PDA

View Full Version : We're Alive: The Book?

SleepyGlenn
Feb 25th, 2011, 04:09 PM
Hey guys!

Okay, well this isn't so much a serious suggestion so much as wishful thinking. I was thinking to myself the other day how awesome it would be if We're Alive had a spin-off book! I would definately buy that.

Obviously it would be a lot of work for the writer. KC clearly has the talent but writing a book in addition would kill him resulting in less We're Alive episodes due to his death. :-( And there'd STILL be iTunes reviews demanding twice weekly episodes from his corpse. I suppose if it could be written by a particularly dedicated We're Alive fan, and approved/proofread by KC, it could possibly happen one day.

But if the demand isn't out there, it would be a lot of hard work for little reward. What do you guys think? Would you like to read a We're Alive short story/novel? :-)

Onslaught
Feb 25th, 2011, 04:54 PM
I know I would want to see a We're Alive book, and I'm just saying this but I believe this is true, Wicked Sid is a great writer I read his story a while back and it was really good. He would be a good choice if they were to have someone write it.

Zombiehead
Feb 25th, 2011, 06:54 PM
That's not a bad idea, but that would mean the writer would have to know all the details of the plot and if the book was released before I heard all the seasons... I wouldn't be happy. Heaven forbid something was leaked and ruined the suspense of the audiodrama. When the podcast is finished *sob* I can see that as a way to increase circulation and sales.

cycogod
Feb 25th, 2011, 08:13 PM
great idea. the journels would be cool, with handwritten fonts for effect. maybe differnet viewpoints or accounts of events that have happened.anything to enhance an already great story.maybe audio versions read by the voice actors...??? I'd buy that for a dollar.

Kc
Feb 25th, 2011, 10:45 PM
I've thought about it... I'm a bit of a control freak for content involving WA so I'd want to have a lot of control... Maybe something for our off season? Hard to say...

ObamaCat
Feb 25th, 2011, 11:09 PM
A spin off following an alternate group of survivors in the same universe would be awesome. Even just the podcast [when finished :,( ]in novel format would be pretty sick and could potentially be offered to a larger audience. I'd buy it for sure.

Onslaught
Feb 26th, 2011, 07:46 AM
It could be about the second tower, that would be a pretty good idea.

cPT.cAPSLOCK
Feb 26th, 2011, 08:45 AM
A spin off following an alternate group of survivors in the same universe would be awesome. Even just the podcast [when finished :,( ]in novel format would be pretty sick and could potentially be offered to a larger audience. I'd buy it for sure.

It could be about the second tower, that would be a pretty good idea.

I'm not sure. On one hand, it'd be nice (more content, yay!), but on the other you'll get to know a lot that's also relevant for the main story. By revealing things about the second tower, you'd remove the mystery that the listeners currently share with the main characters.
Also, the team is already incredibly busy with the main script. I think it'll be very hard for them to create a second story, consistent with the main one and of the same quality.

Also, if the spin-off will require a lot of time, there'll be less time available for the main storyline. I think that could hurt the quality of the show, and that's something I really don't want to see happen.

SleepyGlenn
Feb 26th, 2011, 11:09 AM
Also, if the spin-off will require a lot of time, there'll be less time available for the main storyline. I think that could hurt the quality of the show, and that's something I really don't want to see happen.

Of course, nobody would want that. That's probably why it isn't possible.

Another cool idea might be prequels. Kalani's escape from Hawaii, for example.

Wicked Sid
Feb 26th, 2011, 02:56 PM
I know I would want to see a We're Alive book, and I'm just saying this but I believe this is true, Wicked Sid is a great writer I read his story a while back and it was really good. He would be a good choice if they were to have someone write it.

Aww, I'm flattered.

SleepyGlenn
Feb 26th, 2011, 03:02 PM

Aww, I'm flattered.

Is there some sort of story to be read? ... I like stories!

nikvoodoo
Feb 26th, 2011, 06:23 PM
The hard thing, as has been brought up before, would be revealing information in the book before it is mentioned in the series. Unless it's done in a way similar to "Flight of the Osiris" from the Animatrix. Information we already know, about a bunch of people you don't meet within the W.A. storyline, all of whom die tragically in some way shape or form. Don't ask me how we now have their story in a book form if none of them are alive to tell it....it's the magic of story telling!

Wicked Sid
Feb 26th, 2011, 11:04 PM

Its under "FAn-Submitted Content," This is, of course, if you haven't already found it.

*Gratuitous Advertisement!*

P.S. Its still not complete, I must get on that.

cPT.cAPSLOCK
Feb 27th, 2011, 03:39 AM
Well, I could imagine two things happening (both assume the characters write journals like in the podcast):
It's just a very sudden ending, because these guys didn't have time to finish their writing
OR
It's a very depressing ending, where one (or a few) of the initial spin-off group end up locked in a room somewhere, finish their writing and wait for their death. A bit like in the Arena, or a building that got surrounded and swarmed by the Zeds.

In both cases, the reader would've 'found' their journals.

SleepyGlenn
Feb 27th, 2011, 06:46 AM
Its under "FAn-Submitted Content," This is, of course, if you haven't already found it.

*Gratuitous Advertisement!*

P.S. Its still not complete, I must get on that.

Will check it out! :-)

As for the book's plot I still think there could be other possibilities. The creation of the colony for example. It also depends what KC has in store for us in future, there's potential for a cross-over character to be written in, in the future.

cycogod
Feb 27th, 2011, 10:48 AM
Hope's coloring book - pre attack and current works?? a cook book would be neat.

ObamaCat
Mar 1st, 2011, 06:47 PM
Another cool idea might be prequels. Kalani's escape from Hawaii, for example.

Yeah that sounds pretty sweet. A compilation of side/back stories like that would be pretty sick.

StepLaugh
Mar 1st, 2011, 06:57 PM
I honestly dont think having the characters we know would be a good idea for the book.

Maybe survivors from another city like boston, or chicago. Or somewhere else.

Same universe, different area.

Chelsea C.
Mar 1st, 2011, 07:17 PM

Yeah, my interest it piqued!

Wicked Sid
Mar 1st, 2011, 08:10 PM
If you include the characters from the story it becomes a Fan-Fiction, seeing as not all of the details are known by the writer. When the Fan-Fic label is applied it becomes non-canon which leads to a non-viable story arc. So, yeah, including the current characters from WA would be a bad choice unless sanctioned by Kc, as we've seen Kc likes control, ergo not a good idea. Kc knows what he's doing

I'd rather have a separate story with free-reign to take it where I'd like while having nudges and ideas set forth by Kc and co.

I could see it following a few tourists in maybe, southern Russia. Where they would have to think about warmth while dealing with the Russian Zombies. With it being set in Russia, far away from WA, we could see different variations on the mutations, maybe they're fat but strong and slower. Different assortment of weapons, etc...

I'm giving out all of my ideas! Hey! You! Yes, you! Don't read or steal these!

ObamaCat
Mar 1st, 2011, 08:15 PM
I could see it following a few tourists in maybe, southern Russia. Where they would have to think about warmth while dealing with the Russian Zombies. With it being set in Russia, far away from WA, we could see different variations on the mutations, maybe they're fat but strong and slower. Different assortment of weapons, etc...

God the idea of zombies who could adapt to cold scares me. That would be my last hope in a real zombie apocalypse, hold out until Canadian winter.

But I do agree, an entirely different setting would work really well. China, Brazil, Mexico, the Middle East, a radically different culture/climate could make for an amazing spin off. Desert zombies anyone?

Wicked Sid
Mar 2nd, 2011, 10:37 AM
It's also assuming the infection has spread past the Americas...

ObamaCat
Mar 2nd, 2011, 03:54 PM
It's also assuming the infection has spread past the Americas...

Very true. I guess I've always presumed it was a worldwide thing....

TKD SNIPER
Mar 2nd, 2011, 04:42 PM
God the idea of zombies who could adapt to cold scares me. That would be my last hope in a real zombie apocalypse, hold out until Canadian winter.

But I do agree, an entirely different setting would work really well. China, Brazil, Mexico, the Middle East, a radically different culture/climate could make for an amazing spin off. Desert zombies anyone?

My personal thought is that this could be really interesting in a place like china, where populations are vast but because of their ability to dictate and control there citizens maybe the government could have a foothold on a safe area and every thing is fine within there control besides the whole trauma aspect, and you have something set up like "S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl" where people are leaving the protection of their government in search of supplies or rumored groups of people that are fourming democratic societies in amongst the zombie wasteland uncontrolled by the government. maybe it could be about escaping the tyrany of the main government and all about a fully militarized civilization (that being the former governments safe zone) and the struggles of the democratic semi militarized militia forces (which would have to be far enough away and also have a strong foothold on resources that the tyrannic government needs)

ObamaCat
Mar 2nd, 2011, 06:07 PM
My personal thought is that this could be really interesting in a place like china, where populations are vast but because of their ability to dictate and control there citizens maybe the government could have a foothold on a safe area and every thing is fine within there control besides the whole trauma aspect, and you have something set up like "S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl" where people are leaving the protection of their government in search of supplies or rumored groups of people that are fourming democratic societies in amongst the zombie wasteland uncontrolled by the government. maybe it could be about escaping the tyrany of the main government and all about a fully militarized civilization (that being the former governments safe zone) and the struggles of the democratic semi militarized militia forces (which would have to be far enough away and also have a strong foothold on resources that the tyrannic government needs)

Ohh I do like that idea. I mean although it isn't 100% original, like you said referencing S.T.A.L.K.E.R., injecting zombies into anything always yields a positive result.

Solanine
Mar 12th, 2011, 10:38 AM
Could be interesting but i would rather that it was left until the end of We're alive so that it isn't a distraction from the podcast series it self.
I'm sure anything Kc writes will be enthralling.

Kc
Mar 12th, 2011, 10:48 AM
To be honest, my style is more script style, so it would take a bit of an adjustment. It seems I've been getting used to a "Tell you" rather than show you mentality of script writing.
BUT, I definitely don't have time to write any books right now.

Solanine
Mar 12th, 2011, 10:52 AM
Yeah I guessed that might be the case. But I'm going to be a fan boy and refuse to accept that the We're alive book written by you wouldn't be awesome.