PDA

View Full Version : Who or What is the Catalyst? What Will it Bring About?

Ryzilient
Feb 25th, 2011, 01:56 PM
As we saw on Monday, the first episode of the 19th Chapter was released, revealing the chapter to be named 'The Catalyst'. Listening to the episode I am beginning to think that the title of the Chapter itself is one of the most interesting things about the episode (Not taking away from the episode, but just from a pure plot standpoint.). It may seem to have an obvious answer, but what exactly is the Catalyst for? Do we know for certain that the Catalyst is Michael, or is it some sort of event that we will see happen by the end of the chapter?

I have three theories, some of which I will go into more detail about. 'The Catalyst' could bring about:

A war between the Tower and the Colony, as many are expecting.
A revolution within the Colony, though it is unlikely at this stage.
The death of a major character. I say this as we have not seen the death of a main character in quite a while, and as morbid as it sounds, we seem to be due one.

1. A war between the Tower and the Colony appears to be imminent at this stage. With a strong, prominent leader figure like Michael missing in action for a number of days without communication, Burt and the rest are likely to get worried. If Michael, Pegs and Kelly do not escape on their own accord, we may see the Tower fighting to get them back. As much as Michael regressed as a leadership figure after the war with the Mallers, I don't see anyone in the tower letting him go. However, the issue with this is how the Tower is to find out that they are basically being held captive. Radio is a no-go, due to access limitations and signal range. It is unlikely for any one of them to escape to inform the Tower; even if one were to get out, it is unlikely they would survive.

What the Catalyst could be: The captivity of Michael, Pegs and Kelly could spur the Tower from its current passive state (Based on information garnered up to and including 19.1), into action.

2. The Colony is clearly under the rule of a deceptive, oppressive dictator. Marcus' two-faced and lying nature is made readily apparent, based on his seeming inability to give Michael any solid information on his military background, and the fact that he seemed to be a decent person one minute (This is from Michael's perspective. He does not trust him at one point, but that appears to change.), and then literally freaks at Hope due to her spilling an unknown substance on him. This erks Michael, and his distrust in the colony as a whole is shown when he beats (Note: epically beats), a supervisor with a shovel after he tazers Pegs.

We also have seen that there is an obvious distrust among certain members of the Colony towards the establishment and it's governing body. Victor appears to be warning M/P/K against going to the colony despite their enthusiasm. It is scary to see that Hope appears to have more common sense about this thing at the age of 14, when her elders appear to be fine with this situation, whether that is through fear or through the 'drinking the kool-aid' factor. Also, 'Guardians'? That screams oppression.

What the Catalyst could be: Michael gathering a group of anti-Colony survivors to cause an uprising. That or an event which causes many to see the obvious odd goings on in the Colony.

3. The last main character from the Tower we saw go was Tommy, I believe. Correct me if I'm wrong. That occured in Chapter 12, which was in Season 1. Although deaths do not happen very often in this show, we appear to be due a shocking turn of events. Michael has assaulted one of the supervisors, and even though his 'fake influence' has protected him and Pegs, I don't believe this will last long. This death may be the Catalyst itself, or the Catalyst could lead to the death.

What the Catalyst could be: Michael's actions against the Colony could lead to the death of someone close to him. Marcus certainly doesn't seem to be unwilling to do whatever it takes to make sure his authority remains as it is.

Wow, that was a long post. Anyway, sound off on this. Sure, it's a theory based on a chapter title, but it may have more significance that we think.

SleepyGlenn
Feb 25th, 2011, 03:32 PM
What the Catalyst could be: Michael gathering a group of anti-Colony survivors to cause an uprising. That or an event which causes many to see the obvious odd goings on in the Colony.

I choose option two! I think you've hit the nail on the head there. I think the Colony is going down... the question is how. I also wonder whether our old friends Tattoo Zombie or The Maulers will take advantage of the chaos!

cPT.cAPSLOCK
Feb 25th, 2011, 04:13 PM
Nice theories, let me comment on each:

I think #1 is very unlikely. If I recall correctly, Burt warned them explicitly that he wouldn't send a rescue team if things went wrong. I think he meant that, and gave up on them. Besides, Michael, Kelly and Pegs had been on the road for multiple days. The odds of finding them are way to small to risk it, as Burt doesn't exactly know which way they went (he only has an indication based on what he was told over the radio. But this was kept to a minimum so that noone listening on the same channel would know their position).

#2 appeals me the most. Michael quickly moved to a position in the Colony's hierarchy, where he has some significant influence on what's going to happen. Not only does this allow him to safe Kelly's, Pegs' and his own ass, but it also puts him in a position from which he could coordinate a revolution.

#3 might happen, combined with #2: during the revolution, there'll probably be a small-scale civil war. I don't think Marcus or any loyal guardians will hold back, unless they're severely outnumbered. Just like with the war versus the mallers, one shot can already be enough to cause the civil war to kick off. If that happens, anyone can get wounded, including our main characters.

If I had to place a bet, I'd say a 90% chance of #2 happening (regardless of other events), of which %30 of both #2 AND #3 happening. The odds that just #3 will happen, and they get kicked out of the colony or something, is pretty slim if you ask me. And #1... I'm pretty sure that's not going to happen.

Ra1th
Feb 25th, 2011, 04:51 PM
i dont see 1. happenning. M/P/K have been gone for days now, and no one knows where they are, from the tower's standpoint, M/P/K are almost surely dead. Burt won't go looking for them, he cant afford to, he doesnt have the resources the man power or the time, especially when the tower is in such desperate times. I'm not saying that a war won't happen, (I will bet you anything that the season finale will be a war between the colony and the tower + mallers as a wildcard) but until pegs or kelly escape the colony and return to the tower and tell em whats up, there's no way the tower could even find them.

the catalyst is michael, he will catalyze revolution in the colony. so yeah to 2

and sure maybe someone will die but who? not saul, why they keep him alive and suffering for so long and just have him die? no, not angel, he's the only soldier left in the tower right now, he's too usefull right now to just die, not michael, maybe pegs, maybe kelly, but i see kelly being the one who escapes the colony and makes it to the tower, but maybe she'll die after, or something who knows. No way in hell will kalani die, he's a PILOT, he'll play a role in the future. not riley, not until we find out if she's a lesbian or not, maybe lizzy

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Mar 4th, 2011, 12:09 PM
Howdy Partna's

My question is what motivation would the tower inhabitants have to put their lives on the line to fight the Colony?
Wars are started for not many different reasons. I don't see people who's only thought is to survive going to war against anyone who isn't directly attacking them.
Motivation aside, they're crazy outmanned and outgunned and the Colony is heavily fortified.
If the Colony is going down, it will be because it implodes like a North African dictatorship.

The tower only has Kalani, Burt, Lizzie (who won't leave Saul) and Riley as capable "Soldiers." That leaves us with about 13 "Civilians" who don't owe Mike anything other than giving them a place to hold up.

I guess I should really ask you what your definition of "War" is?

Adventureless_Hero
Mar 4th, 2011, 12:21 PM
the catalyst is michael, he will catalyze revolution in the colony. so yeah to 2

That pretty much sums it up for what I believe. I have seen how for a brief moment Victor had hope when he believed Michael would be taking Sean's position. We also saw how the doctor, I forgot her name, seemed to feel everything would be alright now that Michael was considering the position offered to him. Michael has a confidence in him that enables people to put thier trust in him as a leader. He also a good sense of right and wrong and conveyed that to about 20 or so people working in the park/garden. That one girl who was trying to warn Peggs seemed quickly impressed by Michael and what he could do to help her.

A revolution seems very possible. And it is my belief that Michael will be the catalyst. He'll likely get an opportunity to speak to the masses when he is brought out to be publicly punished (or executed). At least that's what I'm thinking the current events are leading up to.

Zombiehead
Mar 5th, 2011, 12:52 AM
I don't know if this has been mentioned somewhere already but:

Definitions of catalyst on the Web:

(chemistry) a substance that initiates or accelerates a chemical reaction without itself being affected
something that causes an important event to happen; "the invasion acted as a catalyst to unite the country"

I'm considering the option that perhaps this is one of those titles with a double meaning. Maybe this is KC's trickery getting us to only think of something happening within the Colony when something is actually happening at the Tower. We don't know how the Virus works yet or what it's doing to Saul. We know the Colony leaves the entry code attached to the door which could probably play a future role with the creatures/zombies. What if Sauls untreated wound plays a bigger part than we think? Saul = Catalyst?

DISCUSS.

nikvoodoo
Mar 5th, 2011, 05:19 AM
I don't know if this has been mentioned somewhere already but:
I'm considering the option that perhaps this is one of those titles with a double meaning. Maybe this is KC's trickery getting us to only think of something happening within the Colony when something is actually happening at the Tower. We don't know how the Virus works yet or what it's doing to Saul. We know the Colony leaves the entry code attached to the door which could probably play a future role with the creatures/zombies. What if Sauls untreated wound plays a bigger part than we think? Saul = Catalyst?

DISCUSS.

I'm going with not likely. Mainly because if the Catalyst had anything to do with the Tower, why are we spending the last 45 in the Colony? If Saul was the Catalyst, we would be hearing a story develop around him, not MPK

Zombiehead
Mar 5th, 2011, 06:49 PM
Well... we ARE collecting new zombie growls... aren't we? Damn, I knew should have entered.

Ra1th
Mar 5th, 2011, 07:23 PM
i have to go with nikvoodoo on this, for the most part, because of occam's razor. the simplest solution is often the one most likely to be correct. BUT I AM ALL FOR SOMETHING HAPPENING TO SAUL PLEASE I"LL GIVE ANYTHING FOR 19-3 TO TAKE PLACE AT THE TOWER!!! (the colony sucks).

Th3_T3ch
Mar 5th, 2011, 09:49 PM
I'm thinking a mix of 2, 3 and my own. From all the posts I've read about CB radios, Michael's transmission could have gotten to the tower (19-2 there is a click in the noise after Michael radios the tower). The tower could have gotten his message and sent a team out to find Michael's help and stumbled into the colony like MPK did. Once this new team shows up, they help spring Michael and start a civil war, losing a main character in the mix.