast.com/forum/showthread.php?1022-Ground-Zero-The-infection-that-ended-society.-How-Did-it-Start), I've already bumped it because there are some very detailed posts with suggestions that are worth reading!

Solanine
Jun 18th, 2011, 11:31 AM
Hey guys, I don't know whether anyone has mentioned it but there is a Bio-mechanical lab in Inglewood. Possibly the hypothetical lab that caused ground zero is loosely based on this. If there is someone still there it could account for the sudden appearance of the little ones, and the tattoos. Also it would explain why the noise machine as mentioned on WND (I can't exactly remember who's theory it was). Someone is still out there creating new breeds of "them". Or trying to undo what he/she has done. Sorry if someone else has already said this, the thread is probably very interesting but my response is TLDR.

ClearSights
Jun 18th, 2011, 01:53 PM
I still believe that the ground zero like smell or effect or whatever it is, Is just what Burt guessed, that the people that created it are still surviving in maybe an underground place trying to experiment still. And that effect that people feel is just there defense mecanism, just incase of this exzact senario

Solanine
Jun 18th, 2011, 02:21 PM
I still believe that the ground zero like smell or effect or whatever it is, Is just what Burt guessed, that the people that created it are still surviving in maybe an underground place trying to experiment still. And that effect that people feel is just there defense mecanism, just incase of this exzact senario

Either you just agreed with me or you didn't read any of the thread. Not even the last comment. Not that I can complain. I did exactly the same thing.

ClearSights
Jun 18th, 2011, 02:22 PM
Either you just agreed with me or you didn't read any of the thread. Not even the last comment. Not that I can complain. I did exactly the same thing.

Hah yeah you caught me, I just saw the title and was putting in my two cents

StickUpKid
Jun 18th, 2011, 10:08 PM
1. A mad scientist

This may be one explanation of inglewood. A crazy scientist in the heart of a suburb, who would look there,right?

2. The z bomb

Some sort of chemical or bio bomb detonated in inglewood there fore polluting the air and somewhat condemning the place.

3. The evil company

RAYDON LABS!!! The lab place a few times but with much speculation this may have been a test gone wrong.

aaronarturus
Oct 10th, 2011, 01:18 AM
I'll admit that I only read about half the thread, but did anyone think of the time Victor and Liz (I think) were driving and started experiencing discomfort (Liz threw up, Victor started feeling strange). That made me think that maybe it was some kind of nerve gas/viral combination. The nerve gas knocks out a lot of people, and kills a huge portion of others (explaining why there are no massive swarms of tens of thousands of zombies). The metabolisms of those rendered unconscious were primed by the nerve agent for the virus to take hold and start its process where they're turned into zombies. I haven't thought it through much further than that, but it seemed like an easy delivery vehicle for something to be launched on a global scale.

7oddisdead
Oct 10th, 2011, 01:29 AM
I believe your thinking of pegs...not to be a jerk, but just saying...and that theory makes sense...most people say either something along those lines or some type of long range acoustic device...i myself would much rather say the former vs the latter...

nikvoodoo
Oct 10th, 2011, 06:35 AM
The reason I think the acoustic device is a better choice is simply because of the uncontrollable nature of gas. Gasses fall on the mercy of the prevailing winds. Sound waves don't.

7oddisdead
Oct 10th, 2011, 08:39 AM
only reason im against the acoustic device idea is effects of sound waves on natural surroundings ie: buildings, windows, etc...the freq range needed to have effects on humans and not be audible would damgage structures, what type of damge depending on freq bandwidth..high or low...

aaronarturus
Oct 11th, 2011, 04:05 AM
I believe your thinking of pegs...not to be a jerk, but just saying...and that theory makes sense...most people say either something along those lines or some type of long range acoustic device...i myself would much rather say the former vs the latter...

Not a jerk at all, my friend :) My brain doesn't always work like I want it too now that I'm past 30 and work the shriveled hunk of gray matter to the bone translating all day. Huh. Maybe I just figured out the cause of the plague after all.

7oddisdead
Oct 11th, 2011, 06:26 AM
Seems a solid theory...i know after a night of solid math I feel like a member of an undead horde myself...

But on topic, I was researching the effects of stimuli to the senses last night and I came across this

http://www.annieappleseedproject.org/patofopnaus.html

While most of it sounds like gobbledygook...it seems interesting when you consider the effects ground zero has on normal inside the "danger zone"...

Funny Muffins
Apr 10th, 2012, 05:46 PM
I am reviving my thread to state the following:
Next week will be very telling to my theories and how this all began and I will update this forum accordingly.

It is a shame you all decided upon new threads to spill your rantings onto...
:/

Osiris
Apr 10th, 2012, 06:04 PM
The reason I think the acoustic device is a better choice is simply because of the uncontrollable nature of gas. Gasses fall on the mercy of the prevailing winds. Sound waves don't.

Air turbulence does affect and distort frequencies you hear due to the fluxuations of air pressure in your ear. It would have an affect on a pitched frequency used to alter disposition/behaviour outside of a lab. Sound travels better through still air (to our ears). There are too many variables to consider, though it is a reasonable consideration and if close enough to the signal air movement shouldn't be a factor. You're only partly right.

Osiris
Apr 10th, 2012, 06:05 PM
Seems a solid theory...i know after a night of solid math I feel like a member of an undead horde myself...

But on topic, I was researching the effects of stimuli to the senses last night and I came across this

http://www.annieappleseedproject.org/patofopnaus.html

While most of it sounds like gobbledygook...it seems interesting when you consider the effects ground zero has on normal inside the "danger zone"...

Cue Kenny Loggins?

I'm also alive
Apr 18th, 2012, 09:51 AM
My theory is that datu is behind it all and has either cloned himself or can teleport to be in two places at once, this will counter any argument you have against this theory. :)

Funny Muffins
Oct 21st, 2013, 01:37 PM
Radeon labs son.... That ends this discussion.

Solanine
Oct 21st, 2013, 02:10 PM
Oh wow. Why didn't we think of that. Oh well case closed I guess.